• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 will be a "Truly massive destructible world"

ResoRai

http://cogconnected.com/2017/03/crackdown-3-truly-massive-destructible-world/

Shown at GDC
During the panel, a video was showcased comparing physics running on an azure cluster ( as you can see in the picture below, on the left) and physics running on a local machine. Unfortunately filming was not permitted, so there are are only images available. We should note the “local machine” is not an Xbox One, but a high-end PC equipped with a GTX 980 TI, a powerful processor and lots of memory.

crackdown3_azure_gdc.jpg

You’ll notice that on the left side, the buildings have an overlay with different colors. As Dualshockers noted, each color represents an individual physics server spun-up on demand as the game plays. As destruction increases, the single local machine can’t keep up and frame rate drops, while the Azure cluster is able to distribute computations on multiple servers to cope with the additional processing power required. Interestingly, the physics simulation is also done several frames in advance, and can cope with multiple possibilities. All the data gets returned to the game server, with with streams configured for each game client, enabling ” lot more physics capability of what we’ve seen in the past,” creating a “truly massive destructible world.”

Xbox Azure Gaming Proncipal PM Joseph Cusimano also added that with multiple players in the same world, the destruction goes beyond what a single machine can handle, which is why the setup with multiple servers that you can see above has been developed on the backside in order to support the game.

sn00zer

This is going to fucking crazy. Cloud tech has really taken off last few years. I have no doubt they are able to do this. I am curious though about the cost to MS since most cloud computing services charge for use.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. This game has been coming for years now. I'm beginning to believe that we'll never see it.

So if this was true does that mean my 980Ti won't be able to pull a 60fps because it's all based on the power of the cloud which makes the actual local machine near useless?

GHG

Gold Member
This and Scorpio will be quite a showcase this fall.
I hope this one turns out to be more like the first Crackdown. I didn't like the second one.

"Here's our new most powerful console in the world ever"*

*when cloud computing is enabled, Internet connection required.

Years of work towards a title that will be novel for one playthrough until you destroy the entire city with friends and have nothing else to do.

Pretty bummed MS is throwing all their weight behind this one for this year thinking it's going to be a huge title when everyone knows the first one, a fun game, sold thanks to being attached to Halo and this sequel is coming out in an age that's flush with open world 'go anywhere' titles.

Maybe this is an important foundation for future online enabled titles, who knows.

Akronis

Is there any estimate on how much of Azure will be dedicated to this game (I know they are spun up as needed, but there has to be some kind of limit especially if it becomes detrimental to other applications being served by Azure)? Like, if 80,000 people are playing at once and they need a buttfuck ton of nodes to maintain framerates, I don't see how this is viable unless Azure is truly that fucking huge.

I'm more inclined to believe this shit is purposely left unoptimized on the high end PC.

"Here's our new most powerful console in the world ever"

*when cloud computing is enabled, Internet connection required."

That'll suck ass.. can't they like, download all this stuff to the system and run it off of that? Lol, sorry my tech knowledge is very limited. I just play the stuff. :p

*response to GHG
Sorry I'm new

Akronis

That'll suck ass.. can't they like, download all this stuff to the system and run it off of that? Lol, sorry my tech knowledge is very limited. I just play the stuff. :p

It's all real-time so it has to be computed on the fly. No way to fix this without cutting the destruction down.

sn00zer

This has very little to do with videogames. It's all largely a research project as I imagine MS is trying to compete with amazons cloud computing tech.

Akronis

Or optimising the processes involved in calculating the destruction.

Part of optimization is reducing unnecessary effects (assuming your code is godlike), but I know what you're saying. I just don't think it's possible to optimize this to the point it'll work on a Jaguar at all.

On PC with proper multi-threading or GPGPU, I'm sure it could be possible.

"Here's our new most powerful console in the world ever"*

*when cloud computing is enabled, Internet connection required.

Yeah. It's weird you have this super powerful console but then what should be a marquee game for it uses cloud technology for its impressive physics.

I would hope they have a better game to demonstrate Scorpio.

eggandI

Banned
Ah city destruction, everyone's favorite part of Crackdown 1!

I'm sure this won't be shitty and gimmicky at all

Sethista

I really liked hte first one. Just a playground of destruction while you slowly got stronger, with real repercussions, like being able to lift heavier cars, and jumping higer, etc..

If they can improve on that comcept with the power of the cloudTM I will feel bad I sold my xbox one and wont be able to play this.

If not, I wont sweat it.

Seriously, the only details we've ever gotten about this game are about the destructibility physics. What about the game? It's embarrassing at this point.

ElNino

Cloud computing for destructable sandbox physics... Isn't that a little overkill?
This seems like one of the few scenarios where it makes sense to use cloud computing. Lots of calculations that don't necessarily need to be perfectly real time.

Or optimising the processes involved in calculating the destruction.

Sure, but then you're still left with a game that requires a high end PC if you want to play online which leaves you a tiny potential customer base. Either way you look at it they need the cloud computing to make it work

I really liked hte first one. Just a playground of destruction while you slowly got stronger, with real repercussions, like being able to lift heavier cars, and jumping higer, etc..

If they can improve on that comcept with the power of the cloudTM I will feel bad I sold my xbox one and wont be able to play this.

If not, I wont sweat it.

It'll be Play Anywhere so if you have a Windows 10 PC then you don't need an Xbone.

This is cool, hopefully the PC version will be able to run at 60+ fps. I also wonder what CPU they were using for this 'high-end' PC?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is there any estimate on how much of Azure will be dedicated to this game (I know they are spun up as needed, but there has to be some kind of limit especially if it becomes detrimental to other applications being served by Azure)? Like, if 80,000 people are playing at once and they need a buttfuck ton of nodes to maintain framerates, I don't see how this is viable unless Azure is truly that fucking huge.

There are SLAs for Azure services provided by Microsoft. I doubt they'd throw those out the window for a game, a game that will probably only use a tiny fraction of their available compute.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/legal/sla/

I'm sure Microsoft has an estimate. I'm also sure that they'd consider that to be proprietary information that they would prefer stays internal.

ResoRai

I hope there is more depth to the city and game than just destroyable skyscrapers.
They did a video where they talked about the game before showing the destruction. And the destruction will definitely impact gameplay in a huge way, more than just bringing down buildings.
GrimyColossalCentipede.gif

Akronis

This is cool, hopefully the PC version will be able to run at 60+ fps. I also wonder what CPU they were using for this 'high-end' PC?

Maybe it'll pull a Bioshock and the physics will be locked at a different framerate. 30fps on PC for this game would be amazingly boneheaded.

Sethista

Sure, but then you're still left with a game that requires a high end PC if you want to play online which leaves you a tiny potential customer base. Either way you look at it they need the cloud computing to make it work

It'll be Play Anywhere so if you have a Windows 10 PC then you don't need an Xbone.

Oh yeah good point. I hope sea of thieves and state of decay are play anywhere as well, I would really like to play those too.

killatopak

Gold Member
Unless I'm misunderstanding, your original comparison was related to Just Cause 3 running just as poorly.

JC3 didn't drop below 90 frames for me on PC. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

you're right. change it to just cause 3 (consoles) then.

Belker

They did a video where they talked about the game before showing the destruction. And the destruction will definitely impact gameplay in a huge way, more than just bringing down buildings.
GrimyColossalCentipede.gif

That gif reminds me of a game called BReach on XBL. It promised that kind of granular destruction. It delivered buggy gameplay and empty servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNC9pb-Bkg

It's a bit odd to think about that kind of fine destruction in a game like Crackdown, where eventually the player ends up so powerful and so fast that they're leaping small buildings in a single bound (sort of).

Having cover destroyed in that way might affect the player at the very start of a game, but wouldn't it soon be meaningless in terms of danger? So, is the point then that it becomes a tool for the player to exploit without penalty? Sniping bad guys through tiny gaps in the wall etc.

EDIT -

While I'm about it, it's good that we'll be able to destroy these massive buildings and in turn they'll affect other objects in the world in surprising was (one hopes). But we're just blowing up bigger, empty, boxes.

If possible, I'd rather devs offloaded computation in order to make buildings actual playspaces, populated with NPCs, that we can move through. The thought of being in a shootout in a medium building and hearing its coming down, is more interesting than having a much, much bigger box that I can blow up - but that's all.

Zeta Oni

That gif reminds me of a game called BReach on XBL. It promised that kind of granular destruction. It delivered buggy gameplay and empty servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNC9pb-Bkg

It's a bit odd to think about that kind of fine destruction in a game like Crackdown, where eventually the player ends up so powerful and so fast that they're leaping small buildings in a single bound (sort of).

Having cover destroyed in that way might affect the player at the very start of a game, but wouldn't it soon be meaningless in terms of danger? So, is the point then that it becomes a tool for the player to exploit without penalty? Sniping bad guys through tiny gaps in the wall etc.

Think its worth pointing out the person playing the game in that clip stated they were using powered up weapons specifically to show off the destruction, so normal weapons wont be able to quickly chew through cover. Also, I would imagine different surfaces react differently to damage so some walls might be built out of a more durable material or made thicker to protect a particular target.

You will probably be able to do stuff like this if they include a "Keys to the City" mode, which I hope to see return.

Top Bottom