• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry + GTX1080ti SLI vs 8K

Caayn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjdWcnPWtE
Edit: Article is up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-lets-play-pc-gaming-at-8k-resolution

Battlefield 1 (medium - high - ultra): 30fps ~ 60fps
CoD IW (normal - high - ultra): 30fps (Single GPU)
Crysis 3 (high - very high): 30fps ~ 60fps
Forza Horizon 3 (high - ultra): ~30fps (Single GPU)
MGSV (high - extra high): 10fps ~ 60fps
ROTR (high): ~30fps

For reference:
8k = 16x 1080p said:
naamloos1080ytylk.png
8k = 4x 4K said:

Raide

Holy crape Forza is a good looking game. Bodes well for Scorpio but seeing those 8k numbers is bankers overkill. 😆

It's strange how far we've come in a single generation. The jump from the 980ti to the 1080 was insane. Two or three years ago I would've said you're out of your mind if it were implied 4K/60 would be achievable on a single $500-$600 card.... And now it's looking like Volta will be achieving that at the $300-400 level next year.

How far do you reckon we are from 8K/60 on a single GPU that isn't $2000?

Ill wait for 16K.
Screw 16K I'll wait for 16K 32:9
m-samsung329.jpg

Branduil

8K seems entirely excessive to me, outside of VR. But by the time we have 8K VR screens we'll also have foveated rendering to dramatically reduce the performance costs, so it's not like rendering an entire 8K screen will be necessary in that case.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm more impressed that they managed to get Forza Horizon 3 running without obnoxious stuttering.

8K seems entirely excessive to me, outside of VR. But by the time we have 8K VR screens we'll also have foveated rendering to dramatically reduce the performance costs, so it's not like rendering an entire 8K screen will be necessary in that case.

Yeah, I don't think 8K will ever be mainstream. Diminishing returns and all that.

sirap

By the time we have consumer-grade tech capable of powering 8K displays...television manufacturers will probably opt for wider aspect ratios than 16:9.

More pixels packed into the same size just won't cut it. There's an appreciable difference going from 1080p to 4K but beyond that? I just don't know.

Jodast

so how many 2DS screens is 8k?
If my math is correct, ignoring aspect ratio differences it should be 324 top screens.

About ~368 top 2DS screens or ~460 times the lower screen.

2DS top -> 400x240 -> 96.000 pixels.
2DS bottom -> 320x240 -> 76.800 pixels.
8K -> 7680x4320 -> 33.177.600 pixels <---> ~345x 2DS top or ~432x 2DS bottom
8K used in this video -> 8192x4320 -> 35.389.440 pixels <---> ~386x 2DS top or ~460x 2DS bottom
I was just wondering how we had such different numbers but yeah, makes sense when you account for the aspect difference and the higher 8K resolution lol.

Caayn

so how many 2DS screens is 8k?
About ~368 top 2DS screens or ~460 times the lower screen.

2DS top -> 400x240 -> 96.000 pixels.
2DS bottom -> 320x240 -> 76.800 pixels.
8K -> 7680x4320 -> 33.177.600 pixels <---> ~345x 2DS top or ~432x 2DS bottom
8K used in this video -> 8192x4320 -> 35.389.440 pixels <---> ~386x 2DS top or ~460x 2DS bottom

It really shows how ridiculously powerful modern PC hardware is, 8K is four times 4K or 16x 1080p.

Although it may take another 2 or 3 GPU generations for 8K to become a more feasible option with a single GPU.

Momentary

Banned
The architecture after Volta will definitely be making 4K commonplace for PC gaming. By that time mid-enthusiast to top-enthusiast hardware will do 4K@120 without any issues. That will probably be around 2020.

Mercador

I wonder if we're&#8203; gonna see over 8k. Over 8k, I read that the eye won't see the difference. 8k VR will be nice !

PFD

It's strange how far we've come in a single generation. The jump from the 980ti to the 1080 was insane. Two or three years ago I would've said you're out of your mind if it were implied 4K/60 would be achievable on a single $500-$600 card.... And now it's looking like Volta will be achieving that at the $300-400 level next year.

How far do you reckon we are from 8K/60 on a single GPU that isn't $2000?

Screw 16K I'll wait for 16K 32:9
m-samsung329.jpg

980Ti to 1080 is like 20% increase. 980Ti stock was vastly undeclocked at 1Ghz, the card can do 1450mhz easy

Really interesting to see. Personally, I put a much higher priority on high framerate so I didn't feel comfortable even moving to 1440p until I had SLI 980tis. Grew to despise the terrible support for SLI as time went on and replaced them with a single 1080ti which is perfect for 144hz 1440p. I don't know when I'll feel comfortable getting a 4K display, probably when 8K displays are more readily available and people are playing games at that resolution at 30 fps on a single card. I know I will never be returning to SLI, though.

elelunicy

Over 8k, I read that the eye won't see the difference.

That might be the case for screen resolution. In terms of rendering resolution there will always be benefits of going over 8k. Especially in games where LOD is tied to pixel size.

For instance, here are two of the same shot of GRW, one downsampled from 8k and one downsampled from 64k. The difference is massive.

8k vs 64k

That might be the case for screen resolution. In terms of rendering resolution there will always be benefits of going over 8k. Especially in games where LOD is tied to pixel size.

For instance, here are two of the same shot of GRW, one downsampled from 8k and one downsampled from 64k. The difference is massive.

8k vs 64k

By that comparison you must think your wizards sleeve is also massive.

low-G

I wonder if we're&#8203; gonna see over 8k. Over 8k, I read that the eye won't see the difference. 8k VR will be nice !

On a screen true, but for VR, we will need to equivalent of 16k MANY times over per every little area the eyes can focus on (retina = ~10,000 x 10,000, which is about 3x 8k, and that's just for the tiny area the eyes focus on).

So, you'll need a display that is maybe 10,000k (many magnitude greater than 8k).

Now, on the graphics side you can enable good foveated rendering at 200fps, but realize that even at 10,000k that's NO anti aliasing. Although you're not likely to see any aliasing at 10,000k and 200fps because of the small eye movements.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Man the IQ in Forza was insane.

Seriously can't wait to see, how far Volta pushes us forward.

People who have seen 8K in large format say that it's virtually indistinguishable from real life. In some cases, it even caused them to think someone was staring at them and gave an uneasy feeling.

laxu

I'm kinda interested how 8K checkerboard would look. If 4K checkerboard can often look almost as good as the real thing, then I wonder if the same holds true for 8K checkerboard.

Still, pretty impressive if top end hardware can manage 8K 30 fps in new titles already.

Well this test now it seems a bit silly if you consider the cost for 2 x 1080Ti and a native 8K monitor but no so much in a few months time when we will probably have the same GPU performance at half the price. If the trends continue the Nvidia 2070 (or whatever they call it) will have the same performance with a 1080Ti at half the price. Or even the AMD Vega also.

So the cost for the first step at 8K gaming in a few months with 2 x Nvidia 2070 (or 2 x AMD Vega) with downsampling at a 4K monitor that some already own doesn't look so silly.

And some games, like the Forza, doesn't even need two GPUs.

I will definitely consider it as I prefer high resolutions from very high fps.

CariusD

Even watching the 8k downsampled to 4k in a 1080p video things like foliage and the wires are still really sharp.

Philippo

The architecture after Volta will definitely be making 4K commonplace for PC gaming. By that time mid-enthusiast to top-enthusiast hardware will do 4K@120 without any issues. That will probably be around 2020.

I hope this means 4k/60fps will be a doable target for next gen consoles.

Damn youtube quality sucks.

DSR is awesome, even on 1080p or 1440p displays the difference when you downsample is huge.

I'm playing Horizon 3 at 2880p and it's really great looking (and runs great too).

And if you have a high refresh display with gsync it's even more worth it.

Top Bottom