• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little details you appreciate in Horizon Zero Dawn (may contain spoilers)

Greetings. detailed and open world games got their own thread like Witcher 3, GTA5 and Uncharted 4. Horizon Zero Dawn deserves one too.
You can post details that contain spoilers too.
If they are spoiler heavy, put them in spoiler tag.

Ants carrying leaves and walking on trees in different directions and paths:

HcaMhTJ.gif

http://pressa2join.com/news/horizon-zero-dawn-incredible-detail-showcased-in-screenshots-on-ps4-pro

Butterfly:

Dragonfly:

Mantis:

I love this gif:

Where the Thunderjaw bumps into the tree and makes it lean and drops leaves, then it moves back and runs faster to get more momentum to break it. I think Horizon is one of the rare open world game that has destructible natural environmental props like trees, rocks, shacks and other stuff.

Palm trees fall and break and even their leaves get ripped off:

and non scripted physics like this:

From VanWinkle

source.gif

From Darkside21

I also like how devs heard the complaints of sliding down the zipline with bare hands in some of previous gameplay footages and changed that by adding some metal tool to use.

Nice animation: http://kotaku.com/im-just-saying-look-at-how-horizons-protagonist-turns-1792588479

Animation blending and inverse kinematics allow Aloy's feet and body to shift naturally based on the slope of the terrain. Look at how her feet intersect with the terrain

When hanging for long time on a ledge, Aloy releases one of her hands and shakes it to ease her cramps:

Snapmaws will roll to loose themselves if you try to tie them up while swimming . They'll do a very fitting crocodile deathroll and break the cables to free themselves.

The dynamic weather system brings snow or rainstorms which create puddles that evaporate gradually when the sun comes back:

I made a reddit thread in case some spotted more details:

Last edited:
IMO: Aloy = Alloy Rost = Rust

Her bottom teeth is crooked (no braces in the post apocalypse)

Her clothes get dusty when you roll in the dirt

Stuff in the overworld you think are just part of the landscape can explode: cactus and rocks. Trees can sway

You can carry heavy weapons across areas and rarely do they disappear after a cutscene. To be on the safe side, drop them before the cutscene triggers and they'll still be around. A bug bear of mine for games like Gears. So good

Rost's grave and story telling
I didn't know about this but when I read it in the OT I was like "wow that is incredible". Wish I'd known

firelogic

Just noticed this today. When Aloy does a heavy attack where she jumps in the air and spins, if you change to the opposite direction, she flips the spear behind her back and catches it with her other hand.

It's strange that when sliding down a rope Aloy does it with her bare hands, but with the zip lines she uses the tool.

Also the disappearing spear on her back... smh

These are the lack of detail I don't appreciate. I let others tell about the good stuff that is plentiful in this game :D

KAOz

Short bus special
Fully modeled bees flying around.

Also. When in canyons or places like that they put a very natural echo on loud noises. Like whistlings.

Blew my mind when she said "Air is heavy. Smells like rain." and almost 10 minutes later it started to pour.

Fully modeled bees flying around.

Also. When in canyons or places like that they put a very natural echo on loud noises. Like whistlings.

Blew my mind when she said "Air is heavy. Smells like rain." and almost 10 minutes later it started to pour.

Really impressive.

Also, the rats and rabbits look great. A lot of games skimp on effort when it comes to modeling rats, so they create these grotesque monstrosities instead.

True. There is a real attention to details when it comes to the wide variety of animals in this post-apocalyptic game.

Kin5290

Aloy's snarky one liners are the best. Like, after finishing Seeker at the Gates
Carja Soldier: "THE SUN SHINES UPON US THIS DAY"
Aloy: "It wasn't the sun risking its ass down here!"

Also, the rats and rabbits look great. A lot of games skimp on effort when it comes to modeling rats, so they create these grotesque monstrosities instead.

You can see reflections of the world on Aloy's eyes:

I don't know if Aloy has pupil dilation like in Uncharted 4:

DrakeEyes.gif

or The Last Of Us:

Or Heavy rain:

xA5NPdT.png

No need to have exact situation like in Heavy Rain where light hits directly the eye which makes the pupil shrink while the other stays in normal state.
Just check in dark areas if the pupils are dilated and compare when the eyes directly face the sun and post the pictures.
I just want to be sure. This tech is being used in PlayStation exclusive games and I bet Horizon may use it too.

I love those gifs where she knocks down the stacked log piles. I've seen them in one or two places in the game, but haven't tried dropping them on enemies. Do the logs fall with realistic physics?

DJ_Lae

It's largely inconsequential but I really like that the camera pulls in when you're wandering around towns/outposts and then comes back out again when you're in the wild.

I love those gifs where she knocks down the stacked log piles. I've seen them in one or two places in the game, but haven't tried dropping them on enemies. Do the logs fall with realistic physics?

They seem to, although I've noticed they do more damage to enemies than you'd expect based on how fast they're rolling.

didevol

That facial detail is amazing.

It really is, but did anyone else get pulled out of a cinematic because of shitty facial animations?

There was a ton of dynamics that would pop on the first frame of animation. It's like they didn't give any run-up for the dynamics to settle before a camera cut. The audio sync to the lips was so awful I am surprised they shipped it like that.

Everything about the game is absolutely stunning, sad to see they didn't put quite as much effort into the cinematics.

I did some of the Hunting Lodge quests last night and played around with dropping the log piles on grazers. This is so fun, and each individual log has its own physics which is really impressive. I crushed about 8 grazers as well, and the frame rate held up surprisingly well. Really impressed by the physics and little details in this.

I did some of the Hunting Lodge quests last night and played around with dropping the log piles on grazers. This is so fun, and each individual log has its own physics which is really impressive. I crushed about 8 grazers as well, and the frame rate held up surprisingly well. Really impressed by the physics and little details in this.

From the official thread:

NewDust

I also like how devs heard the complaints of sliding down the zipline with bare hands in some of previous gameplay footages and changed that by adding some metal tool to use.

Meanwhile she still doesn't care about a little rope burn when rappelling down.

When it comes to little details, Zelda has it beat.

Please don't. This isn't a topic about comparing Zelda and Horizon, and you are the first person to mention Zelda in here. If Zelda has lots of neat little details (and from videos I've seen I'm sure it has Horizon beat in this regard) then by all means, make your own such topic.

Peroroncino

So long as people don't indulge the bait it should be fine.

Saw this on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKm9pGGcm6g&feature=youtu.be

The Sun Priests sing hymns at dawn.

And according to others at noon and dusk as well and they're different hymns for each time.

That's neat. Details like that should always be put in forefront of developing any game you want to be special, things like that for me are what makes the world cohesive and believable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- As pointed out earlier, the incredible detail in Aloy's model. Including her imperfect crooked teeth.

- Aloy raising her hands above tall grass like Gladiator.

- The incredible hair animation in windy areas. Very few games get hair animations good.

- Aloy shifting her balance depending on the plane she's standing on.

- Catching rain and snow particles in hands as idle animation.

- Generally how well the lighting looks and effects character models. Same for materials which look like actual materials, rope looks like rope, wood looks like wood, clothing has very high detail stitching and seaming visible on it etc etc.

Top Bottom