• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch - Durability Tests

Silkworm

That was really interesting (especially the info he discovered about the labels on the buttons) :) Thanks for sharing that link. He really did put the Switch through its paces while testing its durability (I have to admit I squirmed a bit as he tested the flexibility of the Switch and Joy-Cons). ;-)

Volotaire

JerryRig is great at teardowns and durability testing.

It is interesting that the letters on the face buttons are etched throughout the button. Slow degradation will not affect the visibility of the letters. The plastic over the screen is very thick. The bend test reveals that when the Switch is attached with the joycons, it is relatively strong without applying excessive force.

A tempered glass protector seems mandatory to protect against scratches.

Volotaire

Glass doesn't bend very well, in terms of shock resistance and plastic is better. But I do like a good gorilla glass too..

Woops, I meant as a screen protector. Plastic is definitely a better choice for a device that is likely to be played by children and is a cheaper option for Nintendo.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's about as durable as you can expect it to be. While it was initially a bummer that the screen cover is plastic, for kids it's better for them to scratch a screen than break it completely.

Vena

Pretty robustly made.

Seems its all around well engineered aside from the antenna configuration.

Peltz

I was wincing the whole time. I like these tests but feel bad for the console.

Great to see that it's mostly durable other than a potentially scratch-prone screen.

65caee454290c187d450821fb3daace2.jpg

Feelsbadman.

And yep, everything was plastic. Would have been nice if that screen was gorilla glass or something similar. Asking too much, I suppose.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
OMG... that nails on a chalkboard feeling with the razor blade based tests. Chills man.. chills.

Great that someone is willing to do this for us. I don't know anyone with the kind of $$ to spare on testing like that. Also... I just couldn't do it. LOL.

Edit:
Beaten

Lorcain

That was really good. I learned something new with his approach to the scratch test.

My main takeaway:
- Screen protector is mandatory. It's good that the screen is thick, but it scratches way too easy to not be protected 100% of the time.

TAS

Damn that was a rigorous test lol. I'm pissed that I can't order the amfilm screen protector. I'm Canadian and it's unavailable for order and the American site does not ship to Toronto. :/ I ordered the Orzly one instead but I hope it's good.

I was bothered less by the wrecking of the unit and more by him repeatedly cutting towards his fingers with a razor blade. Guess he's the pro, though.

lenovox1

Why are people so obsessed with gorilla glass? I've always hated those spider cracks that have practically made phone protectors mandatory

No scratches. Shatter resistant.

Plastic makes the Switch screen shatter proof, but scratch prone. A screen protector is mandatory if thing ever leaves the dock, as well.

No scratches. Shatter resistant.

Plastic makes the Switch screen shatter proof, but scratch prone. A screen protector is mandatory if thing ever leaves the dock, as well.

It's shatter resistant, in that the pieces won't even fall apart/out, but those spider cracks always irk me. I guess it comes down to scratch resistance really

I honestly don't see the purpose of tests like these. It's materialistic morbid curiosity. And yeah, I know, it's only one Switch, but what a damn waste. You could take a look at the system and make a fair judgement at how durable it might be.

-EDIT- Oh god the lack of safety precaution is making me cringe even more. Wear some fucking gloves?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Plastic screen is disappointing to me, an adult who is more concerned about scratches than dropping the thing and shattering the screen. But I get it, I suppose. Damn kids. Guess I will have to get a screen protector, which I really didn't want to (my phones have always done excellently without them, since I treat them with care).

gogogow

Very sturdy, really needs to go out your way to rip off the metal railing of the main unit with joycons attached.

oh it's possitive.. nvm
Pretty much how Nintendo threads are here, won't get much traction. If the Switch wasn't durable, 10 pages minimum.

lenovox1

Übermatik;231581247 said:
I honestly don't see the purpose of tests like these. It's materialistic morbid curiosity. And yeah, I know, it's only one Switch, but what a damn waste. You could take a look at the system and make a fair judgement at how durable it might be.

He didn't throw the thing out of a car window, throw it down an elevator shaft or strap it to explosives. He just used a few simple tools to see where its area of weaknesses are.

And there was tons of good information out of this clip. Like, before this video, I had no clue the screen was plastic.

gogogow

At least in this context something of value is gained. Its not like those cringe inducing microwave/blender destruction videos.

Yeah, a durability test isn't pointless. Sometimes people wants to know how durable a product is before buying, but those blender test and the now popular hydraulic press test are totally pointless. Just destroying products for the sake of destroying the product.

Übermatik;231581247 said:

-EDIT- Oh god the lack of safety precaution is making me cringe even more. Wear some fucking gloves?
Meh, this was useful to me. I was concerned about how securely the joy cons fasten to the console - whether they might break off or something.

No longer worried.

Hot damn. The Switch is very durable, this gives me a lot of confidence in the strength of the device. I'll need a screen protector for mine, if I end up keeping it. Hopefully future minor revisions retain this durability.

Manzoon

Banned
Well that makes me happy, bringing back that DS phat and Gameboy durability. Putting a screen protector in to prevent scratches is a non-issue for me now after seeing it take that kind of flex. Thanks plastic.

Top Bottom