• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 2 [MGS4] playable on original PS3 Firmware (again)

NoFoX

Since it's shutdown on 12.06.2012 Metal Gear Online 2 was only playable on CFW (Costume Firmware) / Jailbroken PS3 systems.
Now, after years of waiting, the team from SaveMGO.com finally made it!

Code:
I'm proud to announce that we here at SaveMGO finally have MGO2 working on Official Firmware, along with MGO's final version, the 1.36 update!

This means that anyone on official firmware, meaning any PS3 console, will soon be able to play MGO2.
This is accomplished by restoring a custom backup from USB.
This method uses files to spoof MGS4's Game Data version to 2.00, to circumvent the Trophy update, and to replace the URLs within the game to connect to our servers.
This update will include the 1.36 update, as we currently aren't able to use the original in-game updater.
All you will need is a USB flashdrive with enough space for the backup (about 6GB, may increase later), and a copy of NA MGS4 or EU MGS4.

At this time, we only have the 1.36 update for NA and EU, but if you have the 1.36 update for JP MGS4 or JP MGO, then please contact us.
The game is still region-locked but we will be looking into methods to bypass the lock.

In addition, we have also figured out they key to getting 1.36 working again. 
If you remember, this update changed Drebin prices, changed skills, increased runner speeds, added anti-cheating measures, and removed the lag nade (invisible grenade) phenomenon.

MGO2 update 1.36 changelog:
http://pastebin.com/KH1NEDLN

Source:
https://savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=255
http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=29508

I'm glad the (in my opinion) best tactic shooter is for everyone back online!
Hope to see you guys soon!

UPDATE: 01.05.2017
News from GHz @savemgo Twitter:
CFW 1.36 will be released early May. OFW will soon follow, after enough CFW testing, a few weeks later.
https://twitter.com/savemgo/status/858291483388112896

UPDATE 27.05.2017
Original Message from GHz Gangster:
In case you didn't get the hint... MGO2 1.36 for OFW is back June 12th. CFW coming out ASAP.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/savemgo/status/867984077609082880[/tweet]

Talha

Holy fuck if this is true it's time for Team Sneak and Sneak as old snake again I loved MGS4s multiplayer, they took a step backwards with MGSV in my opinion

Whatever greatness there was in that game was lost to incredibly shitty netcode. The latency made the thing borderline unplayable.

If my PS3s didn't die on me, I'd be in...

MGSV multiplayer was so lame I only touched it once. Not anywhere near the coolness of MGS4 multi.

yoooo I'll try that

Sometimes I catch myself still thinking about this map..

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Emotions. So many emotions. For EVERYONE. OH GOD. I neeeeeeeed it.

My favorite MP game of all time.

MUnited83

For you.
Awesome :D. One of my all time favorite games on PS3. I played it a lot recently with custom firmware but it's really great to see it playable for everyone again. Community keeping games alive is the greatest thing :)

I fully expect that Konami will shut this down before end of month. :-/

They have been running this for a while, pretty sure they'll be fine.

Storm360

The only issue is it requires restoring a backup, so will format your hard drive but eh. Not a huge price to pay I feel since PS+ let's you upload saves before hand which you can just redownload after

NoFoX

The only issue is it requires restoring a backup, so will format your hard drive but eh. Not a huge price to pay I feel since PS+ let's you upload saves before hand which you can just redownload after

Maybe GHz will find a way around it, who knows. It seems like there are no boundaries for this guy it :)
And if you're on CFW you can backup your saves via MultiMan.

Storm360

Maybe GHz will find a way around it, who knows. It seems like there are no boundaries for this guy it :)
And if you're on CFW you can backup your saves via MultiMan.

CFW doesn't matter since you don't need to use backups for that anyways.

Peroroncino

Yooooo, that's great, the main reason why I had to give it up is because I didn't want to install CFW.

MGO2 is the best MGO and one of the best online tps ever.

Falchion

I still have the multiplayer beta downloaded on my PS3. It was the first beta I participated in and I binged it all weekend.

MGO2 is the best MGO and one of the best online tps ever.

You know it.

This is going to be great, I've missed this game so much. Easily my favorite online tps and by far my most time invested in an online game. I think I put in a good 800 hours into it.

BONKERS

OMG. MY former addiction (And frustration) can continue! (~1500+ hours)

I had always lamented that Konami never made a remade FTP version of this game with a bigger costume shop.

Now if only they could fix the netcode or tickrate.

Whoa I remember playing Metal Gear Online!!! This thread brought back so many memories! I loved that game and I actually miss it! This makes me really happy now and I hope it comes soon to OFW!

great news but i take it i install all this i wont be able to earn Trophys etc from this game ?

drebin store will be unlocked ?

Top Bottom