• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLIXEL: Is Halo Broken?

Rymuth

Relevant due to thread on 343i looking for a new narrative director. Some nice points but I was genuinely surprised that the new Halo is no longer a trilogy but a 'saga' now.

Halo 4 might have played it safe, but in getting the series moving again, it was also a success. It’s tougher to say the same about Halo 5: Guardians, which arrived in 2015 and sold about half as well as Halo 3 – which was released at roughly the same point in the Xbox 360's lifecycle. Here, having apparently not been paying such close attention, 343 repeats the most glaring mistake of Halo 2 – it introduces a new character and makes us play as him, even though playing Halo and being Master Chief are one and the same thing. In fact, Halo 5’s deviations go even further than Halo 2’s Arbiter missions, setting us at odds with Master Chief and calling his (our?) motivations into doubt. The result is a stuttering campaign constantly undercutting its own momentum.
The problem, really, is that like all 343’s work, Halo 5 still feels like an act of interpretation rather than invention, caught between respecting the things that intrinsically define Halo, and building a future for the series. Faced by rival shooters filled with wall-running and double-jumping, Halo 5 tries to combine the series’ classic, elegant feel with a more modern maneuverability. And its multiplayer is literally split down the middle, caught between the past and a potential future, with an Arena mode that delivers the stripped down, loadout-free formula that old-school Halo players have long called for, offset by the more speculative Warzone mode, which mixes Call Of Duty-like microtransactions with an experimental, toe-in-the-Destiny-waters combination of PvE and PvP.

But being clear-eyed about the problems Halo faces also means being realistic about its past. The fact is Bungie’s games were often more important than they were good, at least after the initial thrill of Halo: Combat Evolved.

This at least helps put the task 343 faces and has faced into perspective. It’s not true that Bungie was brilliant and 343 is simply unable to match them. It might be true that Bungie has an uncanny, ambitious knack of breaking new ground and that 343 has a creative culture based necessarily on careful conservation. It might also be true that Bungie bailed before the problems its ambition helped create needed fixing, and that 343 has struggled to find a solution. But this is the nature of the two studios – Bungie, clearly, never wanted to oversee a global entertainment property and churn out variations on a theme every three years to service it (this Penny Arcade cartoon was, at one point, framed on the wall of the developer’s Bellevue headquarters). But that’s exactly what 343 Industries was custom built to do – and it has done so, with remasters, and twin-stick spin-offs playable on Windows-branded mobile devices, and live-action web series which expand the lore even past the over-ambitious convolutions of the Bungie era. And none of it has made Halo great again.

Halo needs this sense of daring, of structural experimentation – otherwise, caught between creativity and conservation, 343 Industries looks set to steer Halo into a slow obscurity

- source

Theorry

"The fact is Bungie’s games were often more important than they were good,"

giphy.gif

soultron

Banned
Different sects of Halo fans infighting really must constrict what 343i can do. At least, as an outsider, that's the way it appears.

I mean, I like HALO games, but not enough to argue the minutiae online.

Halo 5 was one of the best feeling shooters around. Halo 4 is also incredibly strong gameplay wise and one of my favorite games to replay. 343 knows how to make games, and make good ones.

The only problem is they don't know how to tell a story, or don't know what story to tell with Halo anymore. In that sense, yes, Halo is broken.

LordKasual

Banned
The moment a friend brought over their Xbone so we could play Halo, and we struggled to start the game because his "account" had "exclusive" weapons and "perks" the rest of us couldn't activate, I realized the best of Halo's days were far behind them.

Banamy

Heres what I gathered.

The multiplayer is heading in the write direction, just needs to go back to what made halo unique. Sprint has ruined multiplayer for a lot. It doesn't just impact gameplay, but also the maps. Maps in halo have been great since Halo 3 in my opinion. If 343i can tone back halo 5 multiplayer and revist halos roots, halo 6 will be a perfect 10.

The story part is a disaster at the moment. The "created" is the opposite of what most fans wanted. They are moving away from chief and its making the story too big in the games. Halo 5 had 8 main protagonists, 6 of which were new to the games. Its hard to flesh out all these characters in a 6-8 hour campaign. The campaign needs to go back to a more simple story.

343i doesn't lack talent, they lack direction.

Aside from Reach, Bungie were on point with the Halo games. I felt like I was buying a truly complete package day one that put other titles to shame.

343, I'm not sure what they were thinking with Halo 4. It was too much of a mess in too many ways including the extended universe (Glasslands was garbage and I stopped reading Halo books because of it). Even now I think they just need to shake things up, at least story wise.

I don't think Halo is broken but it is becoming redundant.

I appreciate that 343 strives to create what is, really without much argument, the best first party FPS shooting experience on a console: it's exclusive, it's rock solid in terms of performance, and it's got a huge skill ceiling. Other MS studios do the same with TPS and Racing games with their first party studios to varying results.

The problem is it's not very relevant. Being a great shooter doesn't mean a whole lot when two of your most valuable peers in the industry (EA and Activision Blizzard) have the genre completely on lock: Halo's a great shooter, but does it matter when people are fine playing CoD as they have been for years, or trying out Overwatch which is the new thing? Or Battlefield? Titanfall?

It's an industry flush with shooters, being a really good one isn't enough to make the cut anymore, look at Titanfall 2, look at Splatoon, great games in their own right with a ton of enthusiastic fans, but it just doesn't move the needle.

If they want to be best in class again and stand head and shoulders above the competition, they can't roll out with an incomplete feeling game like they did with Halo 5 now, regardless of how comprehensive it's become a year and a half since.

Detective

Halo 5 gameplay ia the best in the serie hands down. They need just to just expand on that.

And get people busy, raid. Not Achilles raid which ended up farming people and harming the casual crowds.

Finaj

As long as the singleplayer of Halo 6 is vastly improved I'll be satisfied. Halo 6's multiplayer could frankly have the exact same gameplay flow as Halo 5 except with more maps/weapons/vehicles/customization/etc. and It would be godlike.

Also, the Forge team: just keep doing what you're doing. You guys are the best.

Lmaoo at all the responses and ones that follow that say H5 is the best gameplay in the series, yall are repeating shit you read, and cant even say why its the best in the series

Shit isnt fun, better than halo 4 though

I disagree with the general premise of this article. Halo 5 took the gameplay the series has been known for in exciting directions, and was by no means safe unless you require game structure differences (open world vs. linear) to be considered risky. It's the best-playing campaign in the series as a result, and I can't wait to see them push further in that direction for the next game.

As for statements like:

Halo 4 might have played it safe, but in getting the series moving again, it was also a success. It’s tougher to say the same about Halo 5: Guardians, which arrived in 2015 and sold about half as well as Halo 3

It's the kind of thing repeated ad nauseum by Halo fans longing for the past when Halo games had zero competition in the console shooter space. Call of Duty 4 would not release until a month after Halo 3, and they also forget to mention that the 360 version of CoD 4 by itself was not far behind Halo 3 in sales that year.

Accessibility sells, and I admire 343 for taking Halo 5 the less accessible route to stay true to what Halo has always been rather than take part in the rush to the bottom in terms of skill requirement to attract more customers. The fact is these people want Halo to stay the way it is while also becoming more accessible so it can sell more. These two things cannot happen at the same time, and it seems like 343 figured that out with Halo 5.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I have a really good idea for what needs to happen to Halo once they conclude in the corner they've written themselves into with 6.

Go full Star Wars ep. 7 style. Soft reboot. Throw out all non-game lore. Introduce a cast of charismatic, young characters who occasionally encounter our old faves like Chief and the Arbiter, perhaps to be mentored by the retired heroes.

It would work, it would feel fresh and new, and freeing itself from the dozens of outside sources of story would allow them to take it in interesting new directions.

mcrommert

Banned
"The fact is Bungie's games were often more important than they were good,"

giphy.gif

Even as Bungie's being the most important dev to my gaming life, this is spot on. 343 can never live up to their games even when they make shooters which are mechanically superior (halo 5)

Halo has a lot more quality competition than it used to. Halo 5 has unmatched balance in terms of competitive mulitiplayer. It also has the best gunplay in the series to boot. They just need to work on the campaign side of things and make sure the full package (Arena, BTB, FF, Forge) is there on day 1, not content update 1.

FWIW

Halo 5 mp gameplay mechanics = unparalleled.

Halo 5 is the bomb. Halo 6 just needs to expand on the solid MP of Halo 5 and tell a good story.

Halo 5 was one of the best feeling shooters around. Halo 4 is also incredibly strong gameplay wise and one of my favorite games to replay. 343 knows how to make games, and make good ones.

The only problem is they don't know how to tell a story, or don't know what story to tell with Halo anymore. In that sense, yes, Halo is broken.

This. Been playing BF1 and TF2 but the mechanic of halo 5 are rock solid. Entirely based on skill - just how a competitive shooter should be

I have a really good idea for what needs to happen to Halo once they conclude in the corner they've written themselves into with 6.

Go full Star Wars ep. 7 style. Soft reboot. Throw out all non-game lore. Introduce a cast of charismatic, young characters who occasionally encounter our old faves like Chief and the Arbiter, perhaps to be mentored by the retired heroes.

It would work, it would feel fresh and new, and freeing itself from the dozens of outside sources of story would allow them to take it in interesting new directions.

So Gears of War 4.

bigJP

halo 3 imo isnt a good game. i had fun with it back in the day but what did it compete against? the gunplay and movement is horrible. game has aged horribly

Halo 3 was more of the same, a victory lap that doubled down on Halo 2's multiplayer dominance, but served up another flawed installment of Master Chief's adventure.
playing Halo and being Master Chief are one and the same thing.
The studio's final two Halo games – ODST and Reach – have the feel of contractual obligations
It's all subjective, but I can't relate to any of that. Halo 3 is my favorite campaign.

The idea that Halo = Master Chief is flawed, considering ODST and Reach had fantastic campaigns (not to mention the Halo Wars games). And playing as Arbiter wasn't the problem with Halo 2's campaign, it was the awful cliffhanger.

Halo 5 would've been better served as a more fleshed out standalone game without Chief at all, IMO. The switching back and forth made it feel disjointed.

Finaj

Lmaoo at all the responses and ones that follow that say H5 is the best gameplay in the series, yall are repeating shit you read, and cant even say why its the best in the series

Well, IMO, Halo 5 has the best feeling gunplay and is the first game in the series to have good weapon balance. The spartan abilities are also well balanced and are fun to use.

I think the maps could be better designed and have more variety, though.

jtb

Banned
More important than they were good?

Huh?

They were important because they were good. Maybe towards the end of their run with Reach and 3 it was overtaken, but 2 and 1 were both peerless.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So Gears of War 4.

Sure, except Gears 4 leaned way too heavily on the old stuff for that to work out the way it should have. The old characters are around way too much, the new major threat is just the old major threat after hibernating for a bit. The setting is still the same.

Lork

This ridiculous revisionist history completely undermines any point the article might be trying to make. It's impossible for a new Halo to be "good", not for any actual reason, but because the author has preemptively decided that any follow-up to the original is and will be "not good enough" for arbitrary and undefined reasons.

Kill3r7

"The fact is Bungie's games were often more important than they were good,"

giphy.gif

Not buying it. They were far from perfect but they were damn fun. FWIW, Halo 2 MP was better than anything else on consoles at the time. It wasn't until COD4 that there was a real viable alternative that the masses gravitated to.

EDIT: I think they should look at FM and FH for a way to push the franchise forward and test new ideas. Granted this is not a new idea as Activision/COD last gen showed that you need at least two studios to keep churning out FPS games and testing new ideas.

Even if 343 makes a great Halo game I just wonder if that would be enough anymore. IMO It needs to go away for most of a gen and come back once people miss it.

A IP can only go so far before a large part of the market gets bored of it.

halo 3 imo isnt a good game. i had fun with it back in the day but what did it compete against? the gunplay and movement is horrible. game has aged horribly

Also this. The fight between Halo 3 and Reach for worst proper Halo game is a tough one, and I think it being the standard and what a lot of fans still clamor for is one of the biggest contributors to how Halo Reach and Halo 4 turned out. Thankfully, Halo 5 takes a lot more after Halo 2.

Sure, except Gears 4 leaned way too heavily on the old stuff for that to work out the way it should have. The old characters are around way too much, the new major threat is just the old major threat after hibernating for a bit. The setting is still the same.

True the setting and enemy are pretty much the same. The problem a game series runs into after it gets this far into further entries is coming up with new enemies that are as compelling as what came before. Gears chose to play it safe. Halo 4 and 5 tried to take it in a new direction but with much criticism from their fans. A lot of people hate fighting the prometheans but will say that their favorite levels were the ones where they fought the covenant.

Ugh, Halo 5's multiplayer is great. Make a bigger and badder Halo 6. All of the awesome features we have now and then some more, then Halo will surprise everybody. Don't bother with the mass market just looking for Halo to be a marketing juggernaut, just continue to please the fans and newcomers. The campaign was an utter mess, it couldn't get worse. Really, they should just MARKET it appropriately instead of bait and switching us all.

Ive said what i needed to say on the subject here. if you wanna read it go right ahead.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213414375&postcount=392

If they do that and the story is good, they have nothing to worry about.

Id also add to that that they should bring in RPG style elements to the main character. Meaning: you could spend 'points' that you get while playing through the SP and get access to a better sprint, better spartan charge, better melee damage, better grenade damage, etc. Only for SP.

So depending on what you spend your points on, you get different 'advantages'. That would change every fire fight in the games SP.

And make it open ended. Let me select my missions a la mass effect.

bigJP

unpopular comment but halo 4 had amazing gunplay was just bogged down with a lot of unnecessary garbage. halo 5 is amazing. no idea what article is smoking

I'm not the biggest fan of Halo 5, but you are doing the same thing by saying Halo 5 isn't fun.

People have opinions and they are allowed to share it without expanding on it in great detail. It's really not a big deal yo. It's a forum...people share opinions to varying degrees of detail.

Being better than H4 is still quite poor IMO. But i kinda agree

To me Halo was always a bit slower paced than other shooters at that time. Now Halo feels like a game that doesnt know what it wants to be :/ I really cant stand current Halo. Everyone is flying, thrusting, sliding across the map like Power Rangers :/

People saying thats it has the best gameplay must have played a different Halo 5 than me.

blakep267

I thought the changes to halo 5 MP worked quite well. All the added systems gelled together. If this is another sp story based thread then meh

Graciaus

The problem with Halo is you have two fan bases that want different things. You have those that want the old style and some that want the new. You can't please everyone.

What they need to work on more then anything is the maps. I could go down a list of all the maps I liked in 1-3 but couldn't really name any in 4/5. I've excepted that this is the new gameplay but it isn't any fun to play on their maps.

TheJoRu

giphy.gif

I don't think Halo 3 for example was particularly "important". It came out at the same time as a slew of great and at that time more important games such as Mass Effect, Portal and Call of Duty 4. But I played Halo 3 more than those games; it was damn good and that was basically all it was.

Wrong. Halo 5's Arena MP is the most fun I've had with the game since Halo:CE/Halo 2 MP.

You just described The Force Awakens. lol

Top Bottom