• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

EDIT:

NEW MAJOR MOD: Morbid's Side Ops Expansion Pack

-Adds 50 completely new side ops to the main game!

HJzmseE.jpg

Don't get turned off by the word "side ops" for this mod. In the base game, 90% of the side ops were dull and repetitive tasks that weren't much fun at all. This mod is very different. It adds 50 unique missions for you to complete, and all of them are far superior to the side missions in the main game.

-Flavor Text: Each mission has it's own unique mini story. No more prisoner extraction 4 crap. The mission text for each side op makes them memorable. I can actually recall some of the missions by their name after completing this mod.
-Tons more variety: You'll be doing a fair bit more besides extracting people and blowing up vehicles. You'll be presented with unique tasks and challenges that were never explored in the main game.
-Challenging encounters: The side ops in this expansion can be pretty tough. The enemy count for every mission is high. The soldiers are heavily armed and armored as well. They're all geat for tense sneaking or exciting action shootouts.
-Remixed maps: The creator of this mod placed objects in various spots to cut off different entrances and sneaking areas. You'll be forced to find alternative paths in some locations, which does make some maps quite a bit more challenging overall.
-Great quality: Some of these side ops are easily on par with some of MGSV's main ops. I was definitely surprised by the care and attention to detail for many of these side ops.

If there is one negative thing I'll say about this mod, it's that it uses all the locations already seen in the base game. You'll definitely start to feel some fatigue visiting the same locations frequently in such a short period of time.

I don't recommend installing this mod until you're quite deep into the game. The side ops are definitely end game content in terms of difficulty.

Original Thread:

...with mods

I played MGSV originally at release on PS4 and had an amazing time with it. However, I was bit disappointed by some things that sort of bogged down the experience and hurt replayability. I picked up the the game on PC simply wanting a better looking version of the game, but I was legit surprised by the wealth of mods made for this game. These mods have managed to tweak and fix most of major problems I had with the original release. About year ago, I considered it a flawed masterpiece. With these new additions and changes to the game, It is easily somewhere on my top 10 games of all time.

Here are just some of the mods available that can really improve ones experience with this game:

1. Infinite Heaven
-This is the big one. It's hard to describe what this mods does, but it allows you tweak a lot of the fundamentals of TPP. It allows for so much customization of the core game, it's hard to wrap your mind around it.

Want to skip those long helicopter intros every time you deploy?
Want to make every mission have the SUBSISTENCE or TOTAL STEALTH modifers?
Want to make the open world more lively by allowing random events to occasionally occur when you deploy?

There is so much stuff that you can tweak with this mod, it's just crazy. And the neat thing is that the mod has a custom built menu that allows you to tweak TPP inside the game itself.
The crazy thing is that the person developing this mod it still working on it and adding new features. Recently, the creator somehow managed to add new side ops to the game. This entire mod is just super weird, but it really allows you to go crazy and tweak the game in anyway you want.

u5nZ69e.png

2. HARDCORE MODE

-My biggest complaint about MGSV is just how easy the game gets at a certain point. Sure, the enemies get smarter, have much better equipment, and react much quicker later on, but you get so overpowered at a certain point, it just doesn't matter. This game should have had a hard mode like Ground Zeroes. It would have made the game so much more replayable.

Well, thankfully that issue has been resolved now with the Hardcore mode. It adds back that nail biting tension and that feeling of overcoming a challenge. Enemies do more damage, take more damage, hear farther, see farther, wake up much faster from being knocked out, etc. The player has a drastically reduced ammo count, takes more damage, and has a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced health regeneration time. Seriously, the health regen thing is major, it makes the game much more focused on stealth. You can still shoot your way out of an encounter, but doing so requires a lot more tactical maneuvering.

It most other games, these types of difficulty changes would completely break a game and probably make them unplayable. However, for MGSV, it just...works. Seriously, the mechanics and flow of the gameplay are just so good and versatile. You could probably customize this game in a hundred different possible ways, and it would still still be tons of fun.

269-3-1457276371.jpg

3. Give Quiet clothes

- Ashamed of my words and deeds? No sir. Quiet looks dumb, and the reasons for why she is dressed the way she is is even dumber. It's a little unfortunate, because shes actually a very interesting character. The way the player develops a bond with her over TPP is actually well done and almost completely done through gameplay. This mod makes her feel more like a fellow comrade instead of just a constant sex object.
oa2YUrS.png

4. New Game Plus Mod
Self explanatory, another feature that should have been in the main game. Sure, you can replay all the missions after you beat the game, but the actual feeling of progressing through a story is basically gone.

pBriazk.png

5. No More Timers

I personally don't use this mod, but I know some people were annoyed by the mother base management in this game. This just makes so you can get items, bases, and deployments completed instantly.
4nfayr7.png

There are a lot of other mods on the nexus site, I just picked out a few that I consider to be the best. There are tons of visual customization mods on the site that also make the game more fun to experience again as well.
qW3JHzv.png

JtGbEdg.png

If you're interested in trying out some of these mods, you'll need.

QAR tool (mods requiring model replacement or changes need to use this)

SnakeBite Mod Manager (Installs most mods that make core changes to the game.

If you were thinking of diving back into MGSV, or were maybe even turned off by some of the design elements in the game, I would recommend checking out some of these mods and giving the game another go. It's not going to change everything in the game for the better. For example, I think the main missions have some of the best game design this generation, but most of the side ops are still lame and should be largely ignored. The online FOB mode, even after a million updates, is still repetitive and not really worth the time. I think playing the game offline is the best and most balanced approach. And the story is what it is, you either like whats there or don't. Personally, I don't have any major issues with the plot or its presentation. The entire experience still felt like Metal Gear to me. Although, I know some people definitely feel very different overall.

I originally considered MGSV to be a one and done kind of game. I thought it was a game I would play through it once and maybe return to it once or twice to mess with it. Well, with all these new additions and modifications, I've replayed this game from start to finish three times now...and I'm in the middle of another playthrough. Seriously, I can't think of any other 70-90 hour games that managed to grab me like this. After a few months pass, I start thinking about this game again and just have that feeling of diving back in, it's just so good.

I need to play the PC version of this game immediately. I hadn't even considered the possibility of mods.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yup it's a great game. 93 on Metacritic.

Plus just like the equally amazing MGS4, the backlash on this site was overblown when people turned on the game smh.

Jawmuncher

The story could have been way better. But the gameplay and tone of the game is top notch. It's the first metal Gear game where I really felt like a legendary soldier.

I plan to try out the mods at some point.

Svejk

Woah.. is there any mods yet on new maps? Or recreations of Shadow Moses? That was my one gripe of MGSV; not enough mega bases.

LowParry

Yup it's a great game. 93 on Metacritic.

Plus just like the equally amazing MGS4, the backlash on this site was overblown when people turned on the game smh.

But the backlash wasn't about gameplay. It was the plot. The connection that was suppose to tie it all together. Game just wasn't done.

Ratrat

I need to get this on pc. I want a mod that removes all cutscenes, briefings, helicopter rides. Just select mission from menu and you appear there immediately.

Tagyhag

Yep, I enjoyed the game a lot, and then I learned more about Infinite Heaven from people here.

Absolute game changer.

I could NEVER go back to playing it vanilla, you truly realize how much of an experience you're missing by playing it without mods. If someone really loves the game, they owe it to themselves to try it out.

kobu

Yeah I just can't be mad about the story like some people because the game just felt so fucking good to play.

Roldan

Huh, I only knew about Infinite Heaven. The other ones seem to be very useful, especially the one that remove the timers.

Only played the game on PS4, but I'm meaning to give it a go on PC.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah I could see how those mods really improve the experience. The timers and helicopter rides in particular drove me insane past a certain point.

However there are still issues with the game no mod can fix for me. Namely the bosses and story.

I need to get this on pc. I want a mod that removes all cutscenes, briefings, helicopter rides. Just select mission from menu and you appear there immediately.

Infinite Heaven does that. You can skip that helicopter ride and just appear on the ground immediately. It's great, saves so much time.

BadWolf

It's an amazing, amazing game even without mods.

Replayed it recently and just absolutely loved it all over again.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
But the backlash wasn't about gameplay. It was the plot. The connection that was suppose to tie it all together. Game just wasn't done.

That was the only weak point though, and the unfinished plot that was there was still good.

The rest? Puts other games to shame. It deserved that 93.

You can pull such incredible tricks once you've learned the ropes. Gameplay is untouched.

(Insert obligatory story letdown comment)

hemtaro

Neo Member
I quit the game after 5 hours or so into it. I think i was expecting it to be like mgs4 but it kind of surprised me. Maybe I should dust it off and try it again.

BadWolf

It tied everything together extremely well, even surprisingly so.

The only missing piece is
Episode 51
, and that's because it was supposed to be post launch DLC. It got canceled due to the Kojima/Konami fall out, so just bad luck basically. Even then the team put together a summary vid for us so we have a good idea of what happened there.

Theres very few areas if any that i would consider good level design. The way the character moves, controls, etc is top notch, but whats the point if there arent too many areas to use BB in?

I liked the Mansion, Oil Rigs was ok, and the one where you find the kids was fine too. Oh and the return to camp omega was amazing

SugarDave

It certainly is. I had a few issues with it as a Metal Gear fan going in with certain expectations, but I can't deny how much I loved the moment-to-moment gameplay for the entire 150 hours I spent with it.

Those first two mods sound fantastic. I wasn't sure I'd ever replay this game considering how long it would take to go through again, but I might just have to begin a full stealth, weapons and equipment OSP run someday.

Oh wow now that I have a PC I need to try this. MGSV is still my GOTG (hopefully until zelda), it has the best gameplay of any action stealth game ever made. It's a masterpiece of gameplay design. The story though, such a shame.

Permanently A

Infinite Heaven and no more timers looks really good, I really want to go back to the game the gameplay was so smooth. I'll have to look into those.

Toni

Its got the best third person gameplay mechanics ever in a game, without a doubt, with/without mods.

Followed by Max Payne 3 and Uncharted 4.

How can it be even close to the best when it fails at its open world, its characters and their development, the lack of any real story, mother base, which serves little to no purpose, has micro-transactions, has cheaters in its multiplayer portions, and lastly is just plain incomplete?

DOWN

Banned
It was a great game without mods for a while but a few hours in and you realize it is an undercooked disappointment that had so much potential

It is with or without mods. The issues with the story are grossly exaggerated around here and yes, this is coming from a longtime fan of the series.

It tied everything together extremely well, even surprisingly so.

It couldn't even manage to tie up it's own handful of plot threads and arcs that stall out mid arc, let alone tie together the missing gaps in the timeline.

I love the game but they really missed the landing when it came to the story.

jett

D-Member
I think I'll keep this thread in mind for when I replay this game, if I ever do. Honestly the worst part of the game for me (aside from the story and being an incomplete game) is how its structure and progression doesn't lend itself to replays at all, one of my favorite things to do in MGS games.

BadWolf

It couldn't even manage to tie up it's own handful of plot threads and arcs that stall out mid arc, let alone tie together the missing gaps in the timeline.

What did it not tie up aside from the missing episode that I mentioned?

And there is no need to tie up each and every lose end in the timeline of the series. MGS4 tried to answer all questions and it was a mistake.

Just finished for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The gameplay was astounding, had me completely hooked.

The plot was pretty bad, but it had some good moments ("Shining Lights, Even In Death).
I liked the Mansion, Oil Rigs was ok, and the one where you find the kids was fine too. Oh and the return to camp omega was amazing

giphy.gif

Uh no.

MGS4 was a lost opportunity, while the first two or three acts built upon Snake eater with a much refined control scheme, after that however the game is just a series of narrow tunnels or set pieces in between cut-scenes and boss battles.

nsr.gif

One of the best...sure. I can agree with that.

There are better though. There are aspects of the past MGS games that are better than MGSV.

Top Bottom