• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diy tooth filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingwingin

For the last few days ive had a pain in one of my molars and ive noticed there is a piece of filling missing. I think it may have broken off due to me clenching my teeth a lot.

Im broke as fuck right now and i was quoted $400 just to fix it. Anyone here ever fill in a tooth before? I was thinking of slowly dropping super glue in the hope until it filled in.

Is there another substance i can use to cover it up?

Chris R

For the last few days ive had a pain in one of my molars and ive noticed there is a piece of filling missing. I think it may have broken off due to me clenching my teeth a lot.

Im broke as fuck right now and i was quoted $400 just to fix it. Anyone here ever fill in a tooth before? I was thinking of slowly dropping super glue in the hope until it filled in.

Please don't do that.

Is there a local college in your area with a dental program? They will often do work for a reduced cost to get their students experience.

Fat4all

Banned
I think it may have broken off due to me clenching my teeth a lot.

127764__UNOPT__pinkie-pie_animated.gif

bachikarn

You have to clean the cavity out first before you fill it up.

But seriously. Don't try. You are going to make it worse.

Lender

400$ bucks to redo your fillings? I had pictures taken of my teeth earlier This week followed by a filling of a cavity and it cost me 120€. 400$ bucks is really excessive it seems like.

iavi

The fuck, op.

As someone that works with dentistry, don't do any of this shit you're thinking of. Find a dental school in your area and sign up to let one of the students do your filling for about 1/8th the cost you were quoted. It won't be as professional, but it'll take care of the problem and you may even get a resin based composite (tooth colored) out of the deal instead of amalgam

You'll give yourself worse than a cavity trying to fill it yourself, the fuck lol

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I don't know why everybody is giving you shit. What harm could superglue possibly do to your throat if you end up swallowing it? It's not like there's anything important past that point.

Jezbollah

don't be an idiot. go to the dentist before you get an infection that costs even more money to fix.

This.

I had a filling, in a tooth that developed an infection in the nerve after. It was fucking agony. It finally died off after three days of insane pain.

Don't mess around with this kind of stuff.

No, there are reasons the stuff they use in fillings isn't cheap. If everyone could just do it at home then no one would bother getting them done. Most places have payment plan options for those who cannot pay up front, or look at insurance stuff like Delta Dental or some other buy it yourself insurance to help out.

shoelacer

Banned
I had a couple fillings replaced recently after not having dental insurance for a while. I was a lot more thorough when flossing and brushing the area.

Superglue won't work. I had a crown fall off and looked into gluing it back in, which works temporarily, but it degrades relatively quickly. Also, as far as using it as filling, superglue doesn't really work like that anyway.

Tuck

Please don't do that.

Is there a local college in your area with a dental program? They will often do work for a reduced cost to get their students experience.

Really good idea. Or talk to your dentist to see if he can reduce the cost or make a payment plan or something.

Don't neglect it.

bathsalts

Yea bro go for it, but sub in epoxy for the super glue tho

P1050417%2B%2528Large%2529.JPG

pump that in, easy as hell to do the mixing with your tongue too.

Fat4all

Banned
If you have any colleges nearby that offer schools of dentistry, you can usually get decent dental work there for a good price.

Burt

Buy a soldering iron for ~$20

Melt down a quarter

Drip the liquid metal into your tooth

Let it set

Problem solved

Just don't miss - your tooth will be fine with the heat, but it hurts a lot when you miss and drip liquid metal into your mouth.

ps don't do this jesus christ dude

MrNelson

Banned
God damn man, don't use super glue.

Just suck it up and eat the $400 cost. The longer you wait the more it is going to cost you in the end. A lot of places are willing to work with you if you can't make the payment in full, but just get it done before it becomes a more expensive problem.

Also, ask​ your dentist about getting a night guard made if you think you're grinding your teeth at night. The store bought boil and bite ones are crap and can shift your bite.

Jenov

Go to a dental college and try to get cheaper work done :/ Definitely don't use super glue or any other at home fixes that could ruin your teeth.

iavi

Go to the local dental college and just get it pulled so it won't bother you again.

Implants cost thousands, and a bridge isn't cheap itself either. If he can't afford a filling suggesting extractions ain't the way to go. Save what you can of a tooth first and always

multivac

They sell stuff for this at department stores like Walmart, but it's a TEMPORARY fix until you can get into the dentist. It's like putty, you squeeze it into the tooth and it hardens in a few minutes.

fe790517-0bed-4c8e-a849-fa36ad2376fd_1.37f2ee27e1c2c0f29139ac6cc5406701.jpeg

Edit: Also it's only like $3

WedgeX

Banned
Please don't do that.

Please please do this. Hell even go to another country and be a dental tourist before trying to do it yourself.

Please don't do that.

Do this.

If you can't do this you may be able to negotiate something with the dentist for a repayment plan or cheaper price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom