• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's investor's conference: Interesting bits, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 4

boskee

The previous thread seems to have been dedicate to the sale numbers of the Witcher series (25 million), but there were other much more interesting things revealed during today's conference

- Cyberpunk 2077 is in full development mode and there are over 300 people working, which represents 3/4 of the total workforce they want on this project. They already have all core staff for the projects, they're looking to hire plenty of testers etc.

- Job positions posted on their site, such as concept artists are mainly "opportunity hires" as "it's hard to get top notch artists", but they're not required for work on Cyberpunk 2077 as per previous point.

- They will be developing their second, unannounced AAA title concurrently with Cyberpunk 2077

- They will be working with the Cyberpunk license for years to come

- Cyberpunk 2077 is in advanced development stage, they still need plenty of time on it

- This year is the year of Gwent (in terms of communication)

- Gwent will be released in the second half of this year, open beta will launch on all three platforms - PC, Xbox One AND PS4 in the spring. (looks like the PS4 stress test starting tomorrow will be quickly followed by the open beta, but that's my assumption)

- CEO grinned when asked what the period between the release and announcement of the Cyberpunk 2077's release date will be and declined to answer the question

- TW3 is definitely done and dusted, no further expansions etc

- Gwent is already bringing good profits for CDPR, they're happy with its performance

- They're setting up two local representative in China and Japan, mainly to support Gwent's growth

- They're not going to reveal how many kegs etc they sell in Gwent. They want to keep that data private.

- They're currently expanding/developing the multiplayer aspect of GOG Galaxy

and finally, one investor pressed CEO by saying:

Your current valuation of 7 billion PLN is mostly thanks to the success of The Witcher series, don't you think that if you announced Witcher 4, your valuation would be 10 billion or more?

Kiciński shrugged, and said: The Witcher was designed as a trilogy. Trilogy cannot have a fourth part, however we like that world very much. We have invested 15 years of our lives and loads of money into it and we will probably think about it at some point. But please consider us as rational people, we sometimes have weird ideas, but overall our thinking is very rational. We have full rights to The Witcher games. They are ours. We have invested enormous funds into promoting it, and it's a very strong brand. Answer your own question :)

- But there are also shareholders...

- Sure, but there's also communication and that's a trouble, that we have talking to you guys. We have to be very careful with our words, because what we tell you is also heard by the gamers. Obviously plenty of you are gamers as well, but what we tell gamers is part of the marketing campaign, so we can't discuss certain things even though we know them already. We cannot reveal our full hand.

komplanen

I like how they're not letting themselves get sucked into one franchise.

So many bigger companies would have just pumped those games out like McDonald's breakfast and there would probably have been two or three spin-offs already if Ubisoft was the developer.

Geralt is done. They need to introduce something new. I'd like learn more about that world though.

I'd love to see other places and mysteries, meet other monsters and learn about more of the world's history.

I like Ciri, but I'm not sure she would be the right vehicle for that either. She's too powerful.

artsi

CDPR not making Witcher 4 would be like Rockstar not making GTA VI. Of course it's coming, sooner or later.

Cyberpunk fall 2018 believe

Also excited to see what's next for The Witcher. Ciri game pls

Ciri is OP as shit.

Witcher: Origins, make-your-own-witcher (women included because they're not officially non-canon), choose a school to start from and work your way up the monster-huntin' ranks.

Salvadora

Don't imagine that we will see Witcher 4 until into the 2020s.

Cyberpunk is their priority, and even that is years away.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They'll make a deal with TellTale to make a episodic series based in The Witcher world.
I hope not.
Considering how well Telltale nailed the art of The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 3 this would actually be a really cool collaboration.

Slythe

I love the Witcher series, but I am glad they're shifting focus to CP for the foreseeable future.

As long as we're on the topic of spinoff games: I have been removed from the genre for quite some time, but I must say a Witcher based RTS would be pretty awesome. Or even a Civ type game based in that universe. Maybe it wouldn't work, but it seems like the lore and factions of that universe are strong enough to support something like that.

Ciri is OP as shit.

Witcher: Origins, make-your-own-witcher (women included because they're not officially non-canon), choose a school to start from and work your way up the monster-huntin' ranks.

I definitely would want more freedom, and ideally a setting that isn't right before/after Geralt's stuff. Certainly there's plenty more to this world than just what we've seen.

I wouldn't mind another game in the world of the Witcher but I like the idea of Geralt and Co. being done with.

Some ideas:

An RPG set in the world of the Witcher but with a more grounded story. Like maybe you're a common footsoldier or spy for one of the nations in the Witcher. Monsters would be infinitely more powerful since you're just a human.

An RPG set in ancient antiquity. Rome, Egypt, Ancient Greece etc. would be dope. Dunno if it's in their wheel house though.

An spy RPG set during the waning days of the Cold War in Berlin. Set it in like 1987 or something, close enough. An RPG of this nature exists by the way, it's an obscure game called the Third Courier, released in the late 80's.

What I'd really like though?

CDPR's take on Mass Effect-esque universe. Imagine a hard sci-fi space opera RPG with the same dark edgey tone of the Witcher. Obsidian or CDPR would acceptable.

Truant

CDPR will release CP2077 on GOG and Steam without no announcement. It will be a huge event since no AAA have ever been released that way before, and it will be the best game ever.

boskee

would rather them focus on cyberpunk over another witcher

You seem to have missed this:

- They will be developing their second, unannounced AAA title concurrently with Cyberpunk 2077

They are building another team to work on their second, unannounced title while Cyberpunk 2077 is built by the already established team.

Ciri is OP as shit.

Yeah something like this would be ideal. Solves the problem of trying to further Geralt's story in some ham-fisted way, while still allowing them to explore the Witcher world further.

They'll make a deal with TellTale to make a episodic series based in The Witcher world.
I hope not.

[Scene]

[Group shot, a city burns in the background]

Geralt: "... This is why I try to never get involved with politics."
Zoltan: "How about game of Gwent, Geralt old pal?"
Dandelion: "I'm the great Dandelion, singer of songs, writer of tales and erstwhile companion of the legendary White Wolf!"
Triss: "It's not easy being a sorceress!"
Yennefer: "You're all idiots."

TITLE CARD

[End scene]

GrayDock

A spinoff with a young Vesemir playing the stories he tells to Geralt would be nice.

Geralt could appear as an apprentice in the last game.

I'd hate to see a character creator. Give me a defined character like Geralt and let me go on an incredible journey with him/her.

I think you lose a huge amount of what made The Witcher so good by making the protagonist a husk the player can inhabit.

Geralt having a rich history and a well-drawn personality of his own outside of the players control made him soooo good.

Hahahaha "We can't tell you about The Witcher 4 yet, there are gamers listening right now!!!"

Hehe, that does sound silly.

Although, "TW4 tacitly mentioned by CDPR at investor's conference" probably doesn't grab as many headlines or interest as "CDPR confirms TW4" is coming.

Ciri lead game. Don't have to call it number 4, just a spin off.

Maybe she can appear in Cyberpunk? I mean she
can travel through worlds after all

She straight up says She's been to a place where they use lasers and technology. I think a cameo will definitely happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cyberpunk footaged debued at E3 this year on Scorpio. CD Projekt have always been close to MS, despite seeing better sales this time on PS4.

Stranya

Ciri is OP as shit.

A big part of why I enjoyed the Witcher series is role playing an established character in Geralt; it made a nice change from the "create your hero" approach taken by Bethesda and Bioware.

Qwyjibo

With Geralt's story done with that trilogy, there is only one place to go with the next game:

The Witcher: Andromeda

Cyberpunk 2077 is in advanced development stage

0586_qvsx0.gif

Wagram

Ciri is OP as shit.

Witcher's strength relies on its characters. I don't really want to see a make your own character. They need a defined main character with a personality.

Makareu

Despite being in closed beta Gwent is already mentioned as a revenue stream. CCG are really something else.

Regarding TW4, I hope they will go with an established character rather than a blank one like suggested in this thread. I really loved playing someone tied to pretty much everyone else.

And finally, it is not the first time they suggest they will take a blitz approach on how they will release Cyberpunk2077. I hope they stick with that strategy, and that it becomes a trend in this industry.

So we're not seeing Cyberpunk till probably next summer/fall at the earliest.

I can totally see it popping its head out at Microsoft this year with more to come at the VGAs or even early next year just so MS can get the game associated with their new platform early.

Gwent will be the game CDPR is shopping around at every PAX and trade show and whatnot though.

Dmax3901

Your current valuation of 7 billion PLN is mostly thanks to the success of The Witcher series, don't you think that if you announced Witcher 4, your valuation would be 10 billion or more?

Kiciński shrugged, and said: The Witcher was designed as a trilogy. Trilogy cannot have a fourth part, however we like that world very much. We have invested 15 years of our lives and loads of money into it and we will probably think about it at some point. But please consider us as rational people, we sometimes have weird ideas, but overall our thinking is very rational. We have full rights to The Witcher games. They are ours. We have invested enormous funds into promoting it, and it's a very strong brand. Answer your own question :)

- But there are also shareholders...

- Sure, but there's also communication and that's a trouble, that we have talking to you guys. We have to be very careful with our words, because what we tell you is also heard by the gamers. Obviously plenty of you are gamers as well, but what we tell gamers is part of the marketing campaign, so we can't discuss certain things even though we know them already. We cannot reveal our full hand.

They're so down-to-earth. Imagine Nintendo talking like this about Metroid.

Top Bottom