• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda crazy that Switch didn't get any major AAA third parties for launch........

Mikey Jr.

Just kinda struck me today as I was watching all these live streams.

Besides Sky Landers(?), I don't think there were any AAA third parties for the switch launch. Like, not even the token ones.

EA had absolutely nothing. Not even Fifa or some piece of shit.
Activision came out with Skylanders I guess.
Ubisoft had Just Dance.

I mean, yeah, PS4 launch wasn't super great, but on launch day it had

Call of Duty
Ass Creed 4
Battlefield 4
Fifa
Lego
Need for speed
Madden
plus other shit
and a bunch of indies and first party.

Like, all the major publishers gave Nintendo nothing. No Call of duty? EA couldn't get fifa out for launch? Some lego game? Like there is close to nothing.

I checked WiiU's launch, and yeah, it seemed like third parties actually gave a fuck in the beginning. Say you will about ports, it blasts the shit out of the switch launch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Wii_U

Is it because its a March release?

Dunno, am I missing something here?

I wonder if kits just didn't get out in time, or if there simply isn't any confidence in there being a viable market for AAA third party games...

Why would third-parties trying to prove there's an audience for their stuff on Nintendo want to compete with Nintendo's biggest exclusive?

I remember the interview where gearbox stated they would have brought Borderlands but they Nintendo didn't want to pony up the cash to do it. Maybe it's more of third parties not wanting to take the risk on porting games to The Switch at the moment while Nintendo would rather put their money towards their own games.

the last 20 years of Nintendo home consoles?

Wii U Launch Lineup:

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
FIFA Soccer 13
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden: Razor’s Edge
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders II
Assassin’s Creed III
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Wii U:

Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
FIFA Soccer 13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders II
Assassin’s Creed III
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions

Honestly that's a pretty good launch line-up.

Mikey Jr.

Did 3DS launched with that kind of third party support?

But the thing about that is that a majority of third party pubs are making console games, not handheld games. So to create a handheld, they would have to specifically create a new game, rather than a port of an already existing game.

Dunno, am I missing something here?
It's still a generation behind in terms of horse power and was so rushed to market that Zelda is the only major first party offering even Nintendo themselves could muster in time, which in itself is a port from their previous console, and you're actually surprised?

Come on OP.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
It sure would of helped but with all the talk about Zelda being great, minus the frame rate issues, it has peaked my interest in there 1st party lineup, I wouldn't jump on it but maybe Christmas it'll be a nice handheld to have and this will allow third party support to maybe develop, hoping for Twitch APP to be added :0

Give it time.. It certainly was rushed to the market imo.

Bishop89

I think publishers put as many titles as they did at wii u launch because they probably thought it was going to be another wii.

And now they probably have no confidence to release on the switch because wii u was a dud

spelen

slow down and think for a second.
1. the sports titles have already been announced to release alongside the other consoles
2. ps4 was released during the fall which is when those launch games are typically released.
3. it's probably best to wait till E3 b4 we jude cause lts be honest the holiday season will really determine the long term success of the switch as a viable 3rd option

Mikey Jr.

inb4lock.... Whats the news here?

The news is that despite Nintendo showing off their power point presentation showing every third party on board, the failed wiiu had a better launch (not counting zelda) by like a factor of 10.

I know, "lolololol third parties on nintendo!!11"

but they didn't even bother to show up this time.

I'm just wondering if its because its a March thing, or what? If switched launched in November, would this lineup have looked differently?

phant0m

who buys Nintendo hardware for the third party games

Eyyy this guy gets it. Not saying 3rd party doesn't belong, quite the opposite in fact -- I think the Switch is going to do great with indies and the handheld market. Because when The Division 2 or Madden 18 comes out, are you really going to want to play those games on Switch? With no voice or party?

ZOONAMI

Wii U Launch Lineup:

Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
FIFA Soccer 13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders II
Assassin’s Creed III
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions

Wii U had the benefit of previous gen ports (when it launched it was the most powerful console on the market, but it was still extremely underpowered because PS4 and Xbox were imminent).

Switch is so weak from a hardware perspective vs PS4 and Xbox it isn't going to get any AAA ports.

Nintendo learned fucking nothing from the complete failure of Wii U.

4Tran

The Switch is hostile to AAA games and almost all the AAA games that released on the Wii U were duds. There's no reason for any AAA publishers to rush in at launch.

Wii U had the benefit of previous gen ports.

Switch is so weak from a hardware perspective vs PS4 and Xbox it isn't going to get any AAA ports.

Nintendo learned fucking nothing from the complete failure of Wii U.
The power disparity is probably a much smaller factor than Nintendo not providing much reason to release AAA Switch games.

The WiiU launched in November that's why it had those kinds of games tbh. March isn't exactly a common time to launch a home console. Also the WiiU was on par with the 360 and PS3 so it had the luxury of that stuff getting ported. Not the case with the Switch with PS4 and XB1.

Mikey Jr.

The Switch is hostile to AAA games and almost all the AAA games that released on the Wii U were duds. There's no reason for any AAA publishers to rush in at launch.

The power disparity is probably a much smaller factor than Nintendo not providing much reason to release AAA Switch games.

Isn't launch the best time to release some ports? Isn't that when everyone is looking to buy anything?

ZOONAMI

Not really, it's literally not worth the effort to port anything because it's so weak comparatively.

It's a handheld system and western devs aren't making handheld games.

Kyzon

I'm just sad we didn't get an Ubisoft game that uniquely takes advantage of the system as we usually do. Zombi U was great, and Red Steel was an OK start

sn00zer

Yeah, next year looks like miles of WiiU ports, indies available elsewhere, and 3 Nintendo games. So not off to great start.

Figments

Not really, it's literally not worth the effort to port anything because it's so weak comparatively.

As though that means anything.

"Handheld system gets handheld games".

Then why on Earth does it have Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey? Ostensibly NOT "handheld" games.

Wii U Launch Lineup:

Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
FIFA Soccer 13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders II
Assassin’s Creed III
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions

Got those three at launch, pretty good diverse line up.

Zukkoyaki

Honestly, other than probably some of the major sports games, I wouldn't expect ANY major AAA games other than Dragon Quest XI. The Switch is shaping up to be a super Vita meaning a mecca for indie games, niche Japanese titles and Nintendo first party. That of course is still one hell of a platform!

Isn't launch the best time to release some ports? Isn't that when everyone is looking to buy anything?

Which is why we have a $50 Bomberman and $40 version of a 9 year-old $15 downloadable game. Publishers taking advantage of a barren lineup.

The Wii U had Tank! Tank! Tank! for equivalence.

It's partly why despite wanting this Day 1 all of last year I'll be waiting for the Holiday.

I can play Zelda on Wii U and aside from that only Puyo Puyo seems worth the current cost. The next Switch games I look forward to ate ARMS and Splatoon 2.

With Wii U at launch I got NSMBU, Nintendo Land with the console, AC III, the exclusive Zombie U, ports of Tekken Tag 2 and Sonic that had exclusive modes. Tekken actually had a lot more to its Wii U version. These all felt justifiable at full cost as opposed to many Switch Launch titles.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wii U Launch Lineup:

Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
FIFA Soccer 13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed III
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions

Half of which are really old ports sold at full price, maybe with missing features and didn't sold a lot as a result.

But this, we have lots of indie titles, running with no compromises and some as exclusives or timed-exclusives.

Playstation VR had a better launch.

only if you don't have a Vive or Rift. Most of them were ports or an hour experience like Batman. The only memorable game is RIGS

4Tran

Not if the platform in question doesn't offer anything for you.

If the AAA publishers thought that they'd make money, they would release something. It might be a very much scaled down version of one of their big games, but technical issues aren't the main challenge.

Top Bottom