• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to play Snake Pass - Gamepad Controls explained by the devs

Wok

A video was posted today on Youtube regarding the gamepad controls of Snake Pass. It is called Snake Pass - How To Play.

qqYhBaf.jpg

I have written a quick summary, although I recommend watching the video starting at 1:05:
  • camera control with the right stick
  • (horizontal) head control with the left stick, relatively to the position of the camera
  • right trigger to extend the body
  • press A button to move the head upward
  • release A button to move the head downward
  • (basically, press A to kind of "jump")
  • physics-based game
  • left trigger to tighten the grip
  • press Y button to have the bird lift up the tail

This is the Steam store page:

It turns out the game is more a 3D puzzle game than a 3D platformer. I hope the controls of the 🐍 do not turn out as hard as Octodad's orI am Bread's.

maxcriden

The controls seem exceptionally clever to me, having watched the whole video now. The rhythm of the gameplay seems unusual and immersive in a non-gimmicky way. I was really confused before what the game was going to play like, so this definitely renewed my hype.

Deft Beck

I played this game at PAX East and didn't do the initial tutorial at first. I was pretty lost until I went back and started with the proper tutorial level.

It's an odd combination of joystick controls and trigger shifting to navigate Noodle in the environment. Not to mention that Noodle has to build up speed by slithering around a bit first.

It might not have the best pick up and play power as a standard platformer.

maxcriden

Thank you, it is fixed now!

Sure thing! Man, the tech video was really rad. It was very interesting to see the behind the scenes look into the systems present in the game. Especially seeing the "beads" the Snake is comprised of, and how much work was put into getting the grass to react. Very cool vid, thanks for sharing it!

Top Bottom