• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is Play Anywhere (XB1/Win10)

flkraven

https://news.xbox.com/2017/02/27/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-announcement/

Talion and Celebrimbor return in Middle-earth: Shadow of War, sequel to the smash-hit Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, available as an Xbox Play Anywhere title on Xbox One and Windows 10 beginning August 22, 2017. The title will also be available for Project Scorpio following the console’s launch this holiday season.

I thought this was a pretty big deal. I can't believe third parties are actually starting to hop aboard the Play Anywhere bandwagon.

oakenhild

They probably aren't doing it for free. MS is probably paying them.

Probably true, but for me this is a non-starter. I'm out. I already have Steam, Origin, Uplay, Twitch, Battle.net and Oculus Home. I don't own an Xbox, and don't plan on buying one. I don't want another service to manage my games.

Also, I have a Macbook Pro and like Steam and Battle.net on there. Easily the preferable way to buy games is with Steam due to the cross-platform support.

Edit: Disregard, read this as being exclusive to WPA, which it most likely is not. More platforms is good!

Mrbob

Yea, for me this is a non-starter. I'm out. I already have Steam, Origin, Uplay, Twitch, Battle.net and Oculus Home. I don't own an Xbox, and don't plan on buying one. I don't want another service to manage my games.

Also, I have a Macbook Pro and like Steam and Battle.net on there. Easily the preferable way to buy games is with Steam.
It'll be on Steam. Just get that version. 99% of PC gamers will anyway.

I guess that Resident Evil 7 XPA paid off? It's great to hear more and more 3rd party games (from different publishers) getting on board

Play Anywhere is like the whole reason I own an Xbox, but I got no need to buy single-player only games via Play Anywhere, at least not until Scorpio starts to materialize.

I wonder if anyone will buy it on Steam with the expectation that they can access it on their Xbone.
I would think that the cross section of steam users and purchasers of this game would be savvy enough to know the deal with the Win 10 Store and the Play Anywhere program.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Good to see other games are doing it, I'll still be going for the steam version though

ElNino

I don't know much about this stuff, can you transfer saves between the two platforms? Seems a bit pointless otherwise.
I believe so, but I haven't tried yet. I'll probably give Halo Wars 2 a shot at some point, but I'm not sure how well it will run on my Surface Book. HW:DE seems to run okay though.

Mrbob

Will the game be on Steam? Or will it be Windows Store exclusive like Gears of War
It's a 3rd party game so I doubt it's Windows store exclusive. Gears is first party. I don't have any details but that doesn't make sense to send the game to die on PC.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing more play anywhere since Scorpio is coming.

troopershades

Neo Member
This pleases me. I recently got an XB1 on the cheap and like that I can play on the tv when wife isn't around and then hop on PC when she's watching Greys Anatomy or something

I don't know much about this stuff, can you transfer saves between the two platforms? Seems a bit pointless otherwise.

Well, yeah, but it also means that you effectively own a PC and Xbox version of the game at the same time, that can be active at the same time, too

This is how I play 'local co-op' on home consoles these days because *SWITCHING TO OBNOXIOUS APOLOGIST MODE* nobody ever plays split screen anymore, which is why our gracious benefactors, the pubs and devs, have killed that feature dead! and I'm just so happy I wanna slob their kn *EXITING CLUELESS FUCKING MORON MODE*

so, with Gears and Forza, I have one copy installed on my PC and Xbox each, and I play on PC with my Xbox Live account, and then my buddy can play on my Xbox, same game, on their account. Boom! Local co-op.

Rocketz

Good to see more companies doing this. I buy most of my games digitally so in the future when I get around to building a PC it will be nice to be able to play these games there again/continue if I'd like.

I wonder the % of people that actually use this feature extensively. But hey, still neat.

I can only see it being useful for multiplayer games since there's still this myth about level playing fields.

I was able to play Gears on PC with one group of friends and then play with Xbox friends without having to buy two copies of the same game.

I know a lot of ppl going digital and this is good for that but until I can get a game for 48 (prime and Best buy gamers club price) I can't see digital being a better option than physical

Granjinha

you guys talk like the xbox division has money or influence to be paying devs to be part of a cross-platform program lol

flkraven

I know a lot of ppl going digital and this is good for that but until I can get a game for 48 (prime and Best buy gamers club price) I can't see digital being a better option than physical

I mostly buy games that have multiplayer or games that I play simultaneously with a group of friends in a party (ie. Stardew Valley). My fiancée and I each have our own Xbox Ones, so with game sharing I only need to buy 1 digital copy to get 2 copies for the house. So unless I can get physical for considerably cheaper than half price, it's just not worth it for me.

Hope I can get it for $40 at CDkey on launch.

Wow.. The salt and hate towards MS is clear as day in this thread.

No wonder people call this place SonyGaf
MS is just here to destroy the indsutry and our favorite hobby.

Probably, developing a game for X1 and W10 is so similar that having a W10 version is a no-issue and, given that Windows Store is so irrelevant, there is no way it would detract users from buying it from other stores.

Outrun

I wonder if anyone will buy it on Steam with the expectation that they can access it on their Xbone.

People and their expectations...

I think it will be clear how Play Anywhere works.

MS is trying to foster growth on their storefront. They are not in the business of doing Steam any favours.

Rellik

Wow.. The salt and hate towards MS is clear as day in this thread.

No wonder people call this place SonyGaf

I've scrolled up twice now and I'm not seeing any salt or hate. Maybe you posted in the wrong thread or just wanted to start an argument.

LewieP

Remember when MS partnered with a bunch of publishers to get PC games to use GFWL?

At least here there is still a proper PC version happening.

I doubt MS are paying in terms of cash, it's far more likely that they are marketing the Xbox One version (which will sell), but in return requiring an UWA version (which will not sell), and the publisher is agreeing because MS's marketing will also help the PS4/Steam version (which will also sell).

Hasney

Good good, although I would buy a Winstore exclusive if I really wanted to play a game, for all the "wait for sale" games, Steam is the way to go.

That's what I thought until I had to format my system just to get Forza Horizon 3 downloaded. Now I just don't bother with Windows Store for any reason.

Top Bottom