• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifon

Oh, damn it, how am I supposed to choose between Horizon and Zelda. Horizon or Zelda. Horizon or Zelda. Horizelda. Zelizon. Double damn.

I'm really pleasantly surprised about the positivity regarding the game's story, so that's something to really look forward to.
Damnit, same! I didn't expect such strong reviews, figured I'd wait until a few months pass with it being 2 days before the Switch / Zelda. Now with these reviews... I don't know what to do.

Fredrik

I've been hyped for this since the concept art leak. How time flies.

This final week of waiting is going to feel so damn long.
I actually thought the first concept art looked a bit silly but GG has totally convinced me that a robot dinosaurs adventure is worthy of all the hype and praise. This will be a GOTY finalist.

When paging across the reviews, at least the 5-6 I checked, the assessment of the story (either positive or negative) didn't seem to impact any notable variance in the score relative to the other points, so I left it out of my summary.

I'm sure that differed in some other reviews.

The two reviews I've read/watched completely (O'Dwyer's and Gerstmann's) both list the story as a standout, with Gerstmann calling it "near-perfect".

davitpr

I can't believe some are saying it's even better than UC4 in both graphics and story.

What a monumental achievement by GG.

To be honest UC4 story and gameplay was nothing especial. Take away the graphics of UC4 and you have a pretty average game.

thuway

So paging through the positive and negative reviews, my sense is that it structurally is a pretty generic open world game, but the core combat gameplay and design, along with the surrounding resource management system, really puts it a head and shoulders above a genre that is starting to erode upon people.

I also think they did a good job of removing some of the bloat from most RPG's. Part of the lure of playing the genre is character growth that scales with power - and hence the player's perception and investment into the game world. It appears Horizon has given plenty of tools available to gamers from the beginning for combat to feel substantial and used that as a driving force to push the - and honestly it sounds like it - very compelling narrative forward. So the game design and mission objectives might be similar to other games, but I think the combination of a well done narrative/strong gameplay mechanics/and visually arresting art design set it apart.

full

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
didnt expect these early scores. dunno if it'll hold, this game will be targeted for being an open world game and following open world conventions whether that is fair or not

GHG

Gold Member
Why? I'm hoping I'll love the game as reviewers apparently are, but there's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism for a developer that has been questionable in the past.

When put together, all of their previous games have an average meta score of over 80. That is not questionable.

I feel like sometimes people create alternate histories to believe whatever it is they want to believe.

KZObsessed

This is what happens when you give Guerrilla Games time. Hopefully they wont do what they did with the Killzone franchise and listen to the complainers and take it in the wrong direction. They just need to keep making what they want to make.

vivekTO

Play the game first. USgamer is a great site.

I'll answer that , you can explain the game flaws and failures in a meaningful way.
Doing so by being sarcastic and edgy , in my opinion is ridiculous and pathetic.
Just look at these lines

The view from the tip-top of a Tallneck is often breathtaking. ...This is a bad example though (sorry).

I dressed Aloy in the outfit where she looked like she was part-mecha, because of course I did.

If you want to do a jokey review than maybe its a joke to you.That is my issue with this particular review.

Although,every review is welcome.

Styles

Looks like GG has a hit on their hands.

What I've seen of Horizon have looked incredible. Can't wait to dive into the game next week!

"BUT GG NEVER MADE A GOOD STORY, THE FOLIAGE, ALOY'S HANDS, WORSE THAN ZELDA, REVIEWS ARE RIGGED"

Great job, a new IP is always hard. 1st of March can't come soon enough.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If the reviewer think that this is a shitty feature of open world games, it's perfectly reasonable to think that it's also a shitty feature of this game.

But that's not the impression I get from reading it.

It only seems to bother her in THIS game.

VanWinkle

So paging through the positive and negative reviews, my sense is that it structurally is a pretty generic open world game, but the core combat gameplay and design, along with the surrounding resource management system, really puts it a head and shoulders above a genre that is starting to erode upon people.

Pretty much. But I think it takes a very rare game to be more than a "generic open world game" from a structural perspective. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
didnt expect these early scores. dunno if it'll hold, this game will be targeted for being an open world game and following open world conventions whether that is fair or not

I mean. Most of the heavy hitter reviews are out already..

If it is "Targeted" it will be a minority of offshoot sites. That will effect the Meta sure, but it's pretty obvious the game is a critical success at this point.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Totally caught off guard that this is getting such glowing reviews. Was gonna get it either way but I was honestly expecting it to get 7s or low 8s. Glad to see guerrilla games have a hit on their hands.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The two reviews I've read/watched completely (O'Dwyer's and Gerstmann's) both list the story as a standout, with Gerstmann calling it "near-perfect".

The review ~5-10 posts up from yours that Loudninja posted is a good example of what I was talking about.

The reviewer said the story stumbled, but said it was largely irrelevant to their overall enjoyment of the game compared to other things, and gave it a 9/10.

The Easy Allies review is more critical of the story.

The review ~5-10 posts up from yours that Loudninja posted is a good example of what I was talking about.

The reviewer said the story stumbled, but said it was largely irrelevant to their overall enjoyment of the game compared to other things, and gave it a 9/10.

There are always going to be contrasting opinions, but I'm finding that the guys I typically share common opinions with are praising it, so personally I'm looking forward to it.

Edgy? Did you actually read the review or only the score?

I ready it truth is some of his points weird .
For eg it's a RPG so of course it going to have quest the game does not need a reason for the character to do it .
The same with him saying it has a identity crisis .

Theorymon

Guerrilla Games made one of the best shooter of all time on their 2nd try.

An amazingly solid albiet rushed game for the sequel. A flawed launch title, and the best handheld shooter ever made hands down.

Even I had my doubts that they could pull this off, but they are a fantastic developer, the only time they really seem to falter is when they are rushed. When given proper time to polish and flesh out games, we get classics Like KZ2, Mercenary, and now very likely Horizon.

Not to diminish this since I thought Killzone Mercenary was way better than I expected considering how apathetic I normally am to the franchise, but wasn't that made by Guerilla Cambridge, who made RIGS before getting shutdown? I figured they were basically a different studio, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom