• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5's requirement players must agree to before playing is absolute nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I boot Persona 5 up and immediately upon starting a new game, it informs you the game is a work of fiction; that any resemblance to real life is purely coincidental. That's fine, I guess. It's nothing I haven't seen before. But then -- then -- it asks you to actually agree to the above garbage. It says "Only those who have agreed to the above have the privilege of partaking in this game." Of course I hit I do not agree. The game then completely mischaracterizes your answer by saying, "Everything that happens from here on is real..." No, that's not what I said. I said I don't agree everything in the game is purely a work of fiction. I find that incredibly hard to believe.

The narrator continues, "Then unfortunately I cannot allow you to partake in this game" and kicks me back to the title screen.

What? That is absolute nonsense. Why didn't the box have this disclaimer and requirement on it when I purchased it? Why wasn't there some sort of warning I had to agree to this unheard of requirement before I could play the game? Atlus was happy to take my money without first disclosing this mandatory agreement. Nowhere did I see it on the box or in any product descriptions. Between this ridiculousness and banning of streaming, totally absurd. I can't think of any other games that have this requirement. If they just put that disclaimer, fine. But to actually have the player select to agree before playing? That's over the top.

For those that automatically hit yes: http://twinfinite.net/2017/04/persona-5-agree-disagree-work-fiction/

Almost seems like it's for flavor, being that it's Igor's voice and all.

Let's keep the Persona 5 complaining on the stuff that matters, like the share features.

Jofamo

I boot Persona 5 up and immediately upon starting a new game, it informs you the game is a work of fiction; that any resemblance to real life is purely coincidental. That's fine, I guess. It's nothing I haven't seen before. But then -- then -- it asks you to actually agree to the above garbage. It says "Only those who have agreed to the above have the privilege of partaking in this game." Of course I hit I do not agree. The game then completely mischaracterizes your answer by saying, "Everything that happens from here on is real..." No, that's not what I said. I said I don't agree everything in the game is purely a work of fiction. I find that incredibly hard to believe.

The narrator continues, "Then unfortunately I cannot allow you to partake in this game" and kicks me back to the title screen.

What? That is absolute nonsense. Why didn't the box have this disclaimer and requirement on it when I purchased it? Why wasn't there some sort of warning I had to agree to this unheard of requirement before I could play the game? Atlus was happy to take my money without first disclosing this mandatory agreement. Nowhere did I see it on the box or in any product descriptions. Between this ridiculousness and banning of streaming, totally absurd. I can't think of any other games that have this requirement. If they just put that disclaimer, fine. But to actually have the player select to agree before playing? That's over the top.

For those that automatically hit yes: http://twinfinite.net/2017/04/persona-5-agree-disagree-work-fiction/

This is your first Persona game, right?

Kalor

The Persona games usually involve a contract of some sorts so this was just a way of doing something with the player.

broony

You want a warning on the box to say that the game is not real life and if you are not happy with that, to not purchase it?

Did you somehow expect the game to relate to and reflect real life events?

Do you call out movies too? I don't get your complaint, that...Persona isn't real?

193129082d46c5ecdb9fd1cf42632ba28752019bcb663b0c02b88a1b2f4e3d44.jpg

Kthulhu

Joke thread?

In Japan, depictions of real people in media are illegal. This is a way of showing that the characters and events are unrelated to events and people it is clearly referencing, and Atlus decided to have some fun with the disclaimer.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Persona games usually involve a contract of some sorts so this was just a way of doing something with the player.

I don't remember making this sort of contract when I played the previous ones. Not to agree to something so out there.

Patryn

I don't remember making this sort of contract when I played the previous ones. Not to agree to something so out there.

It's out there to agree that a game in which you go into other dimensions and fight demons/shadows is a work of fiction?

They tried to have some fun with the standard disclaimer and work it a bit into the narrative of the game. Those fuckers!

What sort of things do you envision would not be fictional in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom