• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

Jonboy

Nintendo will discontinue the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition and the last shipments will go out to retailers throughout this month.

A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

“Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.”

Additionally, a representative told IGN, “NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.” The company has no plans to produce more NES Classic systems for North America. This announcement includes the discontinuation of the NES Classic Controller. As for third party accessories, Nintendo said the decision whether or not to continue production of accessories will be up to each individual manufacturer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

georly

This is leaving money on the table. I still need to get one. Is it just not worth the effort for them?

Either this is a lead-up to the switch "Classics" coming soon or this is them preparing to monetize this stuff differently/better (classics line of products, nes mini 2, snes mini, etc) OR this is just nintendo being nintendo again.

This is leaving money on the table. I still need to get one. Is it just not worth the effort for them?

My theory is the Virtual Console will be using similar features and layout to the Classics, so keeping classics as a limited series with occasional reprints is probably what they wanted to do all along.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I actually managed to order one when Best Buy had them up a week or two back but I ended up cancelling it after a few hours when I had second thoughts.

Not really upset though, I managed to snap up a controller back in December that I happily use with my Wii U and that $60 I would have put into the NES Classic I'm putting into an AVS instead so I can actually use my existing cartridges and controllers.

lol wow, what the fuck are they doing

I bought one for 50 and ended up selling it for 90 and even then I felt like I was ripping them off

300$+ incoming

Zedark

As expected. It was always positioned to be a tide-over until the Switch launch, so it makes sense they would stop it now.

I'm honestly surprised that they produced them for this long! Scalpers rejoice!

For real though, I'm kind of bummed that I won't be able to get one. I had a few opportunities to do so, but I just knew I wouldn't actually play it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They gonna roll this thing out again when they have another 4-6 months without any new real games?

Then why are they discontinuing it now?

Seriously though this is baffling. If it wasn't making money they could have doubled the msrp and sold a ton of them. I really don't get this

I wonder if this suggests Virtual Console is coming soon to the Switch, and they don't want the store shelf comparisons between the NES Classic and $5 VC titles on Switch.

Top Bottom