• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix evaluating whether or not to bring Rocket League to Switch

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine some people are curious about this one, so you would probably want to go talk to them on Twitter or something if you wanted it.

IGN said:
"Just like all the other platforms, we are evaluating it. We're looking to see what the technical requirements are," Dunham said. "We're looking to see what kind of true community demand there is. We're looking to see how it would benefit the community as a whole. So we're still in that evaluation phase. It's definitely too early to say that it wouldn't happen, but it's also definitely too early to say that it would."

"I think we've shown over time we're a community based company, and so what we're doing first is seeing what kind of impact that would have and who needs it and who wants the game and we'll go from there," Dunham said. "Luckily the platform's only been out for a month, so we have plenty of time to look to see how it's doing and what our audience wants."
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...ntendo-switch?abthid=58da64e3bd5db7066e00000a

_Rob_

Bringing one of the best multiplayer games in years to a platform marketed with multiplayer in the forefront; sounds like a solid idea to me.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't see it happening. I can imagine that there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the Nintendo audience and the Rocket League audience.

Do Nintendo allow cross-network play with other systems? Would be difficult to find a large enough dedicated audience if they don't.

I want this so bad, but we have to remember that the one thing that Rocket League rests on is the very thing that Nintendo has really struggled with:

Online Multiplayer

Jerm411

I think it'd be a huge hit on Switch and sell like gangbusters so I can see them trying whatever possible to get it there.

BigEmil

Lower the graphics settings, lower resolution to 720p and there it should be able to play it at stable 60fps on Switch, this would sell alot on Switch aswell they will definitely do it I'm sure
please don't use the guys who ported it to PS4 Pro
Panic Button the same guys who also ported it to Xbox One

Dryk

Having local multiplayer Rocket League would be amazing for conventions

Why would that be

The game is pretty Miyamoto-esque in how it's so focused on good mechanics, playability and controls
You can really tell that Psyonix put a lot of care into making the cars satisfying to just drive around the arena. The boosts have really good visual and auditory feedback to them as well.

maxcriden

I want this so bad, but we have to remember that the one thing that Rocket League rests on is the very thing that Nintendo has really struggled with:

Online Multiplayer

Is that still much of an issue for Nintendo (separate from the issue of whether people will pay for their paid online service)? I had no problems in the online MP I played on 3DS and Wii U.

They're probably looking into Nintendo's online infrastructure. Are multiplayer games running good on the Switch or is it still a work in progress?

LewieP

I'm not into the game myself, but I hope it happens for people who want it.

I would be interested to see how a third party multiplayer centric Switch game does when Nintendo paywall multiplayer.

I'd also be interested to see what Nintendo's policies are for cross-platform multiplayer is on the Switch.

Tain

They would have to port it themselves, but that was also the case with the PS4 and Xbox One to a large extent.

RL definitely wasn't the first UE3 game on those platforms, but I don't know if there's an official Epic-handled UE3 for them. Kinda wonder if the platform holders could have arranged something there.

C.Mongler

I don't see it happening. I can imagine that there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the Nintendo audience and the Rocket League audience.

Yes, Nintendo fans only like to play games with fun comic book fonts, pretty colors and shapes, hand-holding, and Ellen DeGeneres-level memes sprinkled throughout. A game like this would simply be too much for the average Nintendo fan to handle or comprehend.

It's god damn rocket car soccer, it's exactly a game Nintendo audiences would find appealing.

People have been talking to Psyonix about getting the game on Switch for a while. Heck, it's why they stated something about trying to get the game on Switch at all. It's a big indie title that I think fits the Switch and people would buying it if it's a solid enough port for portability.

4Tran

This shouldn't even be a question. Rocket League is exactly the kind of game that Nintendo should want on the Switch and they should be approaching Psyonix to make it happen no matter what it takes. It doesn't seem as if this has happened yet, and I wonder what the holdup is.

LordKano

I'm pretty sure people would play Rocket League no matter the platform. PS4, Xbox One, Switch, Ouya, or even my microwave.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Evaluating?

What's taking them so much to understand it would be great?

Its a service at this point - so if they develop a Switch version they would have to maintain it for as long as the game is up and running. Good and worthwhile if Switch is a success...not as commercially viable of the systems craters after the honeymoon launch period.

Haunted

Don't know about their internal road maps for Rocket League, but this seems like a really, really good fit and a solid project to invest in... if they had started this a year ago. If they only just start thinking about a possible port now, I don't know if the timing's in their favour.

And yes, given the WiiU's market performance and Nintendo's track record, I don't fault them for not even considering it until now.

This shouldn't even be a question. Rocket League is exactly the kind of game that Nintendo should want on the Switch and they should be approaching Psyonix to make it happen no matter what it takes. It doesn't seem as if this has happened yet, and I wonder what the holdup is.
Yes, seems like a weird oversight on Nintendo's part considering how proactive they've apparently been towards other indie developers. Having a competent version of Rocket League on Switch as a launch game? Tell me that doesn't sound good.

Top Bottom