• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain: Breath of the Wild FPS Performance Patch Comparison

Cerium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdGpEPy-K4

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild just got updated to version 1.11 for Nintendo Switch & Wii U, and word is that it fixes some of the game's framerate issues! But does it really? Find out in our head to head comparison that compares three locations, including the Korok Forest, Before and After the patch!

Okay so there are things talked about in here which also appeared quite prominently in the trailer. And some graphical effects you may not be familiar with? Honestly I think it's perfectly safe but if you're the type of person who is really sensitive about spoiler culture then you should probably avoid any footage of this game at all.

Kudo

Can someone just say whether or not there appears to be an improvement? I want to stay spoiler free.

Yes, it's not completely stable 30fps but biggest problem areas are lot more smoother. No FPS count in the video so we'll have to wait DF for that.

nubbe

I hope DF do a proper indeep analysis
equivalent exchange,man
Something need to be sacrificed for something to be gained.

Frostman

So overall there is an improvement, but there are definitely still drops.

Still would rather wait for some numbers from DF.

KHlover

Banned
Can't watch the vid on mobile, is the Korok Forest the supposed spoiler area or one of the other two?

(this post contains no info that's not in the OP)

MDave

Does it still go sub native res?

EDIT: Yep, in the area with the most slow down pre patch, it's still sub native and 20fps. Portable mode.

nubbe

None in the Great Plateau, from my experience.

could be grass density, fog density, shadow resolution, light complexity, object distance pop-in, geometry detail, geometry level of detail.

running in circles isn't a good way to determine what's happening on screen

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
could be grass density, fog density, shadow resolution, light complexity, object distance pop-in, geometry detail, geometry level of detail.

running in circles isn't a good way to determine what's happening on screen
Probably. Couldn't see any other difference than stable framerate while running.

Kudo

Unless I missed something I don't think I agree.

Are you talking about the forest location that was shown in the trailer?

Korok Forest itself isn't the spoiler as that's mentioned early in the game but
what's in there.

Alpha_eX

Did they check combat near the cannons on Death Mountain, flighting Moblins made the game actually freeze for a second, consistently.

Mokujin

A good improvement, version number being 1.1.1 seems like a minor patch so I would say there's a good chance they will polish it a bit more going forward.

I think the performance issues with this game were overblown - but an improvement is most welcome.

I haven't played in almost a week tho, mostly because the second I start playing, I'm glued, and that's my evening gone in a flash.

-shadow-

Already posted this in the other topic, but I'm curious of they might have replaced the double buffered v-sync with a triple buffered v-sync. That alone could fix a lot of the problems.

Zedark

That was a fairly useless video.
Why was there no fps counter?

Because not everyone has access to the software needed to do that? Honestly, you can just do the frame rate analysis yourself by using the "." key on your keyboard, which moves the video forward one frame, if you really want to know. Do this 30 times and count the number of unique frames the game produces, and you have your frames per second.

Mokujin

That was a fairly useless video.
Why was there no fps counter?

They dont have the tools, Digital Foundry will get a more technical analisys soon probably.

But the video is far from pointless as it's easy to spot that the patch helps in the problematic areas.

There are NO spoilers in this video if you have already watched the trailer.

Worth mentioning that the video has some major spoilers.

MtZ9N.gif

Pineconn

Did they check combat near the cannons on Death Mountain, flighting Moblins made the game actually freeze for a second, consistently.

For A second? In my 250 hours I've had Moblin ragdolls freeze my game for 5-6 seconds (with all game audio pausing during the hangup). Hopefully it gets sorted out eventually. It's such a bizarre thing.

Oh well. Phenomenal game, regardless.

Kanhir

The abilities gained by beating dungeons can be considered a spoiler.

Even the fact that
you get abilities from beating dungeons
is a spoiler. It's not something I knew going in, especially because all of the interviews/early reviews implied that
the abilities you get on the Plateau are all you get for the game

moozoom

It really doesn't.
I think there is.

I'm not a spoiler maniac, but I was happy to find by myself one the things that is casually mentioned in the video. To be clear :
I stumbled on the master sword by surprise, and it was a "wow" moment.

On topic, I'll try this later - glad to see they are patching things up.

Cerium

I think there is.

I'm not a spoiler maniac, but I was happy to find by myself one the things that is casually mentioned in the video. To be clear :
I stumbled on the master sword by surprise, and it was a "wow" moment.

That's nice, but it was literally shown in the trailer. GAF policy on what does and does not constitute a spoiler are very clear in this area.

Cday

Banned
That's nice, but it was literally shown in the trailer. GAF policy on what does and does not constitute a spoiler are very clear in this area.

What do you think is a spoiler in this game? Just cutscenes? There are barely any to spoil. This game's about locations and items/abilities and it spoils both kinds of things.

Airola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdGpEPy-K4

There are NO spoilers in this video if you have already watched the trailer.

I did not know there was
the Master Sword or at least its podium in the Korok Forest
even after seeing the trailer.

So, I consider that spoiled for me now.

EDIT:

I did not know it was
the Korok Forest
in the trailer.

Top Bottom