• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkansas Senate Passes Joint Resolution for Constitutional Amendment on Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
HIK9YL0.png

Background:

KTHV 6:05 PM. CST February 02, 2017

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - State senator Jason Rapert has introduced a resolution in the Arkansas Senate that calls on the United States Congress to hold a convention to propose an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

That amendment would prohibit any state constitutions or laws to define marriage as anything other than between one man and one woman.

According to Senate Joint Resolution 7, the Arkansas General Assembly would ask for a convention to propose an amendment which states:

"Nothing in this Constitution or in the constitution or laws of any state may define or be construed to define marriage except as the union of one man and one woman, and no other union shall be recognized with legal incidents thereof within the United States or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

In order for the U.S. Congress to call a convention for the amendment, at least two-thirds of the 50 states must propose the same amendment to define marriage as only between one man and one woman.

The resolution has been sent to the Senate Committee on State Agencies and Governmental Affairs.
http://www.thv11.com/news/local/ark...onstitutions-definition-of-marriage/395910726

Fuck you, Jason Rapert.

Loxley

In order for the U.S. Congress to call a convention for the amendment, at least two-thirds of the 50 states must propose the same amendment to define marriage as only between one man and one woman.

Good luck with that, idiots.

Was pleasantly surprised by the Arkansas comments this time. Everyone telling him to focus on other shit, quit wasting our tax dollars, who cares what gender people are if they want to get married, etc....

Ogodei

Stupid and dangerous. There's no precedent for a Convention, everyone could get together and decide to nationalize the oil companies.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck with that, idiots.

Republicans might only need two more state legislatures to meet that condition, though I guess it's not a given that every republican controlled legislature would pass it, and there are some other legal arguments that would need to be decided for if state laws forcing a public vote on constitutional amendments is constitutional.

Either way, it's way too close for comfort.

Fuchsdh

Well hate most recently won. And it is a handful of states away from letting an amendment like this actually pass nationwide.

More than a handful, considering you need to get 3/4ths of the states to ratify it. Even with the control Republicans have over statehouses, with nationwide support of gay marriage a solid majority it'd be a pointless and fruitless fight to have for them.

cordy

Banned
Christ, it's like everything that comes out of Arkansas at this point is just vile shit.

We had Johnny Cash and the man who had a sex scene with Ms. Halle Berry aka Billy Bob Thorton. Also me.

But we did invent Wal-Mart though. We got a monopoly that people don't know about.

I get that the newly formed United States didn't want big states to push around smaller ones, but this is the end result-- backward-ass state governments trying to dial back the clock on human rights. To be fair, that's why we got the system in the first place. So I guess it works as devised.

I love my country but god do I hate some of my countrymen.

Geist-

That's because Republicans still don't have enough state governments (they need 38). But as soon as they get them, it's time to put all this shit into the constitution.
I would have worried about them getting control of 38 states if Hillary had won, but the GOP controls all the branches, they don't have any scape goats anymore to drum up support during elections, and everything they do is motivating the opposition. GOP has no chance of getting a 38 state majority.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Lol yeah this won't happen. Most people either approve of gay marriage or really don't care enough to want this. In fact I would argue that this is a waste of time and money by the government because gay marriage literally effects no one except allowing gays to marry. What a bunch of stupid assholes. If they can't even get Obamacare repealed they have no chance of this ever happening.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What's the current polling on gay marriage in Arkansas? This seems like a pointless exercise of throwing red meat at the Republican base, but I'd like to think those who like seeing this have declined in numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom