• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 tech demo Twitch stream screenshots from UE4 conference [Up: Video]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125625961?t=01h04m14s

The link should take you to the right time stamp, but if it doesn't, it's 1 hours and 4 minutes in.

---

Notes:
  1. This is a demo of their current progress on their tech. This is still likely 18+ months out based on statements from Take-Two and Gearbox earlier in 2016.
  2. He's also very clear this is a tech demo and anything seen here might not ship or be changed.
  3. Randy hinted that this takes place on new planet(s).
  4. Randy also hinted that the character is someone we know when he was explaining why they weren't showing her face.
  5. Some of these might not have all the effects turned on because they were showing each part of their process.
  6. I took these by screenshotting a Twitch stream, so there might be some detail lost here.

Screens:

borderlands10btkss.png

borderlands12rrk28.png

borderlands66pj8s.png

borderlands7bykby.png

borderlands8vijyu.png

borderlands5pzjxs.png

borderlands3e1kfa.png

borderlands9xajjt.png

An additional screen they showed without any post processing or other effects in case you're curious what their base art assets look like.

Jawmuncher

It definitely looks like an early demo. Can't say it's very impressive even from the stream. They should've picked an area that had more color to show off.

KKRT00

Post-processing make it look way worse on those shots.
I think they just border out the main assets and make more stylized characters and call it a day.

_woLf

Character design reminds me of Lilith or an older Gaige.

The art itself...well, it looks like Borderlands.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Excited for borderlands 3, but a cel shaded game in a desert aint the best way to show off tech.

Really wonder how far into development they actually are

I know that these shots aren't any sort of indication, but I'll still say that if Borderlands 3 is just more of the same, I won't even have passing interest.

riotous

Banned
The last shot looks really cool; but it is a little strange to show off at that early stage. Some of the shots don't have shadowing and just look out of place.

Meh; I don't play Borderlands for the graphics either way... 18 months? Hngggggg

Neptonic

I will immediately turn the outlines off like I did in 2. Like changing that config file boosted fps by 15% and made the game look really clean.
All I care about is how they handle the loot drops this time around.

DrArchon

Yep. It's Mad Max in space. That's Borderlands alright.

Also, I agree with others that the pic without the post-processing looks much better.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This made my day, so glad to see it in development. Borderlands 2 was the ultimate bonding game for my wife and I. over 500 hours in it each now.

It definitely looks like Borderlands. Given how the pre-sequel failed to live up to 2, they've got their work cut out for them.

So...Tiny Tina as playable character? But not so Tiny anymore?

I don't think Tiny Tina is a functional character if aged. It's probably Nisha, who they've talked about wanting to bring back but was technically killable in 2. Facial scarring to suggest she's been in a bad fight and survived would explain the headgear. Mismatched sleeves and pistol holster were part of her original design as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To be clear, 18+ months was me working off of statements from Take-Two implying they have nothing for this fiscal year outside of RDR2 and their annual games, and Gearbox having only recently moved on from Battleborn at their main studio (in the Summer they had 20% of their main studio on Borderlands 3).

I guess it's not impossible they mill it out right away, but it strikes me as highly improbable. My point is more that these are early.

Gold_Loot

That's Boarderlands alright. now just add some cliché characters , bad dialog and a shitload of loot crates to open, and you'll have Boarderlands 3.

Interesting to see a developer being honest and showing where they are at in terms of progress and tech.

Hopefully this won't go bad for them and people will scream about it looking shitty and all that.

Have there been any remarks from Gearbox whether this will be a service game this time around?

jman4371

Neo Member
Played BL2 and Pre-sequel to death so I'm pumped! Early screens look pretty good so far. Reminiscent of BL1 environments (which makes sense for a first glance) but I'm sure they'll have more variety in the environments like in BL2. Can't wait to see more!

Boem

Wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the Tales from the Borderlands characters. That was easily the best
(or: only good)
Borderlands story ever told.

jony_m

Pre-sequel was bad, the humor style does not do it for me so hopefully story wise it will be something new..

As far as more deserts and rocks... well It is called borderlands, so it has to have a frontier theme/look to it at least partially.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it might be Springs. The outfit shares aspects with Athena's, but she's not really big enough to be Athena, and if Springs were to get into vault hunting, that might fit.

It's also very engineer-y.

springslskbr.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DerZuhälter;231270848 said:
Engine capabilities seem wasted on that artstyle. Barely any difference to UE 3. At least in those barren screenshots.

I imagine one of the biggest advantages is that their UE3 based engine runs like absolute garbage, so performance gains would help a lot.

Looks like Borderlands. Which is a bit disappointing I guess, you can have more detail even with cell shading, but then again these are very early screens.

KORNdoggy

I miss seeing tech demos like this. Where you have the obligatory balls of new, now renderable materials like refracting glass, water, or plasma. Now we just get a tech demo with characters shooting each other in some sci fi environment. Its just not the same.

Yup, that's a Borderlands. The Pre-Sequel didn't satisfy me so I guess I'm gonna stay thirsty for awhile then.

I really hope Gearbox took notes from Tales from the Borderlands in how they should do the writing.

Top Bottom