• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

nynt9

The polygon preview said they had hardware problem with the controllers becoming unsynched. That's not good.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/23/14709486/nintendo-switch-unboxing-impressions

So did this one:

http://digitalchumps.com/nintendo-switch-full-preview/

Same problem with mine. I think it is only one of the two Joy-Cons specifically however -- the left one. We've reached out to NOA and will update.

We didn't do a video on the unboxing or using the system but more so discuss how it is using it on a day to day basis.

During one part we do bring up two technical issues I have with the Switch, which I'm really hoping are just isolated to our console. One is with the battery not charging all the way even when it's docked, and the other with some issues of input lag in rare cases when the Joy-Con are detached from the console itself.

Nintendo Switch First Impressions - What's Up Games

(To clarify, for those inevitably asking how the hell we got one, this is a press unit for GameZone.com, which will be having a written preview up as well)

Edit: Oh! I see other sites have had issues with the left Joy-Con as well.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier also reports having that joy-con sync problem.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/834767748685262850

"Jason Schreier Retweeted Wario64
Yep, my left JoyCon desynchronizes as I'm playing. Gonna be a big problem if they can't fix this with a firmware update!"

Since there was discussion in that other thread about moving this to its own thread

2017-02-2316_50_34-jakksn3.png

Lucifon

I seriously hope this doesn't become an actual hardware issue as opposed to a firmware/software related issue.

Ridley327

It doesn't appear that there are issues with the L-Joycon when it's attached to the Switch itself (not that there shouldn't be, but you never know), but I'm wondering if this issue replicates itself while it's on either of the grips.

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
Sounds like something easily solvable by the day 1 patch, though I don't know anything about how that'd work- maybe it's actually physical and the left joycons can be easily defective. Hopefully it's the former.

Seik

Banned
Hopefully that's fixable via firmware update and it's not hardware related, which would be absolute shit if that's the case. :(

Chindogg

Weird for the lag when attached. I don't think there's any data being physically transferred when it's attached, just power.

I'm really hoping the L Joycons don't have defective batteries.

nynt9

Sounds like something easily solvable by the day 1 patch, though I don't know anything about how that'd work- maybe it's actually physical and the left joycons can be easily defective. Hopefully it's the former.

If it's a software issue, probably. If it's a hardware issue, probably not.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm sure they can fix this via a firmware update, but still... pro controller for the win

Joy Con Boyz stay losing

Krakatoa

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of doubt the sync issue will be fixed with the day one update.

If not, I'll return the system until the shit is sorted out.

Plum

Really, really hope this is just an issue with non-patched systems. If it's a hardware issue then damn, how could Nintendo possibly let this get past testing?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wonder if it's going to be one of those issues where those publications had certain type of or amount of bluetooth devices that Nintendo didn't test for

jts

...hate me...
I can't imagine how this is a general issue without being caught by QC. Assuming they did thousands of hours of testing.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on the issue though. Will wait for Nintendo's word on it.

The problem is probably in every unit, so if they can't fix it via firmware, this may become a disaster. Still, that's unlikely since you know... they must have tested the damn thing.
In any case, they should release a statement asap.

The best theory I've seen so far, considering this was never reported as happening during the preview events, is that maybe this is an unintended bug from an update to the system between the preview event hardware and now. In that case, it might be an easy fix.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would assume this will be fixed with the same update that unlocks the eShop on day 1. Unless it's a hardware issue.

Ridley327

I'm sure they can fix this via a firmware update, but still... pro controller for the win

Joy Con Boyz stay losing

The Pro controller isn't going to do much for those playing 1 2 Switch or Just Dance. Something that has a direct impact on a third of the retail launch titles (jeez, does that seem weird to type out) is something that needs to be fixed really damn fast.

Faustek

Have Nintendo even mentioned that they have the ability to write to the jc firmware? As I remember it took a while for MS to actually launch that feature as well.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The switch units used by reporters do not have the day one update for the OS installed. Just fyi.
Maybe it will fix that problem.

B00TE

This thread should be good.

Should be fixable with firmware I'm sure.

If it's anything like the switch preview thread seems right now, yup lol.

Hoping this gets ironed out, it does concern me a bit. I intended to play almost solely with a pro controller or undocking the system (where this wouldn't be a problem) but it's still slightly concerning.

Hasney

Does it though?

I wonder if some people actually had a Wii U at launch and saw how long it took to get that OS to stop crashing.

There is a day one update coming. If it fixes this or not, god knows.

The Wii U OS crashed? I remember it being slow as fuck until like the third update or so, but I never had a crash.

Kyzer

Banned
The fact that its the left ones and that these things werent happening before, its probably something that can be fixed through firmware. They messed something up

ChaosXVI

Oh fuck! Hopefully something fixable with a Day 1 update. The last thing Nintendo needs right now is a three red lights of death level hardware problem right out of the gate.

Top Bottom