• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

CaVaYeRo

So let's call it a rumour and I think it can have its own thread, but mods please switch it off it if I'm wrong.

So we learned from a very reliable source at retail that Sony is agreeing with some retailers to temporary drop the price of the standard PS4 Slim to 199 euro, be it a one-day sale for just tomorrow or today-tomorrow, as a counter-measure to Switch launch:

https://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/379813/Rumor+Sony+baja+PS4+a+199+euros+manana+contra+Switch/

We cannot say which retailer is our source from, but we can confirm this will be applied in several European countries, including but not limited to Italy. Perhaps you can take a look at your local retailer and confirm as well.

EDIT: Looks indeed like Germany, Belgium, etc are confirming this move.

EDIT 2: Aaand now it's official, and for those who say this is not to take the Switch launch as a chance...

17022017_10154880110220999_5371286628755815688_n.png

PS: Ofc there's no need to 'counter' when you're leading, but it's a great way to capture attention, fill some of the Switch missing stock or show off games library. It's just a competitive move. Then its taste is a whole different discussion :D

Piers

Why would retailers be trying to counter the launch of another console? Provided I read this right.

Vitacat

Impressive. I love Nintendo games, and am camping for a Switch today, but anyone who doesn't yet own a PS4, you NEED to get one. Amazing exclusives.

Certinty

I'm pretty sure most people that are buying the Switch have no interest in a PS4 or already have one. Can't imagine many are choosing a Switch over a PS4/XO.

I'm not sure PS4 is deterring people from buying a Switch, I imagine most people are either getting a Switch for a portable home console or because Zelda got like 30 10/10's.

I got an e-mail from a Dutch toys tore advertising the PS4 slim for €188,- for only today and tomorrow. So this seems to be more than a rumour.

LordKano

Eh, I doubt that. Must be just a coincidence.
The units that were going to sell thay day will just be sold the day after.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds about right...they had the same price for PS4 during the Holidays.
Sony has the retail pull for such short sales.

Guymelef

Last month before fiscal year ends, coinciding with Horizon launch.
I think Switch has nothing to do with this decission.

nubbe

day 0 buyers aren't going to care

They might pick up a backup machine since they are the type that burn cash

kennyamr

They don't want to "counter" Switch sales but instead they want to make a little dent in Nintendo's hype taking over the media for the next days/weeks.

They want to keep the PS4 fresh in people's minds. Just another form of marketing strategies.

Having said that, Sony will eventually start doing more of these promotions because they actually can.

And that's great for consumers overall.

People go to a store for a Switch, it's out of stock so they decide to pick up a PS4 instead? Seems like a good idea to me.

But that's assuming they would be buying each console for the same reasons. Someone who wants to play Zelda isn't going to just get a PS4 because the console is out of stock. But yeah, I can see this causing some people to get a PS4 instead

Justified

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?

Easy I cant see lots of Parents and Grandparents casually shopping, seeing the Switch posters and thinking "Humm maybe I should get one for little Susey or Timmy"

Walk in and no Switch is available, but hey the PS4 is 199 now. Guess Ill get that

emag

Already have access to a Wii U, so I'll play Zelda on that. If we see some $199 PS4 Slim deals in the US, I'm in.

Maxinas

I'm pretty sure most people that are buying the Switch have no interest in a PS4 or already have one. Can't imagine many are choosing a Switch over a PS4/XO.

People buying a switch day 1 are hardcore nintendo fans and idorts such as myself. It's great not being a console fanboy.

CaVaYeRo

Why would retailers be trying to counter the launch of another console? Provided I read this right.

Well see it as a chance, not a shoot in the foot: if they got launch shipment covered this is pretty much a sale opportunity for both Sony and the retailer, so they agree on these terms for a limited period of time right when Sony's competition is launching new hardware and store gets more beneficts.

FelipeMGM

I dont think this would make someone change their minds on buying a Switch on launch day

That could make someone buy both a PS4 and a Switch tho

Skeff

In the UK we've had a 2 controller and horizon bundle for £199 in quite a few retailers. So does seem like something is happening.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Isn't horizon not until yet in those regions either? Could help with sales of that game too. Don't think Sony cares that much about the switch as right now

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?

What's there to counter really? They don't even have much Switch stock to sell.

Hardware launch creates interest, gets people in stores -> limited stock means a lot of people won't get a Switch -> people see time-limited promotion of cheap PS4 -> decide to buy PS4.

I imagine that's the logic behind it.

Top Bottom