• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 uses about 150MB of mobile data per hour while tethering

Nintendo is testing out its upcoming online shooter Splatoon 2, and it turns out that the game is a lot more of the same except it's on the Switch. But that means you can play the game anywhere you have an Internet connection, which is an exciting possibility for anyone with a smartphone that can turn into a Wi-Fi hotspot.

For one of Nintendo's hour-long Splatoon 2 Global Testfire events today, I turned my Samsung Galaxy phone (may it never explode) into a hotspot and connected my Switch. I immediately logged onto Splatoon for 60 solid minutes of ink splatting and squid killing, and after that session, I checked and found that my smartphone's hotspot app had used 153MB of data in the hour I was playing. The Switch was the only device connected to the network, and I was connected to Splatoon for that entire time.

I think that for some people, that might mean they can justify spending their data budget on a match here or there. For me, with T-Mobile's unlimited LTE plan, I'm going to play Splatoon 2 everywhere. This changes everything for me

And it's not just the relatively low data usage, it's that the game works really well over a smartphone connection. I didn't notice any lagging or rubber-banding. I was able to keep up with the competition, and I was regularly getting twice as many kills as deaths.

SOURCE : https://venturebeat.com/2017/03/25/...50mb-of-mobile-data-per-hour-while-tethering/

image.php

bigkrev

Yeah, I played for 20 minutes while tethered in a Diner, and it used maybe 70 MB for me on Verizon. Played flawlessly as well.

Cartman86

Banned
Well yeah, but make sure you don't have auto-update on or you may end up downloading an update that is much larger than that.

guek

Banned
I was thinking the other day if it would be possible for Nintendo to set up a wi-fi hotspot service for carriers that works exclusively for Switch. Because it's exclusive to one device, such a subscription could potentially be much cheaper than usual hotspot subscriptions.

Such a thing would require massive amounts of collaboration though between Nintendo and cell phone carriers. It would probably be way too big of a headache for any of them to want to try.

duckroll

Interesting data.

What about latency?

It's in the OP?

"And it’s not just the relatively low data usage, it’s that the game works really well over a smartphone connection. I didn’t notice any lagging or rubber-banding. I was able to keep up with the competition, and I was regularly getting twice as many kills as deaths."

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That seems pretty, well, typical.

Game data is very light - really regardless of the game unless for some odd reason things are rendered client side. For most titles, though, it's just key inputs being transmitted. Tickrate can make a difference, too.

I travel a lot, and most any 3D game online - from WoW to LoL to Overwatch eats between about 100-300MB an hour. A few games are higher for some reason (for example. GTAV online could eat up to a gig).

The biggest concern is ping. From my experience, only AT&T and Verizon can maintain sub 50ms ping for extended use - and typically only in major cities AWAY from congestion (airports, stadium, malls, etc).

For anyone that cares :)

EDIT: This is how one of my friends/colleagues games on the road, lol
33692905475_398691fbb5_z.jpg

... 99% of it playing through his AT&T Hotspot from his iPad.

jokkir

Isn't this a lot? I remember playing a tethered Dota 2 game and after, it just took up around maybe 30MB of data

Maybe I was dreaming things.

Luigi87

Isn't this a lot? I remember playing a tethered Dota 2 game and after, it just took up around maybe 30MB of data

This is how I feel.
I've played LoL tethered and it didn't use anywhere as much data.
I tested Splatoon 2 myself and felt I was using too much data per match on my 2GB plan I've got.

Edit: Ah well that explains that (FyreWulff's post below)

FyreWulff

No, that's about the data rate. RTSes and games based off RTSes like Dota take less bandwidth because they use lockstep networking which is generally just networking the actually button/mouse presses and not the units themselves, so lower data usage.

With shooters it's asynch which requires more bandwidth, and that bandwidth goes up the more players there are in the game, regardless of dedicated servers or peer.

Jerm411

Sorry, didn't read the OP.

I would just need an app to do it? Never done it before.

Nope...on iPhone there's a setting for Mobile Hotspot, just flip it on, and connect the Switch like you would any other WiFi connection.

It's super easy.....

valeo

No, that's about the data rate. RTSes and games based off RTSes like Dota take less bandwidth because they use lockstep networking which is generally just networking the actually button/mouse presses and not the units themselves, so lower data usage.

With shooters it's asynch which requires more bandwidth, and that bandwidth goes up the more players there are in the game, regardless of dedicated servers or peer.

Thanks for that explanation; completely makes logical sense.

Syriel

I didn’t notice any lagging or rubber-banding. I was able to keep up with the competition, and I was regularly getting twice as many kills as deaths.

I would be interested in seeing actual comparisons.

For one of the recent CoDs (AW, IIRC), playing on a connection w/a higher latency gave you an advantage due to the way the net code did syncing. It was easier to get a better K/D on a crappier connection for a good while.

jokkir

I remember it not being too high with Counter-Strike GO either when I had to tether when my internet went down during a competitive match. Hmmm. I'll test it out again whenever I have time.

jrDev

Played it with tethering and mentioned this in the Testfire OT that it ran very shockingly smooth...also unlimited TMobile blazing fast plan so I am set to play anywhere!! :D

Hattori

Banned
I recently got 10GB of hotspot data on my plan, this is great news. I hope Mario Kart will be around the same ball park

Nisa65

I was playing it for a little while on a bus ride back from Kobe to my place in the sticks(Kagawa) via my iPhone on Sunday afternoon and this was the end result.

I'm far from the best player in the world so if I can do this well then I'd say that lag wasn't an issue. I certainly didn't notice any while playing.

I was thinking the other day if it would be possible for Nintendo to set up a wi-fi hotspot service for carriers that works exclusively for Switch. Because it's exclusive to one device, such a subscription could potentially be much cheaper than usual hotspot subscriptions.

Such a thing would require massive amounts of collaboration though between Nintendo and cell phone carriers. It would probably be way too big of a headache for any of them to want to try.
Wouldn't it be similar to how some carriers let you watch YouTube or Netflix or listen to spotify or whatever without it counting towards your data total? So instead of Netflix it'd be Nintendo and instead of free it'd be its own price?

I found this out during the Test Fire and given the fact that I have unlimited data on T-Mobile, I didn't hesitate.

This is going to be dangerously convenient when the retail version ships.

Tabasco

Nope...on iPhone there's a setting for Mobile Hotspot, just flip it on, and connect the Switch like you would any other WiFi connection.

It's super easy.....
I'm on Android but I easily found it in Settings.

Learned something new today!

HardRojo

That's actually pretty good. I got an 8 GB plan (with all the competition in Peru maybe they'll up it to 10 soon) so next year when I get my Switch I might play a game here and there.

Interesting data.

It's in the OP?

"And it’s not just the relatively low data usage, it’s that the game works really well over a smartphone connection. I didn’t notice any lagging or rubber-banding. I was able to keep up with the competition, and I was regularly getting twice as many kills as deaths."

Interesting. That's really cool to be able to do this without any issues of using a phone as a hotspot. Future is here.

Nightii

Banned
Folks, I'm genuinely sorry to rain on the parade, because I do understand the idea of using your phone as a hotspot to play online on the go is pretty darn neat, but seriously, please avoid doing this.

No matter how well it looks and feels on your end, trust me, you will be lagging for other people, you will teleport and do silly stuff due to it on other people's end, and odds are you will run into other people doing the same and feel it too.

Splatoon already had to deal with a bunch of people with terrible connections getting away with a lot dumb stuff due to their lag, try to not increase that much more, for everyone's sake.

Top Bottom