• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware if you're purchasing the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for the d-pad

Spy

I was finally able to get a hold of one and thought I was doing something wrong because at times up and down would trigger when pressing left and right. I saw someone in the Pro controller thread mention this issue too and a quick Google search brings up many others talking about the same or similar problems.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller Left D-Pad Issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX7eostllRE

Switch pro controller dpad issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlZxPQNfkb4

Pro controller dpad not that great
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5yg4qq/pro_controller_dpad_not_that_great/

Switch Pro Controller issue? Are all D'Pads too sensitive or is mine broken?
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums...are_all_dpads_too_sensitive_or_is_mine_broken

D pad issue on pro controller?
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/75080865

Just a word of warning before you go out and purchase one for Puyo Puyo Tetris. I honestly didn't even want to make this thread but if you're nervous this could happen to you, you may want to check out that Hori controller.

Kuro

i dont even know why people need this pro controller. the joycons work great

Yeah except for the awful dpad on it and that little issue with the wireless interference in the left con and how tiny and uncomfortable the joycons are.

HardRojo

I prefer a regular shaped controller with a D pad. I haven't played with the Joycons yet (most likely this weekend at my friend's) so I can't really say how comfortable they are, but I know for sure I'll be getting a Pro Controller along with my Switch.

Crayon

That makes it easy to give up the mad hunt I've been on trying to find one. I'm not picky with controllers but I really dislike dpads that do that.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Mine hasn't done this... yet. however i'm not a huge fan of the dpad in general, way too mushy and hollow. The wii u pro controller one was nicer.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Because the Joycons lack a real D-Pad and local multiplayer be dammed someone should make and sell a left Joycons with a real D-Pad. Based on upcoming games I don't think the majority of players would willingly​ play Ultra Street Fighter II with a Joystick instead of a D-Pad if given the option.

Also on a side note this has to be Nintendo's worst console launch quality wise in my opinion because I don't remember people having this much issues with Wii,Wii U,DS/3DS (Except the hinges) or GameCube at launch.

kennyamr

I've been playing video games with "normal" controllers for a decade and a half. (Normal like the First Dualshock or the first Xbox controller and their respective successors).

Even if the JoyCons are super cool, my brain still feels way more comfortable with the Pro controller.

I couldn't enjoy Zelda at all if I didn't have it so in essence I do need it.

About my controller, So far I haven't found any problem with it, thankfully. I'm very happy with it.

guek

Banned
Mine has been fine since launch day. This is the first I've heard of this issue, and I haven't seen it reported on any major outlets. Is there actually anything to indicate that this is even worth mentioning outside of acknowledging production runs are never 100% perfect?

Dremorak

Banned
I'll get one when smash comes out, thats the only game where I care enough about the controller to want a traditional one. Otherwise split joycons too comfy and convenient to think about pro controller.

Maxinas

Some people just have to settle being the guinea pigs. Mine works just fine, and haven't had any issues with the Switch either.

El Sabroso

have been playing on Switch pro controller only, even using it in the neo geo games and had not this issue, those controllers are defective and should be replaced in warranty, as far as I have played, the switch pro controller is essential since joycons feel just off to me

edit: and also first time I have know about any issue with pro controller at all, really feels top of quality of a range of controllers I have used from various modern consoles

Zalman

This is another one of those things people will try to blow up when very few actually have the problem. I've had my hands on multiple Pro Controllers (local multiplayer) with no issues.

Vena

Can't say I have ever heard of this until now. Our gameroom for uni bought four of these and they all work perfectly on the pad.

This seems highly limited.

20 or so hours with the joy cons on Zelda, finally picked up a Pro. After using the Pro the joycons are laughable as controllers to me. I will never choose the JoyCon over this.

kubev

It's hard to find a good d-pad these days. I feel like they're not designed for the things that d-pads should be designed for nowadays, although that shouldn't be surprising when you consider that the Switch's default controller doesn't even have a d-pad. I haven't tested this with very many games, as I only have BotW and the demo for Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch right now, but the only issue I've been having is with pieces moving to the left unexpectedly in Puyo Puyo Tetris...which is clearly a problem. I'll have to pick up a fighting game for Switch at some point to really test this out, but I really hope Nintendo didn't screw up the d-pad on this thing. I feel like d-pads just aren't as good as they used to be, although I do think that Sony's d-pads tend to be among the most reliable and consistent.

Ultimadrago

Mine seems to function fine, but in terms of overall quality, yeah the D-Pad leaves to be desired. The controller is really nice in the hands largely though.

The Joycons are some of the most uncomfortable controllers I've used in a while. I absolutely hate them. The Switch Pro controller was legitimately a necessity for me to play Zelda (and likely any game in the future). I grit my teeth with the Joycons sometimes for Snipperclips, but I wish the game just had Pro support.

Happens all the time with mine, not sure if I can send it back or whatever. It's extremely noticeable in breath of the wild, if I'm trying to switch my arrows/shield it will often bring up the powers menu instead (up on the dpad). I can kinda avoid it by pressing the bottom part of the left dpad instead of the dead center like I usually do, but it's pretty disappointing. I'm sure I'll end up just living with it unless there is some easy fix to it.

Instro

I had assumed this was an issue with Zelda, not the controller itself LOL. I think it's affecting a fair amount of people though since I had seen the same problem mentioned regarding Zelda with regards to runes/weapons menus being opened by accident. Well I'm going to exchange mine anyway, I'm having issues with the battery.

Solid job on QC so far guys.

I've also had this issue with mine. Thought I was crazy until I saw this thread. Fortunately I was mostly buying it for the size/comfort (joycons are ridiculous baby toys) rather than the D-pad.

Spy

Can't say I have ever heard of this until now. Our gameroom for uni bought four of these and they all work perfectly on the pad.

This seems highly limited.
I am honestly starting to feel like I have just been having the worst luck with Nintendo lately. Had a really bad experience with the first year DualShock 4 controllers (analog peeling) too.

Vibed

As I've said before, it appears the entire D-pad presses down like it's one big button. You can press from the very center of the pad and the whole thing depresses. The center of the pad isn't raised much at all, meaning there's very little "rock" between up/down/left/right inputs. Thus, it's really easy to accidentally press up/down when pressing left/right (or vice versa). Seems like just a design issue that makes for a poor D-pad.

I remember this happened to both my Wii U Pro Controllers after extensive use with Super/Ultra Street Fighter IV. I'd tend to jump when i meant to dash. Very annoying, but again, that was after hundreds of hours of use.

I have 65 hours in BotW but haven't really played anything with my Switch Pro Controller that makes heavy use of the d-pad, but i cant say I've noticed anything wrong with mine.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yeh ive got this problem. I assumer i was just bad using the dpad. As per yhe poster abovr and like many in the zelda thread it happens alot wheb changing weapons. Hopefully its resolved in future controlers and i can just ship mine in to be repaired in the future. Its not really a big deal. Doesnt happen all the time onlu when you lean hard on the top of the right or left dpad section

Instro

I am honestly starting to feel like I have just been having the worst luck with Nintendo lately. Had a really bad experience with the first year DualShock 4 controllers too.

I've never had hardware issues until the Switch launch personally. I've pretty much been hit with all the big issues that have arisen so far. I don't know if that's bad luck, or the issues are relatively widespread, maybe both.

Just tried this on both of my pro controllers. No problems whatsoever, no matter how fast or sloppy I press the D-Pad, I always get the input I want. As for the random input mapping glitch, the Joy-cons can do that too apparently. Never had that problem myself, but others fixed it by reconnecting controllers in the "Change Grip/Order" menu.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
4 of my friends and I all bought a pro controller and not one of us got this problem.

Did you send it to Nintendo for repairs?

I've played like 20 hours of Puyo Puyo Tetris with my Pro, using the d-pad the whole time. I can't recall ever having any issues.

Definitely a defect, but a pretty bad one. Definitely warrants a free replacement.

I've never had hardware issues until the Switch launch personally. I've pretty much been hit with all the big issues that have arisen so far. I don't know if that's bad luck, or the issues are relatively widespread, maybe both.
Feel for you, man. Hardware issues suck. I had to send back three 360s and one PS3. I've been lucky on the switch so far, but I'm going to test my pro controller.

Top Bottom