• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots for Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch [SPOILER WARNING]

LordKano

With courtesy of Nitnendaan we have now some nice direct-feed screenshots of Zelda BoTW on Switch. There's a spoiler warning because one boss unrevealed in the trailers (but revealed in the GameInformer coverage) is there, I'll post it as a direct link to the screenshot, so you can browse without getting spoiled.

Source : http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-screenshots-2/

4X5zAas.png
CZdOkhp.png
n3pN2jE.png
vRUgYYf.png
iKBVwK9.png
kLb1FYH.png
R9jdrCO.png
ouEcgBj.png
J3E0Fyk.png
tuUwV8x.png
rfyheF7.png
rZ2DEFs.png
gaiz8n7.png
tka5Aah.png
SqVm006.png
wuLDCTu.png
lEzDVWM.png
WOKBXBU.png
Yzf9hXy.png
GNuaOC9.png

Spoiler picture : http://i.imgur.com/szZAGwv.png

Tagyhag

I really have to get into the mindset that the Switch is a handheld hardware-wise.

I look at those pictures and think "Style aside, it looks terrible" but for a handheld it looks fantastic.

Lightning looks cool either way :p

Platy

I would have guessed these are the spoiler pics because if there is something they aren't showing in trailers is towns and npcs =P

9Fg8fTj.png

Enemies, story cutscenes and fighting they showed a lot

Ridley327

Do they sell 900p TV's? They totally should.

There are probably some weird cheap-ass LCDs out there that do. I actually remember the old trick of those manufacturers advertising that they were compatible with 1080p sources, even when the resolution of the screen was 768p.

Xdrive05

Looks great! It's a little fuzzy with the 900p, but the AA helps a bunch to hide aliasing. I'll take the upgrade over 720p gladly.

I would have guessed these are the spoiler pics because if there is something they aren't showing in trailers is towns and npcs =P

9Fg8fTj.png

Enemies, story cutscenes and fighting they showed a lot

The Game Awards trailer had some town and NPC stuff.

Those screens are nice but damn what is wrong with those rock textures? I've been noticing that for a while now but in those screens some of the rock surfaces really look hideous, so fake and plasticky/silver instead of grey...

Pagusas

Elden Member
:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

Thats just a hot mess.

The woman's face is just mangled thanks to the poor resolution.

Game's 900p on Switch.

I don't understand why people are complaining about its blurriness. Looks sharp to me. It looks like it's using a pretty damn good method for anti aliasing as well which is why the edges looks really smooth. Maybe 2X sampling (Not sure which method) with FXAA?

EDIT: Maybe just FXAA. I was only looking at the first screenshot, but I can definitely see aliasing left over in other shots, but it still looks very good. There's only so much you can do with 4GB of shared memory.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Those screens are nice but damn what is wrong with those rock textures? I've been noticing that for a while now but in those screens some of the rock surfaces really look hideous, so fake and plasticky/silver instead of grey...

lEzDVWM.png

This is an all-around terrible screenshot. Not only texture-wise, but geometry.

I think this game is going to shine when played on a 6 inch screen, not a 50+ inch TV.

Venfayth

I assume the levels are not properly being displayed as these screenshots look fairly washed out, I expect it to look a bit more vibrant on the Switch.

Were these taken with the screenshot button or is that functionality not prepped for launch?

Yes, these high-res screenshots with developer camera and no UI, in some of them, were totally taken with the capture button.

Capture button is going to work at launch.

Well, there are some horrible textures here and there, but aside from that it really looks beautiful.

I wonder why there are so many low res textures, without them the game would look much, much better.

Oneself

:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

Thats just a hot mess.

The woman's face is just mangled thanks to the poor resolution.
Agreed but at least it's the best looking version of the game. -_-

Coffinhal

I love how the mid-day lighting looks. Look at these sharp shadows and almost over-exposed grass mmmhT

This is more important than the best AA and these best textures when you play a game in motion

wuLDCTu.png

Well, there are some horrible textures here and there, but aside from that it really looks beautiful.

I wonder why there are so many low res textures, without them the game would look much, much better.

Keep in mind that this was a WiiU game first. Of course they used some slightly higher res textures for the Switch version, but making very high textures on lower geometry looks horrible. I can imagine a future Zelda exclusively for Switch will look multitudes better.

EDIT: Personally, I think this game has better fidelity than Dark Souls 3. It's just that they have completely different art styles.

Qwyjibo

It looks... ok. Then again, I don't expect mind-blowing visuals from Nintendo these days. Even more since I'll be playing this on Wii U.

Hopefully I find the time to play it all the way through before Mass Effect comes out.

BeeDog

If I had a Nintendo console I'd be soooo much over this game, looks incredibly fun both in trailers and stills like these. But the game would've looked much better if they stuck to a more cartoony graphical style akin to Wind Waker, the semi-realistic texture work doesn't do this game any favors.

Top Bottom