• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter PS2 Trilogy (and Jak X) coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics

FelipeMGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7Wm-zyOc8

Experience the incredible exploits of Jak and Daxter as the duo sets out to explore ancient lands while they try to unravel the mysteries of the Precursors. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II, Jak 3, and Jak X: Combat Racing will be available on PS4 via download on the PS Store later this year.

C8f0ztfWsAAcOsN.jpg:large

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/03/jak-and-daxter-ps2-classics-coming-to-ps4-later-this-year/

The dynamic duo is back!

We are delighted to announce that Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II, and Jak 3 will be available on PS4 via download at PS Store later this year! Longtime fans and new players alike can experience the incredible exploits of Jak and Daxter as the duo sets out to explore ancient lands and unravel the mysteries of the Precursors.

And we're not done... ready to get car-Jakked?

That's right! Jak X: Combat Racing, Naughty Dog's wild vehicular combat PS2 classic will be available for the first time anywhere since its release back in October 2005. Originally released for PS2, Jak X will make its way onto PS4 later this year. Play Adventure or Exhibition mode in this no-holds-barred buggy brawler for hours of challenge and fun. Although there will be no online features you can still battle against your friends via splitscreen.

Experience these Naughty Dog PS2 classics with 1080p up-rendering and Trophy support. Additional enhanced features include Shareplay, Remote Play, and Activity Feeds (an active PlayStation Plus membership is required to use certain online features).

We hope you are as excited as we are about these games — stay tuned for more news as we get closer to launch!

DKHF

Sweet, been wanting to play these games again. I haven't since the PS2 days (I didn't get the PS3 collection).

Undrey

WHOA I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING

I am semiokay with my PS4 being a PS2 machine. My most played games on it are PS2 games anyway.

black070

Ah come on, just port all the PS2 remasters and make them cross-buy like you did for the Vita.

I'll probably be in for the first one - the series best.

I'll gladly take this over a possible poorly made remaster any day! The HD boost that the emulator gives looks great and is a good enough of an upgrade for me!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Nice. I hope they fix some of the weird bugs in 2 like the lack of music during the credits. and random texture glitches on certain characters' faces during cutscenes.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Insta-buy. Take my money, Sony.

Snake Pass has me straight up moist for some more 3D platforming.

JB2448

WHOA I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING

image.php

Glad to see these games available to more people. They deserve to be played, especially the original and Jak 3 (sorry Jak II, I like you and all, but your difficulty and playability are all over the place compared to your predecessor and successor).

This is the first time Jak X has been made available since its 2005 release, right? Will online play be supported at all? Edit: Nope:
Bryan Pardilla said:
Originally released for PS2, Jak X will make its way onto PS4 later this year. Play Adventure or Exhibition mode in this no-holds-barred buggy brawler for hours of challenge and fun. Although there will be no online features you can still battle against your friends via splitscreen.

Wedzi

Banned
Yes! I was wondering why on earth these games were left off of PS Now. Can't wait to play them all again.

LewieP

Very interesting. I wonder what the hold up was. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first game releasing as PS2 on PS4 that also had a PS3 HD remaster.

On paper, the HD remasters on PS3 would perform and look better than these, but maybe Sony have been working on improving their emulator.

Or maybe they're just hoping no one will compare the two side by side.

I'd love for ICO & SOTC to make it to PS4, but only really worthwhile if it's an improvement on the already excellent PS3 version.

Nice but don't understand why they didn't port the PS3 collection...

I believe that the PS3 collection, as part of their "PS2 Classics HD" range were using some kind of process Sony had to convert PS2 games to PS3, with lots of games specific work, but excellent results. Not really emulation, but a streamlined porting process.

Whereas the PS2 on PS4 games are using a more general purpose emulation solution (with still some game specific work required), more in line with the PS2 Classics range on PSN.

I think they haven't and aren't going to make an updated version of the process they used for the Classics HD games on PS4.

Got the HD collection when it was on ps+ years ago so I'm good. Wish they'd focus on PS2 classics that they haven't already released remasters for.

I bought the PS2 version of Jak X recently since I never got to play it back in the day, but haven't even started it yet... Oh, well.

I know this isn't an HD remaster, but do PS2 games running on PS4 look better than on the PS2? I might double dip if that's the case. I also wonder if Jak X will support online multiplayer (cross-platform with the PS2 version, perhaps? Are the servers still on for that game?)...

I have all Jak games on PS3/Vita. Played Jak 1. Loved it. Jak 2 however? Loathe it.

I didn't bother playing Jak 3 because I have a feeling it's more Jak 2, then Jak 1.

Will buy this IF Jak 1 can be bought separately. Otherwise, no thanks.

Erasus

So, its emulating the PS2 games?
Wont the PS3 HD remaster still look better then?

Plus the Ratchet one is on PS3 too.
Just keep a PS3 hooked up with the games downloaded, its what I do

Vinc

Already platinumed those on PS3 so I'm good, but I'll get Jak X as I never played that one. I really, really hope this somehow means they're considering making another Jak game.

_Rob_

HOT DAMN! Not only do I now have an excuse to play through all of them again, but we finally get Jak X in HD! Incredible news, day 1!

These should be running at a higher native resolution than even the HD remasters (which were 720p). PS2 to PS4 ports usually run somewhere around 800p-900p. Awesome!

Especially looking forward to play Jak X again. It's been awhile.

Cyber6x

Neo Member
Yes! I've been waiting for Jak X to be remastered for ages!
Hopefully it has online, but probably not.

Jak 3 is my favourite, dark and light powers were really cool.

"This isn't a game!"
8ef00e6b02.png

Onaco

The only Naughty dog games I never played. Might buy it.
I'm 99% sure you don't realize there were games from Naughty Dog on Apple II, Sega Genesis and 3DO.

All we need is CTR and the PS4 will have every Sony Naughty Dog game. Here's to getting Way of the Warrior rights from Activision (?) and Rings of Power from EA.

Top Bottom