• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free HD Rumble demo for Switch

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I only own Zelda & Shovel Knight for my Switch, so I haven't had a chance to try HD rumble. It just sort of feels like... regular rumble in those games. Nothing impressive.

However, I just downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo from JP eShop (because I fucking love it, and wanted to try it before the US release).

It took 5 minutes to create a new Nintendo Account, downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo and gave it a shot. I can safely say - HD rumble is really dope. While playing a game vs CPU, my opponent would drop Tetris blocks on me and when they did, you can feel the blocks 'fall' from the top of the unit to the bottom (playing handheld).

So if you're interested, it's a fast and free way to try out the tech - and as a bonus get to play a bit of one of the best puzzle games out there. Try it out and let me know what you think!

puyo-puyo-tetris-4player.jpg

How to create a JP account:

How to get the game:

1) Go to JP eShop
2) Find Puyo Puyo Tetris
3) select the 2nd option (it's smaller, this is 'dl demo')
4) close eShop, open Puyo Puyo Tetris
5) select leftmost option, select VS, select a character, select if you want to play Tetris or Puyo Puyo, play!

ktroopa

I downloaded this but cant read japanese lol. Can you guide me thru the menus? Sounds really good so wud like to try it :)

I'll just wait till my copy shows up in the mail but it's definitely cool to know that it has some HD rumble so thanks.

I felt like snipper clips demo also had a little bit of HD rumble going on. Nothing major but definitely different from Zelda.

Skyzard

Banned
That's good news. I tried the HD rumble at the switch event with the marble game and liked it a lot - perfect for kororinpa with grip and speed feedback.
It's pretty hard to get an idea of what it's like before trying it though and with 1,2 - switch not being the most enticing game, it was a shame new console owners don't really get to try the feature.

- Here are some menu translations (other platforms but I'd imagine it would help for the switch one too): https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Puyo_Puyo_Tetris_Menu_Translation

Drain You

Really interested in trying HD rumble, but I don't have a switch. Just wanted to add Puyo Tetris is a great game, even besides the HD rumble, don't overlook it peeps.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I downloaded this but cant read japanese lol. Can you guide me thru the menus? Sounds really good so wud like to try it :)

updated the OP w/ help - let me know if any of it is unclear! it took 5 minutes, and i know 0 Japanese

hmmm I might try this

do it, it's fast, it's a terrific game and it's a cool tech demo

Is the game coming to NA?

Like other said, it's coming next month and is a day 1 purchase for anyone looking for a top tier MP game (local or online) / puzzle game.

jobrro

Are there any other demos available in other regions? Disappointed there aren't any in NA

Dragon Quest Heroes demo is also on the JP eShop.

Also got Snipperclips on my Australian account, not sure about other regions.

Nzyme32

"HD Rumble" is all any game uses - ie the linear resonant actuator in each controller. The only difference is how it is programmed to respond in each game.

Zelda operates in a more traditional way, but since they are only using linear resonant actuators, it won't feel the same as a normal set of motor rumbles, but instead is more of a buzzing sensation. Its highest output isn't that great due to the nature of the actuators as opposed to something like force actuators that have a larger range - at the cost (or bonus depending on your use case) of increased noise.

1-2-Switch and Puyo Tetris have better programmed responses for the feedback to be a bit more diverse (though I haven't tried Puyo Tetris yet myself to verify). Similarly, while you can get more nuanced responses for feedback, the output is much less than you could expect from a normal controller at its peak.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are there any other demos available in other regions? Disappointed there aren't any in NA

There's Snipperclips. The demo doesn't have a separate listing in the shop, you have to enter the full game's page and there you can download the demo.

(I'm in EU, but I'm pretty certain it's also available in NA.)

ktroopa

updated the OP w/ help - let me know if any of it is unclear! it took 5 minutes, and i know 0 Japanese

do it, it's fast, it's a terrific game and it's a cool tech demo

Like other said, it's coming next month and is a day 1 purchase for anyone looking for a top tier MP game (local or online) / puzzle game.

Thanks mate i will check it out.

pswii60

The rumble is noisy on mine, sounds like my phone vibrating and I had this same issue on Wii U. Anyone else or just mine?

Lkr

There's Snipperclips. The demo doesn't have a separate listing in the shop, you have to enter the full game's page and there you can download the demo.

(I'm in EU, but I'm pretty certain it's also available in NA.)
Ah I never saw it since I bought a snipperclips code at GameStop and just redeemed that lol

Cindro

Thanks for the tip, OP!

I can't believe how easy it is to create an account from a different region. The game is really fun too, dressed in an absurd and zany coat of paint. Good stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm I just tried and I dunno... I don't really feel it (in handheld mode)... Like there's a lot of buzzing rumble (which kinda sucks btw) but other than that not much.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I tried this out too, and if I didn't read this thread I wouldn't have been able to tell it's HD rumble. It all just feels like a similar buzzing in handheld mode, at least.

ArchAngel

It felt different than Zeldas rumble. But the best thing: it's an awesome game. Never was a big fan of Puyo Puyo, but the switching mode to Tetris is great. Day 1 for sure!

Poppyseed

Hmm I just tried and I dunno... I don't really feel it (in handheld mode)... Like there's a lot of buzzing rumble (which kinda sucks btw) but other than that not much.

Yup, that's HD rumble. Sounds about broken most of the time. Not super convinced by the tech, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if this thread is a joke (aside from the game indeed being awesome), but HD Rumble freaking just flat out sucks. I've genuinely no idea what the OP is talking about feeling the blocks drop from the top of the screen. They drop, the JoyCon go BZZZZZT, and that's it.

I can honestly say the JoyCon might feature the worst implementation of rumble I've experienced ever.

swit

Yup, that's HD rumble. Sounds about broken most of the time. Not super convinced by the tech, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if this thread is a joke (aside from the game indeed being awesome), but HD Rumble freaking just flat out sucks.

how it compares to Dual Shock rumble on handheld mode? Sounds like a nice thing to have in mobile device if it is similar feeling.

Poppyseed

how it compares to Dual Shock rumble on handheld mode? Sounds like a nice thing to have in mobile device if it is similar feeling.

Nothing like it. First, it's SO FREAKING noisy on the Switch. It reminds me of someone leaving their phone on a wooden desk, and it getting a text message, except think of it like that cellphone getting SPAMMED with text messages. It's just a stupendously annoying sound, and totally triggers a stress response from me. It's hard to really get over that, first of all.

I don't think the actual rumble is that impressive. It just feels... messy, for lack of a better word. Bear in mind I've only played Puyo/Tetris and Fast Racing RMX really, and the noise is just so freaking annoying. You'll hear it over the TV, over the Switch speakers etc. Much like many things with Nintendo recently, I've no idea how this passed QC.

In terms of comparison to the DS4 or XBOne rumble, their rumbles are of course different, but they're lower in pitch, and much smoother, more... subtle. Switch HD Rumble is in your face, high-pitched, lacking in all subtlety, and I HATE IT.

And yes, that is how I really feel. I'm so glad you can disable it in the Settings of the console.

Is that really all it is? Sounds like what the Steam Controller uses. I'd love some insight from someone who's used both, because if they're both pretty much the same thing (though in the Joycon's case, being used to it's full potential by software), that's pretty neat. It's definitely up to personal preference, but I do enjoy haptic feedback over motor feedback.

pswii60

Nothing like it. First, it's SO FREAKING noisy on the Switch. It reminds me of someone leaving their phone on a wooden desk, and it getting a text message, except think of it like that cellphone getting SPAMMED with text messages. It's just a stupendously annoying sound, and totally triggers a stress response from me. It's hard to really get over that, first of all.

I don't think the actual rumble is that impressive. It just feels... messy, for lack of a better word. Bear in mind I've only played Puyo/Tetris and Fast Racing RMX really, and the noise is just so freaking annoying. You'll hear it over the TV, over the Switch speakers etc. Much like many things with Nintendo recently, I've no idea how this passed QC.

In terms of comparison to the DS4 or XBOne rumble, their rumbles are of course different, but they're lower in pitch, and much smoother, more... subtle. Switch HD Rumble is in your face, high-pitched, lacking in all subtlety, and I HATE IT.

And yes, that is how I really feel. I'm so glad you can disable it in the Settings of the console.
Indeed, to me it feels (and sounds) like a mobile phone's vibrate, rather than rumble. And as I said earlier, I had this same problem with Wii U. If HD rumble was a sound wave it would just be a high pitched version of other rumble.

This is how I've always felt the rumble on Nintendo products are - like shitty vibration on phones when playing games. Arrrrrragh!

Surely this cannot be the case?

I don't get it?

edit: @ pswii60 thinks the same.

What is going on here? We have a console which has a new function that I imagined was superior to, not only its own previous tech but also 'that' of everyone else's, yet here we are with evidence of the total opposite?

Me heads gone...

SomTervo

1 2 Switch (a must have in a local coop loving households imo) has a couple of fantastic uses of HD rumble.

The "guess how many marbles are in your controller" one is mind blowing. Let non gamers try it and they're like whaaaaaaat

Edit: people just saying it feels like "hard rumble" pretty much aren't thinking about hd rumble.

Hd rumble is pretty soft, it just feels really localised and precise and tends to move THROUGH the controller rather than just being the entire unit rumbling. With the 1 2 Switch ball-guess game it feels literally like there are 2-9 balls in your controller and they're clattering around with physics and everything.

Vitacat

1 2 Switch (a must have in a local coop loving households imo) has a couple of fantastic uses of HD rumble.

The "guess how many marbles are in your controller" one is mind blowing. Let non gamers try it and they're like whaaaaaaat
Too bad effects like that weren't attached to a better game.

I'm sure Switch will be awesome by Fall, but it feels painfully unfinished and barren right now. Yet, I still love it and want it to succeed. And at least there's BOTW, which is superb.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Im surprised how much free content you get in the demo.

If you are casual player and just want a quick fix, the demo will be enough.

vgamer1

My girlfriend and I are completely good with just the demo. They let you do unlimited 2 player multi of both puyo v. puyo, tetris v. tetris, tetris v. puyo, and the mode where you switch every 25 seconds (the most fun!)

Can't believe it's all in the demo.

Poppyseed

My girlfriend and I are completely good with just the demo. They let you do unlimited 2 player multi of both puyo v. puyo, tetris v. tetris, tetris v. puyo, and the mode where you switch every 25 seconds (the most fun!)

Is it the end of April yet? No? WHY NOT?!

SystemUser

Does it limit you to two players? Has anyone tried syncing more JoyCons? I might try later if no one has.

Just tried it now, doesn't feel any different to usual rumble :/ same with fast rmx. Pretty disappointed tbh, after hearing so much positive stuff from the 1-2 switch threads about hd rumble I expected more than this.

Top Bottom