• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maradona suing Konami for using his likeness without permission in PES 2017

jett

D-Member
I thought this was a fun bit of news. How did Konami think this was gonna fly?

There are several non-English sources, but this was the only that I could find in English:

http://segmentnext.com/2017/03/30/diego-armando-maradona-pes-2017/

Nowadays famous people treat their faces as logos. If someone wants to use them, then they have to pay. However, sometimes companies skip this phase, just like Konami did in PES 2017. The company, in fact, has put Diego Armando Maradona in the game without asking for his permission.

The former football player has heard people talking about the question, and now he’s about to sue Konami. This is what Diego Armando Maradona has stated on Facebook:

I heard yesterday that the Japanese company Konami uses my image for its game PES 2017. Unfortunately, my lawyer Matias Morla will initiate the corresponding legal actions. I hope this is not another scam…

Maradona-PES-17.jpg

Shane86

Why didn't they use a fake name like they usually do? He was called Malgani in previous games. Dumb move. I see other legends with real names there too.

Cess007

I thought "yeah, that looks like him, but used another generic name". Then saw the screenshot and it's his actual name there lol

Manu

Apparently Barcelona owns his likeness so they got him when they signed their deal with Konami. If that's the case, there's nothing he can do about it.

Shane86

Apparently Barcelona owns his likeness so they got him when they signed their deal with Konami. If that's the case, there's nothing he can do about it.

Ah that would explain why Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Stoichkov, Henry, Puyol and Lineker are there too

Effect

That was my first thought. I would assume Konami has a license to use the teams and that likely would include the likeness of the players.

If I was Maradona I'd be more upset that they picked the version of me when I was slightly chubby and my hair was a mess, over anything.

Drugs fried his brain years ago.

Fuck him, and I said this as an Argentinian, I hate the fact that he is an idol over here when he treated his unrecognized childrens like shit most of his life.

Edit: Also, we don't deserve that world cup, I will never be proud of a goal made with the hand, even if he also made the greatest goal ever on that same match, fuck that.

Daemul

The names listed here are all current or former Barcelona players.

Could it be possible that Barca own the rights to his likeness and that they have a deal with Konami for them to use it?

EDIT: Seems thats the case.

mavo

Banned
Man, Maradona played two years for Barcelona in the 80s.

Seems really weird to me that they still own his "likeness", how does that even works, specially his likeness over a videogame.

LAM09

That's precisely the reason he and many other players are in the game.

Lylo

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie...

C'mon Dieguito, don't believe in everything she says to you.

Koeman too.

Next question is why do Barca own these players' likenesses?

Man, Maradona played two years for Barcelona in the 80s.

Seems really weird to me that they still own his "likeness", how does that even works, specially his likeness over a videogame.

What, you thought they were just a football club?

It's not that uncommon, football teams have plenty of sponsors and commercial partners and those guys will often want to use the image/name of their players in their own adverts or corporate events or prevent their sponsor's rivals from using a player's image rights. (So Man City players won't turn up in an Emirates advert any time, nor Arsenal players in Etihad ads)

Players use image rights to get round taxes as well, I know in the UK many players won't own their own image rights but they'll set up a separate company that owns those rights. That way, instead of being taxed 45% like they are for their regular wages they only pay corporation tax of 20% for any money they earn from their image rights.

For huge players like Messi, when it's time to negotiate a contract extension and they go to Barcelona to ask for eleventy billion Euros a month, the club will sometimes ask for a slice of their image rights in return for a deal that is 85% wages and 15% being paid to the image rights company.

Haven't read much about that area of the law so I'm sure I've made a mistake or two in there but that's the gist of it.

TL;DR: It's all complicated tax avoidance bollocks

Top Bottom