• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Life (2017) starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.
life.jpg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/life_2017

7 reviews up, currently at 100%

Variety - "Life's" a thrill when it's smart, but it's even more exciting when the characters are dumb - which is ultimately a paradox the film wears proudly, to the possible extinction of the human race.

Uproxx - Life borrows a lot from Alien, but it's still scary fun.

Metro - A high-end "Alien" knockoff, so polished and attractively cast that you might sometimes forget it has almost the same plot.

The Playlist - "Life" is lean, mean, and terrifying.

Time Out - How this by-the-numbers sci-fi horror managed to blast free of the DVD bin and engage A-list stars like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds is hard to figure out.

Sydney Morning Herald - A taut but puzzling space thriller.

Herald Sun (Australia) - A slick, suspenseful and stomach-churning sci-fi thriller, Life is the perfect Alien movie right now for those getting all twitchy waiting for the next Alien movie.

Independent - Daniel Espinosa's new feature provides incontrovertible proof that, well over three decades after that polyp-like succubus exploded out of John Hurt's stomach in Ridley Scott's Alien, the sci-fi horror film is alive and well.

Guardian - At the last moment, Reese and Wernick and director Daniel Espinosa hit their retro-rockets for a neat little 180-degree twist, thankfully reversing the prevailing mood of sucrose fatalism.

Make me kiss a facehugger if old

Seeing this trailer and the trailer for the new Alien in the theatre today was weird.

Weirder still since Life was channeling the original trailer for Alien.

And in the new Alien they found the same fucking ship again.

And Ridley wants to make 6 more Aliens.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Looked like the typical smart people poke shit with a stick and do dumb things.

They show the black dude dying in the commercial.
They show the him with his arm in a sling in another commercial so my guess is he doesn't eat it in the finger breaking scene.

kswiston

56 metacritic

rotten tomatoes is misleading af

There are too few reviews on each to make any meaningful comparison.

However, the fact that Life so far has 4 reviews and a 56 score points out my common issue with that website. The scores (75, 70, 50, 50) have a 61.25 arithmetic average, but due to the site's mystery weighting towards specific critics/publications, the score is 5 points lower. One would assume that Hollywood Reporter (50) and Variety (70) are about equivalent, so I guess Indiewire (50) has several times the weighting of the Playlist (75).

RT just gives you all of the reviews, says how many were considered fresh or rotten, and provides a straight arithmetic average on the ones that offer scores.

valeo

I saw the trailer for the new Alien film and then the trailer for this prior to watching Logan, and I said to my wife "this looks like it's doing Alien better than the actual prequel"

Reckon I might be proved correct. Hope it's good.

I was excited for March because of Logan, Kong, Life, and Ghost in the Shell. Out of those 4, I figured Logan and Kong would probably be the better 2 films, while Life and Ghost would end up being mediocre. There aren't too many reviews in for Life yet, but it looks like between Kong's so-so response and the early reviews for Life, maybe it'll be Life and Logan that end up being this month's better two offerings.

Life looks fun to me. It looks derivative as hell, but still pretty fun.

edit:

56 metacritic

Nevermind.

Jawmuncher

If the reviews hold up I might see this.
As soon as I saw that the film was an actual sci-fi alien flick I was intrigued.
The original trailer made it seem that it would be more about someone being infected and it being kind of a horror drama.

But knowing that it's basically a "Alien" style movie has me pleased.

EDIT:

56 metacritic

Mannnnnnnnnnn

kswiston

Mannnnnnnnnnn

edit:Nevermind.

Well there it is. That's more in line with what the trailers make it appear to be.

The Metacritic score is based on 4 reviews, two of which don't even have scores, other than through whatever method Metacritic uses to assign them scores.

It's too early to say either way. Obviously the 100% early rating on RT is meaningless other than to suggest it's not completely terrible. Even when it gets its final RT score, you need to consider the genre and review average.

Jocund

56 metacritic

People tend to forget that Rotten Tomatoes is only ever viable as a metric for whether critics generally like a film. A movie reviewers agree is only kinda sorta okay can end up with a 80+ tomato meter.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Nice, this has been a pretty pleasant surprise every time the trailer shows up during the previews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom