• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends as primary method, others detailed

Link.

Yep, we finally have our day one online functionality of the Nintendo Switch and can confirm that the main way to add friends will be using Friend Codes.

You can also search for local users, add friends you've played with and also add friends from Super Mario Run and Miitomo.

Although, it looks like you'll need to give someone a 12 digit friend code to add them if they're not on a service that you're connected to.

Pics in the link.

MOD EDIT: It's a one way trade.

So I gave someone else my Friend Code and had them send a request over. Once you receive the request, you get a notification with their Username and Icon. You then have the option to Become Friends, Decline Request, or Block. If you Become Friends, the connection is done. It doesn't look like you both have to trade codes.
Example:
M5ECEPg.jpg

khaaan

This was your chance at redemption, Nintendo ;_;

I mean I'm still going to get one and play a tonne of Splatoon and Mario Kart online...but dang.

I mean, they forced me to make NNID and a Nintendo ID account, both are UNIQUE and now I have to use friend fucking codes? I'm hoping they will fix this...

iMax

Are we sure we don't have friend codes and usernames? That's how it looks to me, anyway. It's probably there to add 3DS users.

edit: nope, misread.

TimmiT

Makes sense, Wii U not using friend codes was the reason it's the one Nintendo system with online that failed.

mcmudman

Neo Member
Oh gosh. Holding my breath. Nintendo why was it that you were planning on charging for online now again? Hopefully that OS gets updated with some proper features by the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

StayDead

It's not the only way.

The main way is likely through suggestions (people you've interacted with before on Nintendo Network)

wrowa

You are fucking kidding me, Nintendo. We were over this.

Will it at least have the Twitter and FB connectivity Miitomo and Mario Run had? That was bullshit as well, but at least something.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's an option. Likely because many people playing mobile games are used to this way of adding friends.

.... What?

But...But they moved past this with Wii U already.

They take steps backwards and want people to start paying? Nintendo can be confusing as heck.

Robin64

I mean, sure, it's an option (and why not the user id we just set up?). But you can also add friends with the following methods:

Are friends with them in Mario Run
Are friends with them in Fire Emblem Heroes
Are friends with them in Miitomo
Both have My Nintendo linked to Twitter
Both have My Nintendo linked to Facebook
Are in the same room

To say it's the "main method" is odd, because I will be adding about 15 friends, none of which will need to use a friend code to do so.

And remember, gamers on mobile phones are used to the friend code method. Basically every gacha game uses them.

Lkr

Hey look another Nintendo system that I'll have 3 online friends on! At least they made it easy to decide not to pay for online on their system. My Xbox isn't even currently hooked up and I'm still paying MS for gold

Top Bottom