• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo still cannot transfer Switch saves (Polygon) [Up: They can, but not you]

Vitacat

NOTE: post edited to be more accurate. I jumped the gun before in anger. Sorry about that.

We all know how frustrating it is that Switch owners have no way to transfer or backup save data yet. Accordiing to this Polygon report in some cases Nintendo may not be able to either if sent in for repaiir.

UPDATE: note this post from a GAFer who sent his Switch in...
Here's part of my repair notes:

jjzZDUN.png

OqoSnfd.png

Nintendo transferred the saves to my new system, yes.

Good to see that. But it's still frustrating that users have no way to backup saves to mSD.

NOTE: changed the thread title to be more accurate, my apologies.

The_Lump

Banned
Old news, new thread?

Srsly tho, they do need to fix this asap. Cloud saves can't be that hard.

But yeah this is a widely known issue.

Nairume

Banned
Doesn't this go against the report of the one guy showing off his save being downloaded from them after getting a new unit in a repair?

That sucks..

Even on Wii U you could copy stuff to an external drive though that drive was only usable on that Wii U. I do this on occasion to in case something fails.

Vitacat

We were expecting this to change in one month because... ?

Because it's disgusting and should've been addressed in that last firmware update.

Old news, new thread?

Srsly tho, they do need to fix this asap. Cloud saves can't be that hard.

But yeah this is a widely known issue.

New report at Polygon. Not everyone knows, and IMO it deserves continued focus, because it's insane that a month later we can't backup saves. Even if the cloud is not ready, backing up encrypted save data to mSD should be in the firmware. And at the very least, some sort of internal transfer tool should be available to Nintendo support.

This is not entirely accurate if you read the article and source. People who have sent in their Switches for repair have actually gotten their saves to transfer. It looks like in this case his console was completely bricked, so there was no way to actually move the save files.

Clearly this isn't the case for every repair though.

EDIT: Oh wait those other stories were BS? My bad then

EDIT EDIT: Oh nevermind, I'm a slow reader. So my initial point was right, right?

nullpoynter

I remember seeing a post awhile back of someone who sent their Switch in for repair. They had mentioned when they received it back that their saves downloaded from what appeared to be the cloud. Am I crazy or does someone else remember this?

I'm honestly 50/50 on this one. I 100% believe that the option should be there, but I can also see why Nintendo didn't include it right away.

I've been lucky enough to have a completely functional Switch, but I feel for those negatively affected by this. They need to implement Cloud saves or something rather soon. SD card support seems 50/50 as I'm sure they're worried about exploits.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Totally not true.
I received a completely different switch and my saves carried over in Zelda (cart version).

That guy's system was bricked, so no salvaging them I guess.

What would be more embarrassing is if enough Switches were failing in order to make this a widespread problem. It sucks for people affected and it really shouldn't be the case, but I think calling it shameful is going a bit far.

I mean, it shouldn't even be an issue in the first place. How in 2017 I should be worried about whether or not I can transfer or recover save data is beyond me.

Edit: Although from the sounds of it, some people have managed data transfers?

Wait, haven't there been reports of people sending in faulty units and getting a new system back with their save data still on it?

Are those people lying?

Vena

Pretty sure this isn't the case. The one point of issue is that it seems this console was entirely bricked, so nothing could be recovered.

But the article title (and to some degree the premise) specifically is wrong.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Doesn't this go against the report of the one guy showing off his save being downloaded from them after getting a new unit in a repair?

Wasnt that bullshit? He saw a little cloud icon so he assumed the system had cloud saves.

Magypsy

Because it's disgusting and should've been addressed in that last firmware update.

Disgusting is a bit much, inconvenient sure

Could be that it's not in yet because they don't want hackers messing with saves to allow for a kernel exploit on their barebones OS

Portugeezer

I'm honestly 50/50 on this one. I 100% believe that the option should be there, but I can also see why Nintendo didn't include it right away.

I've been lucky enough to have a completely functional Switch, but I feel for those negatively affected by this. They need to implement Cloud saves or something rather soon. SD card support seems 50/50 as I'm sure they're worried about exploits.
OK, but that should not be the average consumers worry.

And other people have sent theirs in and had their saves transferred. Some have had customer reps explicitly tell them saves can be transferred/recovered so this singular example is far from definitive. We're still getting too many conflicting reports

Let alone be a feature that should had been available out of the box from day one...

...I mean, it is an portable that's not on the cheap side regarding pricing. Having the ability to protect your data in case something happened to your Switch should be an expected failsafe.

Madao

the fact the carts don't hold their save data internally amplifies this problem a lot since, if this happened on 3DS and you had the cart version of a game, your save woud still be safe.

What can be the reason for them not to include this? Out of all the silly decisions Nintendo made with this console this one upsets me the most.

guys, Nintendo just wants to capture that old school feeling from the 80s. Remember when save files didn't even exist?

no seriously though, fuck this assbackwards anti-consumer nonsense.

ggx2ac

All that was, was that his game was archived. His save data wasn't deleted. He just had to redownload the game.

Vitacat

And other people have sent theirs in and had their saves transferred. Some have had customer reps explicitly tell them saves can be transferred/recovered so this singular example is far from definitive. We're still getting too many conflicting reports

Well, that's part of the problem then. Would you feel 100% safe sending your Switch in if you needed to? Or would you still feel unsure about your saves?

Too many conflicting reports is correct, and it's up to Nintendo to get this situation clarified and addressed.

As for people not liking some of my words, are you serious? In 2017, and not even a basic save backup to mSD? No, that is disgusting and embarrassing. I won't take those words back.

jjzZDUN.png

OqoSnfd.png

Nintendo transferred the saves to my new system, yes.

That's really good to see. That definitely makes me feel more confident about Nintendo support if the need arises. But it's still bad that we have no user save backup to mSD in firmware.

Send your info to Polygon.

I'll add your post to the OP.

jjzZDUN.png

OqoSnfd.png

I'm willing to bet no Polygon article will be made on this

Well, that's part of the problem then. Would you feel 100% safe sending your Switch in if you needed to? Or would you still feel unsure about your saves?

Too many conflicting reports is correct, and it's up to Nintendo to get this situation clarified and addressed.

As for people not liking some of my words, are you serious? In 2017, and not even a basic save backup to mSD? No, that is disgusting and embarrassing. I won't take those words back.

But that's the point. Polygon make a declarative statement about something that they don't know for sure, which is awful journalism

Top Bottom