• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

Nintendo has sold 1.5m Nintendo Switch consoles worldwide, SuperData says.

Using data supplied to it by both Famitsu and GfK, SuperData says that 500,000 consoles were sold in the US, 360,000 were sold in Japan while Europe 'isn't far behind'. The data tracker observes that 85,000 units were sold in the UK while France managed 110,000.

If anyone was unsure as to what is driving the performance of the hardware, SuperData says 89% of Switch owners have bought the new Zelda game - which amounts to 1.34m in sales (and does not include sales of the Wii U version).

Link

Apologies for the typo at the end of the ttitle, meant to say tracked by Superdata.

Eolz

Congrats! Great launch for Nintendo.
Even the stock has been way better than past platforms for them.

dc89

A solid start and something to build on before. Looking forward to E3 now, Nintendo need a solid E3.

Copenap

I remember something about shipping 2 million units. Was this just a guess or was it until a later date? I would assume there are not 500k units left on shelves?

Zedark

Wow, that's a great result for the moment! Here's hoping they have upped their shipment goal for march beyond the 2 million mark, since they seem to be hitting that with ease and then some.

I remember something about shipping 2 million units. Was this just a guess or was it until a later date? I would assume there are not 500k units left on shelves?
That's shipping throughout March, not all at launch, so later on in the month the rest of the units are distributed.

They said they planned to ship 2 million in March. There are two weeks left. I imagine they'll ship what they planned from the beginning

BuggyMike

Awesome. The system seems to have really connected with people. I'm constantly hearing people talk about trying to get their hands on one. Hell my boss baught one and wants to play Mario Kart with me when it comes out.

NimbusD

Having worked for GfK in the past. Wouldn't trust their data at all. Though I didn't work anywhere near any Sept that would track products like this, it was a company culture. that out making their data seem impressive over making it accurate.

Anyway, the numbers seem right to me, if lot higher. Really comes down to how much Nintendo was able to ship.

I know Zelda is super beloved and all, but it still surprises me that as a March release, it managed to give a Mario launch during the holidays a run for its money.

I bought Zelda digital since all the special editions were sold out. I bet they didn't account for digital purchases. It's probably close to 1:1.

Great results for Nintendo and Zelda!

However I wouldn't read too much into the attachment rate. How many games did the Switch launch with?

EDIT: 12 games. Ok, nevermind me...

z0m3le

Banned
A solid start and something to build on before. Looking forward to E3 now, Nintendo need a solid E3.

I really want to see what Retro has been working on since the PS4 and XB1 launched, also really want to see Metroid from someone else at E3, if both of these can be big exciting products for Switch and the first look at what the Switch can really do (aside from Mario) I think they can drive hype for Switch right into the fall.

Now they just need to produce enough Switch consoles so I can walk into a store and buy one.

Decent start!

I really hope they can keep it up, Nintendo should become a great companion platform for gaming and maybe the main platform for more busy gamers that are always on the go. Let's see when Splatoon 2 launches and how they handle E3 which is by far the most important challenge for the console to date.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's SuperData, so I suppose this is just an estimate....I don't know how reliable it is. I'd prefer waiting for something more official (SuperData would include digital, btw).

Also, the thread's title should be changed to highlight how this comes from SuperData through GameIndustry, and not directly from GI.biz

Great results for Nintendo and Zelda!

However I wouldn't read too much into the attachment rate. How many games did the Switch launch with?

EDIT: 12 games. Ok, nevermind me...

Yeah but only like 3 physical games. It's embarrassing looking at the Switch section in video game shops.

ramparter

Banned

”We are continuously producing in earnest, and there are no changes to our plans to ship two million hardware units worldwide by the end of March 2017,"
http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/31/nintendo-still-aims-to-ship-2-million-switch-consoles-by-march/

So maybe they haven't shipped 2 millions yet.

spekkeh

Banned
honestly after the PS4 launch the number seems kinda ok.

Ps4 did a million in a day in just North America.
Yeah appears that Nintendo undershipped. Though I also have a hard time understanding how 500k+360k+<360k = 1500k. That's almost a 300k margin.

I wonder how accurate these numbers are.

Piichan

Banned
They need to keep this momentum with a good release schedule. Zelda is good for now, and Mario Kart, Mario Oddesey and Splatoon will help too. I really hope they have some more cards up their sleeve to give them a good transition into 2018.

Aiii

So not worth it
Let's hope they can keep the game quality/output up. One game does not a system make.

Knowing all the first party support will be on a single system is just the beginning, really.

With the entirety of 3DS and Wii U development moving onto a single system, I'm not really worried on this front. It is also pretty logical to assume the Vita being replaced by the Switch by the JRPG devs, not to mention the indie devs.

I'm glad the sales have been good, just to emphasize to all these devs that there will be people wanting to buy their games and I can only assume it will help in increasing support for devs that were on the fence before.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Solid enough for a March launch with really only 1 truly compelling game (and it's not even exclusive). We'll see how the legs will work out. Hopefully ARMS does well.

FingerBang

I just hope it lasts. I don't expect PS4 numbers but I want it to sell a lot and get a lot of good games. Haven't been interested this much in a portable in a very long time.

honestly after the PS4 launch the number seems kinda ok.

Ps4 did a million in a day in just North America.

That is honestly just absurd expectations and in March even. PS4 and XOne surprised everyone and are regarded as the best launching consoles in history. I wouldn't expect even their sucessors to do similar numbers

Top Bottom