• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dark Souls 3 PS4 Pro Patch: Can It Hit 60fps?

Source

The Dark Souls 3 patch 1.11 finally adds PS4 Pro support! From Software promises higher frame-rates - but just how high do they go? Can it run at 1080p60?

The performance averages around 45-50 fps, with the lowest dips in the mid 30s.
There are no graphical upgrades and no option to cap the frame-rate.

BigEmil

Averages around 50fps and they're testing it in the starting area in this vid. VGTech tested it on another area which achieved even higher fps more times and reached 60 more than here looks like the beginning area is more demanding or something

So FROM just unlocked the framerate and that's it basically.

Looks like it. SE did the same with FF XV in lite mode. But the lite mod ran good on the Pro, the frame pracing issues in this mode only appeared in cutscenes. The high mode and the base PS4 had the issues during gameplay.

Dark Souls 3 on the other side had always the frame pacing issues during gameplay. Unlocking the frame rate is far from ideal, but it's still a bit better than the frame pacing issues, like mentioned in the video. But they should fix the issues and offer a toggle with a proper 30fps cap.

In the end, it's still a upgrade but with much wasted potential.

HardRojo

From just flipped a switch and called it a day. It's them so I wasn't expecting much, to be honest. I watched the video while doing some other stuff so I'm not sure if the framepacing was fixed or not.

nOoblet16

I'll say this again, it's not optimal but I'd rather have judder from 40-50fps than have the choppiness and judder that comes from framepacing at 30fps. It would've been nice to have a 30fps mode with perfect framepacing though.

Listonosh

From Software should have opted for higher resolution instead of higher frame rate, PS4 Pro it's not suited for that.

Disagree completely. I'd much have the Nioh choices. Better framerate at a lower resolution or higher res at a locked 30. That way everyone gets what they want. Framerate>graphics any day

convo

Looks like it. SE did the same with FF XV in lite mode. But the lite mod ran good on the Pro, the frame pracing issues in this mode only appeared in cutscenes. The high mode and the base PS4 had the issues during gameplay.

Dark Souls 3 on the other side had always the frame pacing issues during gameplay. Unlocking the frame rate is far from ideal, but it's still a bit better than the frame pacing issues, like mentioned in the video. But they should fix the issues and offer a toggle with a proper 30fps cap.

In the end, it's still a upgrade but with much wasted potential.

From gets promted to do changes with enough feedback. We'll see if DS3 TRC will get updated more afterwards, but i am betting technical improvements are only going to happen on whatever their next game is going to be.

Arzehn

I hate this middle-ground, Sony made a product that was designed to increase resolution not increase FPS. This game should be locked at 30 at higher resolution on PRO.

This system just isn't designed for turning 30fps games into 60fps. They just didn't upgrade the CPU enough. That was Sony's choice but these developers need to get with the program.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
woof. i don't know how they thought they a framerate that was all over the place was a good idea, without even offering the option to lock at 30.

at least there's a rock solid PC version.

Gitaroo

Looks like minimal effort was put in, they just re compiled the game and call it a day as DF said. Lame as hell

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I Love "From", but man they're lazy at optimizing games for hardware.

This kind of lackluster update for the Pro is just frustrating and not needed.

Give me 4k and stable 30fps.

Audioboxer

I think they should put in a 30FPS toggle to keep people happy. Lazy not to. As for this, best we can get from From. I'll happily play at unlocked, but as I said, don't be lazy From, patch in a toggle.

I Love "From", but man they're lazy at optimizing games for hardware.

This kind of lackluster update for the Pro is just frustrating and not needed.

Give me 4k and stable 30fps.

image.php

I hope you mean upscaled/checkerboard as 4K native and From doing 30FPS? lol

belmonkey

Should have went for a higher resolution since that's what the pro is good for, but I'd still prefer the pro fps over the original ps4 version. My rx 470 can kinda get near 1800p 30 fps at med-high settings, but at 1080 it has better fps stability than the pro (I have a i5 4440 tho).

blado

Just like Final Fantasy XV. Garbage.

Give us back the option for solid 30fps.

Solid 30fps never existed for this game in the first place, sadly. I agree with the video that this option is technically better than 30 fps with bad framepacing, but it's still a lazy patch overall.

Still a lot of obvious GPU-based drops in that video with alpha on the screen. Even without the jag, this would not be 60 without compromising some effects work.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Increased visuals with a solid 30fps would've been ideal.

Unlocking the framerate, and calling it a day, is the laziest "support" a dev can give the Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cross posting from the other topic.

NXGamer weighs in on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjE_G2SfR5k

- Pro patch has drastically reduced frame-pacing issues.
- Pro patch has zero frame spikes as opposed to 157 50ms spikes in non patched version (in sample video)
- NXG declares this patch as the best console version of the game.
- "There's no way I'l go back and you'd really be struggling to see anyone who would also chose the same (older version)"

For those complaining, don't use FFXV as reference, the frame rate there sticks in high 30's to low 40's hence the uneven feel. Frame rate is mostly above 50 fps here, it's a huge improvement regardless of the lessened framespikes.

Top Bottom