• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo now to manufacture 16 million Switch consoles next FY, up from 8m

chadskin

holy-sht.gif

wapplew

Great, my prediction of Switch outsell Xbox one within 3 years likely to be true!
Might need to change it to within 2 years at this pace.

Neoxon

The Switch seems to be on the right track financially. Now they just need to maintain that momentum.

RM8

Switch is definitely going to outsell WiiU, right? At this point, GCN numbers once all it's said and done would be pretty okay.

Man, I just don't know how anything works. How could any information gained in the past few weeks lead to DOUBLING the amount of units they were planning to make?

Was the inital 8 million there just to be there to make sure it wasn't a complete bust? Were they always planning to up the number?

antonz

Switch is definitely going to outsell WiiU, right? At this point, GCN numbers once all it's said and done would be pretty okay.

If Nintendo can make and sell their plan for next fiscal year. They could outsell the Wii U by the end of this year

Sandfox

Seeing the Switch outsell the Wii U in a single year would nice.

I don't see any way it sells less than the Wii U and if it sells like they seem to expect it to now it will blow past the Gamecube the next year.

AdanVC

Awesome news! It seems the Switch sales exceed Nintendo's expectations. Hope the trend continues all the way. YouTube gaming side is nothing but Switch related videos, either good or bad with the joycon issues but the buzz is there.

R00bot

Holy shit, they have some massive confidence in this system.
Makes me wonder how many big hitting games they haven't announced yet...

sense

I would be shocked if they pass Wii U ltd figures by April 2018. 10 million by April 2018 is the upper limit for my prediction.
I see them revising the numbers by the end of the year.

HardRojo

Puts in perspective how terrible the Wii U was, but it's not like you needed perspective to be able to tell lol.
8 million in a single year seemed very conservative, though 16 mil is a tad too aggressive I'd have to say. Hopefully new batches reduce the apparent desync and scratching issues from launch. Whatever happened to the joycon desync issue btw? Haven't really kept up with it. Not planning to derail, just a quick short reply will suffice.

Wasp14

I said this elsewhere, but so many people thought the Wii U was an add-on or didn't know how it was different because of the name that the Switch has a leg up on it just by its title alone.

Anecdotally, I'm seeing non-gamers buy Switch's because they like the concept and bought into what Nintendo is selling. I've personally always leaned towards Sony but bought a Switch near launch because I'm so excited for its potential (and Zelda of course). I really think Nintendo has something big here.

Welfare

They were extra conservative on production pre launch and now are shooting for the moon. Hope it doesn't bite them in the ass like with Wii U.

Holy shit, they have some massive confidence in this system.
Makes me wonder how many big hitting games they haven't announced yet...

Yeah, crazy that they are already going to have 4 of their biggest IPs available in 2017.

Mario Kart (Personally think this is Nintendo's biggest IP)
Zelda
3D Mario and
Splatoon

Hopfully Pokemon and Smash show up too

RexNovis

Banned
The smart thing would've been to do this in the lead up to launch to actually meet demand but for whatever reason they opted not to do that. I'm glad they are at least trying to catch up to demand now but doubling prodcution seems wayyyyy too optimistic. Hopefully I'm wrong and demand keeps up with the increase in supply. I'd love to see Nintendo selling lots of HW again.

Bullza2o

Looks like Nintendo expects a boom in sales when MK8D comes out, but the marketing needs to remain strong to entice the casuals/nongamers.

sense

Didn't you just bump a thread with dozens of incorrect predictions?
Yea and? Feel free to bump and call me out if Nintendo comes anywhere close to 16 million by April of next year. Of course someone is always going to be wrong, doesn't mean you should stop predicting or not call out when someone was very wrong lol

This REALLY makes me think Stars is hitting this holiday season. I can't think of any other game that would push that many handhelds.

tsumineko

bu bu bu it's shitty hardware.

So happy to see it doing so well. The Switch has been the most exciting console in years.

Sterok

I've been thinking Switch will beat Wii U's LTD in 18 months for a couple of months now. Still holding to that prediction, though it's possible I'm being conservative. That would be nice. But probably too optimistic.

Neoxon

This REALLY makes me think Stars is hitting this holiday season. I can't think of any other game that would push that many handhelds.
That would explain the confidence to up the shipment to 16 million (that & the rumored Smash 4 port). I personally would have increased it to 12 million, but I'd be inclined to agree with Nintendo's choice if Pokémon Stars is an actual thing.

Plus a one-two punch of Pokémon & another major Nintendo IP isn't entirely unheard of (Ex: Smash 4-Wii U & OR/AS back in 2014).

guek

Banned
Man, I just don't know how anything works. How could any information gained in the past few weeks lead to DOUBLING the amount of units they were planning to make?

Was the inital 8 million there just to be there to make sure it wasn't a complete bust? Were they always planning to up the number?
You've got it backwards. Nintendo didn't wait until they knew for sure it was going to be a hit and then decide to figure out how to double production. Any competent business will have any number of plans in varying degrees of preparedness depending on what they believe to be likely. They also don't slavishly adhere to a business plan if circumstances change. The initial production number was likely contracted with some amount of leeway making it possible to increase or decrease production depending on launch. The drawback here is that Nintendo is leaving some money on the table by not having a larger initial shipment. Now, whether or not they believe scarcity is good for business like some people like to say, I have no idea.

random25

DOA.

But seriously, this shows that the demand is legit and Nintendo is really pushing the Switch hard. This year's holidays will be really interesting.

Lingitiz

16 million is a crazy amount of units, and they're really going to need their first party titles to hit hard to keep that demand there over the next few months. They really need Splatoon 2 and ARMS to kick ass to carry over the summer doldrums and into the Fall/Holiday where their lineup could potentially be incredible.

For Holiday, I don't have doubts it'll be a big ticket item. If Pokemon Stars and Smash for Switch alongside Mario Odyssey hit this Holiday, they can definitely do it. The prospect of a handheld Skyrim and NBA 2K should also help for that big holiday push. A small Black Friday discount will probably happen too. By this time next year this system could seriously have a monster of a lineup, both already out and on the way.

Spinifex

Yea and? Feel free to bump and call me out if Nintendo comes anywhere close to 16 million by April of next year. Of course someone is always going to be wrong, doesn't mean you should stop predicting or not call out when someone was very wrong lol

I just found it ironic, predict away!

Bgamer90

Banned
The last time I've been this happy with a Nintendo console was back during the Super Nintendo days. Really great seeing that the Switch seems to be doing FAR better than the Wii U. Nintendo learned many lessons.

D_prOdigy

Hope they've not gone from one extreme to the other. I'm sure the well-paid internal analysts know what they're doing though.

Impressive numbers if they can keep the momentum up. I think their lineup is looking strong by holiday 2017, but I suspect the price will need to drop sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom