• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

LordKano

So, Nick Wingfield is a reporter at New York Times and had an interview with Reggie concerning Switch sales, he broke it in several tweets :

https://twitter.com/nickwingfield/status/838871984293359616
1. Update on Nintendo Switch sales I'll break into a multi-tweet. This from an intvw with Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of Amer. Pres
2. Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii.
3. This is particularly notable given that Switch launched in March, rather than holidays
4. Zelda for Nintendo Switch the best selling standalone launch title (i.e. not a bundled game a la Wii Sports) in Nintendo history...
5. ...beating Super Mario for N64
6. Long term comparisons to Wii, which sold more than 100 m LTD, are tough. But good start for Switch, with big games coming.

Doom me if old.

Timeaisis

That's great. Nintendo did well selling this to current (and previous) Nintendo fans. We'll see how the legs go, but great start.

The midnight launch line was pretty massive. Hope it means good things for the future especially since it's not a holiday season or anything.

Dremorak

Banned
Awesome. Now lock it down with a great virtual console service, and announce one or two more big games and 2017 is a great launch year for Switch.

Justified

Good for Nintendo.

And as pointed out by Zhuge, seem they are only comparing it against other home consoles (which the Switch definitely is), and not their handhelds

Also Wii had supply issues at launch, the big sale numbers came after, mostly through word of mouth between the casual crowd (and their day time shows)

HardRojo

I'll leave the cynicism for others, who I'm sure will have that covered.

Congrats, Nintendo! Loving my Switch
Lol at the preemptive defense.

Did they ever disclose how many units were allocated for the US market?
Congrats Nintendo, I'll be jumping in later next year, but I do hope the console thrives and becomes the home of the next Metroid title.

NMFried

This is so good to hear. Hoping the console has legs, but if launch was this good, it's already tracking ahead of Wii U.

Like I said. It's a good start for Nintendo. Please Nintendo keep MOMENTUM. That's all you have to do to have a good selling system. Huge E3. Come out with all the guns and keep the fans happy with updates to the Switch.

guek

Banned
I love my Switch! Congrats, Nintendo. Now get on getting out everything to make this a fully featured console by holiday :p

Kebiinu

Banned
Yessss! This bolds well for the potential of the system, and further sales. I hope word of mouth really drives this system places. My coworker just saw me turn on Zelda, and immediately said, "Wow, I don't even play games, and I want to buy one right now."

Let's see if it can keep up the pace..

Edit: Jumping the gun a bit, though. Still wanna see these numbers. Lol.

BuggyMike

Good shit. They delivered an attractive piece of tech with an absolute must have game at launch, and they conveyed it well their ads.

FelipeMGM

This is a great start, hope it keeps up like this.

Im sure Mario Odissey will make this the most wanted piece of hardware of the Holidays in the US

3. This is particularly notable given that Switch launched in March, rather than holidays

heh, not really. Its the first two days of the console, it will sell a lot no matter what the month is

heh, not really. Its the first two days of the console, it will sell a lot no matter what the month is

It matters to the extent that demand is lower in general when people aren't tripping over each other to buy holiday gifts.

It doesn't matter all that much because the #1 constraint on new hardware sales is usually supply.

Crazyorloco

I'll leave the cynicism for others, who I'm sure will have that covered.

Congrats, Nintendo! Loving my Switch

This is great news. Loving my system too.

"2. Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii."

Wow. I know that the launch numbers don't really mean much in the long run, but that's impressive still.

CrisKre

This system is something special, as is Zelda.

Beyond all the jade and cynicism that our hobby sometimes indulges in, I trully hope Nintendo achieves the success this system deserves. I look forward to many many years of great games for Switch!

Tom Nook

When will Nintendo get more in stock? I hope it's not like the Wii where it was hard to find one for a year or so.

13ruce

Banned
Here's hoping the sales don't implode like with the 3DS and Wii U

Maybe a few months it will, but the holiday season is gonna be insane with Mario and more.
Especialy if new things are announced at e3 like maybe pokemon or smash.

entremet

I think the system will be fine.

Nintendo needs to push indies hard because that's their 3rd party support.

Up the retail presence with physical releases of proven indie games.

gtj1092

So are we looking at 500k? Would be great.

Starting to think only 1.5 million max switches were shipped WW. Thought Nintendo was increasing launch shipments.

FelipeMGM

It matters to the extent that demand is lower in general when people aren't tripping over each other to buy holiday gifts.

It doesn't matter all that much because the #1 constraint on new hardware sales is usually supply.

I would agree if we were analyzing the first couple of months of the console. Not the first two days

As you said, its prob selling almost on par with stock amount anyway

Top Bottom