• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA PS4 demo up now on Japanese PS Store

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Just appeared on the store.

Runs in native 3840 x 2160 @ 60fps on a PS4 Pro. Good stuff.

Edit: Thanks to Karuto for pointing out you actually can link to the PS Store website! I always assumed they were temporary URLs based on your login. Good to know.

Edit 2: Alas, not native 4k at all, but still higher than 1920x1080. Go go pixel counters:

acfqXH.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, this perspective change is throwing me for some reason. I feel like you lose too much visibility in third person after coming off of the other games.

Blue-kun

Don't have a PS4 yet, so can't test it, but anyone who played the Vita ver. on Nightmare can try out Inferno and see whether or not they have added new patterns to the boss fight in the demo (assuming there's one)?

Game's looking amazing on the PS4, though. Can't wait to get my hands on it in the near future :)

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Don't have a PS4 yet, so can't test it, but anyone who played the Vita ver. on Nightmare can try out Inferno and see whether or not they have added new patterns to the boss fight in the demo (assuming there's one)?

Game's looking amazing on the PS4, though. Can't wait to get my hands on it in the near future :)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Inferno is selectable in the demo! I'll give it a go.

And I agree, with a controllable camera this perspective is totally fine.

Dio

Banned
Yep, this is good already. Love it.

So, if you're not aware of the controls:

R1 + the corresponding face button on the bottom left, like in Ys Seven and Celceta activates skills.

You are going to want to keep your finger over R1 because you are going to be using those face button skills CONSTANTLY.

Once you get a new skill, bind it using the second menu option with the star.

Square is switching your team makes, circle is regular attack, jump is X (yes, Jump is back).

Triangle is lockon.

You can also press R1 as a 'perfect guard' when you time it at the same time a monster almost hits you with an attack and it'll give you a damage bonus. This works for projectiles too.

You can use L1 as a 'perfect dodge' too, when you do the same thing but with rolling. You'll get a movement bonus instead.

L1 is roll (you can also roll after jumping), and L1+R1 together are your super attack. That super attack's meter is the yellow behind your face button skills - and it fills up slowly behind there after you use it up.

Not only that, it appears that when you're in the death animation from going to 0 hp, you have a small window in which you can heal your character from 0 HP with a healing item.

The health items and all that can be quick accessed using L2 and R2.

You can press the Options button again when you bring up the other menu (the Options button) to save.

Those little blue plants you see around, if you hit them, will help fill up your Skill gauge.

Touch the right side of your touchpad to change the type of map you're using.

Theswweet

I already played the Vita release, so in all honesty the demo felt pretty short - but that's not because it necessarily was a short demo, but rather because I already knew the area pretty well.

Can't wait for the full release in May!

Dio

Banned
Also I had no idea I would enjoy Sahad this much. They're all fun but for this area especially I like him. Laxia is great for plants that shoot shit because you can perfect guard the projectiles AND she has longer range, and I haven't gotten the hang of REALLY using Adol yet since jumping was introduced. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a good launcher in this demo and Sahad has one here right off the bat.

EDIT: Ah, there we go. Got one.

EDIT 2: Damn it feels good to flash guard multi-hit attacks.

Alright, so I beat the
Turtle.

Once you beat that, you will get an item that allows you to climb the vines you saw earlier in the level.

To equip this, go to your menu, then items at the very top, press R1 and your 'key items' window will be there. To equip it, just select it. Then you can just climb up the vines in front of you.

You can even jump onto the vines from the middle if you drop down to the right and grab the chest after your first vine climb, and the same goes for jumping off them while you climb your way up. You can do it both ways.

Dio

Banned
And there we go, beat it.

Nightmare is the way to go, for me. The game's way harder than I expected on Nightmare (Celceta's and Seven's were really easy), which is great. I love this and now that I've played it for myself, I'm even more excited to play it.

hongcha

I completed this game on Vita last year and loved it, it was my GOTY 2016.

I played the demo today and I was not terribly impressed. It just looks like the Vita game at 60fps. The characters' skin is now more orange too which I don't like.

I was thinking of getting this, but now I'll probably pass. Just not enough of an upgrade for me to play through it again.

Like I said, it's an amazing game, so whether you buy it on PS4 or Vita you can't go wrong.

Dio

Banned

I played the demo today and I was not terribly impressed. It just looks like the Vita game at 60fps. The characters' skin is now more orange too which I don't like.

I was thinking of getting this, but now I'll probably pass. Just not enough of an upgrade for me to play through it again.

Like I said, it's an amazing game, so whether you buy it on PS4 or Vita you can't go wrong.

From what has been said in PR apparently the PS4 version has more content.

YS VIII will have additional scenarios and content on PS4, including cut content such as the Dana content not in the Vita version.

If you want more Ys 8 this will have more for you.

Theswweet

I'll agree that the difference between the two versions isn't as large as I expected it to be. That being said, the "orange" color you're talking about might be your monitor/tv it seemed fine on my end.

Ascheroth

I have Ys: The Oath In Felghana on Steam. Is this a good starting point, or should I go ahead and play VIII on PS4?
Yes, Oath is a great starting point. VIII is coming to Steam day one as well, btw.

Fall is going to be glorious. Now to decide whether to get Ys VIII or Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Or both.

Oreiller

Yes, Oath is a great starting point. VIII is coming to Steam day one as well, btw.

Fall is going to be glorious. Now to decide whether to get Ys VIII or Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Or both.
Having played the japanese demo for both games, Ys VIII is probably the better choice if you really have to pick one.

Dio

Banned

Since it's likely Best Buy will have another 20 bucks off of 100 deal + GCU I'll preorder both for 36 dollars each on PS4.

Ys 8 is the better game but they're both great.

Intel_89

so just what is it running in and what is the western relase running in ?

comes out at the end of the year right ?

PS4/Vita, both physical/digital and through Steam.

It'll launch in Europe on the 30th of November, no idea if the US will get it any sooner.

Dio

Banned
Out of the two, id go Xanadu EX, but thats my taste coming out. That and i feel really bad for its japan sales.

Well, to be honest, TX ex+ was just a rerelease of a Vita title that sold 90k its opening week. Of course it'll sell less on PS4, even if ex+ has a shitload more content than the Vita version.

Tizoc

Just appeared on the store.

Runs in native 3840 x 2160 @ 60fps on a PS4 Pro. Good stuff.

Edit: Thanks to Karuto for pointing out you actually can link to the PS Store website! I always assumed they were temporary URLs based on your login. Good to know.

Edit 2: Alas, not native 4k at all. I was gravely misinformed. The official site does claim it is PS4 Pro enhanced in some way, however. And it is quite a rock solid 60fps. Also vastly improved textures, shadows, more foliage, etc.

acfqXH.jpg

Falcom still using late PS2 textures has its own charm I must say.

jb1234

It was alright, definitely more Ys in the vein of VII and Celceta. Was having difficulty keeping the enemies in front of me for some reason. I used a phone app to translate the text and was amused to see that despite the wild inaccuracies of the results, the characters were clearly not saying anything of particular interest.

(I much prefer the leaner Ys VI engine games but I'm sure I'll have a certain amount of fun with this.)

Love it. Combat feels great after getting used to it (which takes just a few minutes).
60 fps are always beautiful. Can not wait :)

But what's up with the orange skin of the characters?
Was it like this on the vita version too?

BigEmil

Did they confirm this coming to the west if so day 1 and if they bring Vita version too then ill double dip on both Vita and PS4 versions

Dio

Banned
How meaty is the demo?

Two bosses, a bunch of shortcuts, et cetera. On Nightmare I got a few hours out of it - the second boss was quite a nice surprise with its difficulty level.

Did they confirm this coming to the west if so day 1 and if they bring Vita version too then ill double dip on both Vita and PS4 versions

Yes, NISA is localizing it. They forcibly outbid XSEED, much to XSEED staff's sadness. Whether the localization will be any good (lol NISA) we shall see, but I hope they stay consistent with terms common to the series and at the quality of XSEED's localizations.

BigEmil

Two bosses, a bunch of shortcuts, et cetera. On Nightmare I got a few hours out of it - the second boss was quite a nice surprise with its difficulty level.

Yes, NISA is localizing it. They forcibly outbid XSEED, much to XSEED staff's sadness. Whether the localization will be any good (lol NISA) we shall see, but I hope they stay consistent with terms common to the series and at the quality of XSEED's localizations.

Yes. Even a collector's edition. Both PS4 and vita.
http://store.nisamerica.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-ps-vita

EU and US :)
Sweet! Made my day
Hope localisation is atleast decent but it doesn't bother me too much so it's ok :)

Top Bottom