• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki comes out of retirement to work on feature film

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170224/p2g/00m/0et/084000c

LOS ANGELES (Kyodo) -- Oscar-winning Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki has come out of retirement to work on a new animated feature, a producer at Studio Ghibli said Thursday.

The decision to return to work comes nearly three and a half years after Miyazaki announced his retirement.

Toshio Suzuki, a producer at the major Japanese animation company, said during an event held in the United States that he has seen a storyboard for Miyazaki's film.

"He is currently working hard in Tokyo to create it," he said.

Lmao.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
yUL3qZZ.gif

my theory is that every time miyazaki retires,he fully intends to retire.
he spends a week relaxing in a sweet deckchair with a great view, only to suddenly think "shit, iv got a great idea for a new movie"

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
How many times has the man come out of retirement by this point?

You fool! How many times must I tell you? The Japanese word for retirement is vacation!
Don't think too hard about what you just read.

d00d3n

This is like the "last ever metal gear game" thing from Kojima. Good to have more feature films from Miyazaki though.

watershed

Banned
The movie is based on the Ghibli Museum short he was making which was CG. So yeah, probably.

There was some off-screen footage of it in that NHK doc that followed the short's development.

I thought it was the opposite: the short is cg, the feature film is traditional hand drawn animation?

GCX

I thought it was the opposite: the short is cg, the feature film is traditional hand drawn animation?
The documentary implied heavily that after many struggles, Miyazaki made the decision to expand the short into a feature film. That means the short doesn't exist anymore and it has transformed into a full movie.

Everyone else is mostly mediocre to garbage and I don't want to end up watching weeaboo anime on my death bed, so time to get back to work!

duckroll

The documentary implied heavily that after many struggles, Miyazaki made the decision to expand the short into a feature film. That means the short doesn't exist anymore and it has transformed into a full movie.

Is that actually what the documentary said, or just the ANN article about it? Because I find the article really poorly worded and vague, but I haven't seen the actual documentary.

GCX

Is that actually what the documentary said, or just the ANN article about it? Because I find the article really poorly worded and vague, but I haven't seen the actual documentary.
I've seen the documentary and while I don't remember if it was directly said, it was really, really heavily implied. The doc is all about Miyazaki's struggles with the short and its CG animation. It leads the viewer to believe that in the end he solves many of those problems by turning it into a full length movie.

Or at least that's what I got from it. There's no sign in the doc that the script for the movie would be something totally different, quite the contrary.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Hopefully he's coming to finish the ending to Howl's Moving Castle, after realizing he forgot to put it into the original release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom