• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dream Journals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently started keeping a dream journal so I can more properly comprehend their efervescent oddity.

This was my latest entry resulting from an afternoon nap:
Child sitting is disturbed by rash of bloody attacks on neighbors by very large wolves. The aftermath of one such attack is seen from a moving vehicle. Rushing home, the children set up a barricade while a white wolf stalks outside searching for points of entry. The entire time I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the thing. This wolf eventually breaks through and as panic takes hold it is revealed that this individual is friendly. Another faction of various beasts and demons is laying siege to the neighborhood with violent intent. I finally get a series of good pictures. More mythic defenders join the barricade (which moves from the house to a large pedestrian overpass) and a stalemate seems about to boil over. I move to give myself over to the attackers as an act of appeasement. As I break through the barrier, time stops. Observing the fearsome array of forces crystallized in the moment, other ethereal beings begin to move with me. These beings explain that in order to end the conflict with the antagonizing forces, I have to best their leader in a quiz about anime. After completing the first round I discover that (much to my frustration) my foe hasn't even started, so I cannot continue. Most everyone is still frozen.

Anybody else keeping a dream journal? Any crazy stories playing out in your head?

I do keep a dream journal. I have a dedicated folder on my Notes app for it. Unfortunately I add new entries immediately, and they're usually illegible or incoherent.
This one is mostly readable:
Sleepy Me said:
Suspicious guy with hands in his pocket at hotel. I knew he had a gun in his pocket. I wrestled him to the ground and took it.
Fake real gun
I took it. I was calm.
I told the old guy who was about to use it on someone to stay it [sic] a bathroom.
Hotel employee say [sic] me with it. I said it was a decoy cause it had an orange tip. She noticed it was metal, and I said calmly. Yeah, it's really nice. High quality. I even let her hold it. Erasing any doubts.
So by "fake real gun", I think I meant that this guy had a real gun and disguised it as a fake by painting the tip orange?

I try to write as many dreams down as I can. After having them I think to myself, "Oh! That's a really cool idea I could use that for a story, or something." But after I have a day or two to reflect on it, I realize it was dumb shit and didn't make any sense.
However! I've been trying to illustrate some of my dreams recently. I find that the visual artistic value of my dreams is much higher than the literary value. I don't have anything on hand to share though...

AudioNoir

Banned
I keep revisiting the same mall, looking for Japanese snack foods at this kiosk shaped like a covered wagon. Sometimes certain shops are closed, or the whole mall is closed and I'm just there looking for an open store.

I've had the mall dream at least once a month for the last ... year? It's been a while. I'm at the point now where I understand in the dream that I'm having "the mall dream".

So yep! I do keep a journal. Love going back to look at this weirdo shit.

I almost never remember my dreams, maybe like a couple times a year. Just lay down -> wake up. :/

although once I slept for 10 minutes and remember having a long, intricate dream that started with my father being frustrated and disinterested with me and after a long chain of events ended up with us sitting on the floor of a random hallway just talking about life and sharing jokes, having a good time. The dream felt like it lasted a whole day and although I felt good in the dream, I woke up in tears.

That's probably one of my more interesting dreams.

Hotel employee say [sic] me with it. I said it was a decoy cause it had an orange tip. She noticed it was metal, and I said calmly. Yeah, it's really nice. High quality. I even let her hold it. Erasing any doubts.
I laughed at this bit.

I find that it's much easier to remember dreams from naps rather than after a full night of sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom