• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

TVexperto

Unfortunately, after only a week of daily use it's already gathering a healthy collection of little scratches in the bottom left hand corner, as you can see in the photo.

closeup-1fedcf66-5748-48df-b28d-39469fae0ea1.jpg

More: http://www.glixel.com/news/youre-going-to-want-a-screen-protector-for-your-nintendo-switch-w470245

Buy a screen protector

Feels like early adopters are beta testers

SCREENGATE 2017

Vashetti

Banned
You would think the inner area of the dock where it slides into would have a thin layer of padding. But it's just regular plastic.

Strange oversight.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Could this be just their unit? This is something they would test for before and after mass productions, right?

Also screen protector

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Could this be just their unit? This is something they would test for before and after mass productions, right?

Also screen protector

They did the exact same thing with the first 3DS run. They don't test.

Leynos

How in the world did this get through the design phase? You would think that, at the least, the device wouldn't get damaged through normal use.

LewieP

For everything the Switch gets right, it does seem rather half baked.

Why is it a hard surface touching the screen? Why not have some kind of soft material? Why is the screen even being covered in the first place?

Guymelef

Every Switch design decission seems like a master plan to make you buy some accesory.

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.

Servbot24

Banned
This seems like such a blatantly obvious issue that Nintendo should have seen coming. So obvious that I just assumed the interior was soft and didn't even worry about it this whole time.

DooMAGE

For everything the Switch gets right, it does seem rather half baked.

Why is it a hard surface touching the screen? Why not have some kind of soft material? Why is the screen even being covered in the first place?

the gap is big enough to not damage the screen, someone is doing it wrong.

KingV

Is the screen plastic and not glass? If so strange decision.

If it is glass, I suspect something else is scratching the screen.

Takao

Banned
Nintendo handhelds need to stop cutting themselves. First 3DS and now this. Emo was like a decade ago.

Jeff-DSA

Careful use will prevent this, but I knew it would be an issue for some. I worry about my kids, so I'm going to put some microfiber on the inside of the dock.

Maybe if you're jerking it out of there like a crazy person or slamming it in there. Treat it like a $300 piece of equipment and you should be ok, no?

wildfire

Banned
Every Switch design decission seems like a master plan to make you buy some accesory.

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.

Now it's confirmed Nintendo is also forming better unprecedented partnerships with retailers.

Mechazawa

wow sliding a screen into a thin enclosure that can ocassionally rub up against hard plastic has the potential to produce scratches however could nintendo's master engineers have foreseen this

They did the exact same thing with the first 3DS run. They don't test.

3ds all over again? Hopefully someone will come up with a solution

Switch Ambassador.

Joke aside, this is terrible in part from Nintendo. It's the 3DS all over again.

I missed the 3DS launch so I never knew about this. How did the screen scratch on those? Wouldn't the clamshell design prevent scratching?

I refuse to believe that their glass screen was scratched by plastic lol, especially as that's like the one part of the dock where there is protection

GOOCHY

You'd think there'd be a rubber strip on the inside of each edge of the dock so that it isn't hard plastic coming in contact with the screen.

i'm gonna finish zelda and sell my switch asap if this is true :/

edit: might as well make my money back for eventual fix

ehh that website is sus. wondering if there are other reports to this

Top Bottom