• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe first week outsells Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 7

Zedark

Edit: I have seen some confusion, so I will clarify here: This means that MK8D's first calender week sales exceed the first calendar week sales of MK8 and MK7 separately.

A follow-up from yesterday's UK sales results. This is sourced from twitter, but it comes from a reliable journalist who wrote yesterday's report, so I think it is threadworthy. Mods please close if my judgment was off.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/858974660574269440

Christopher Dring said:
Bigger week one than Mario Kart 8 and 7. Very impressive.

Pretty impressive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/858975448801398785

Christopher Dring said:
Exactly. Not quite Mario Kart Wii's 206,000 week one :)

Slay Queens!!

mariah-champs.gif

butzopower

proud of his butz
American in the U.K. and bought off US eShop. Assuming my sale had no part in this?

So this is the power of an expandd port.

The power of MK, though to be fair it's the first MK I've bought since DS and I absolutely would buy many WiiU ports.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Some people thought Nintendo couldn't charge full price for this release... lol.

Ashtar

Wow that's big!
Edit: I thought Mario kart 7 was on wii my bad that's not as big but 200,000 in a week is nothing to scoff at given they don't count digital I don't think

I thought we knew this from yesterday? It's the biggest Mario game in the U.K. Since 08

No, it was the first Mario game to chart first, which doesn't say anything about it's total sales (more about the competition it had).

To clarify, it was possible that simply competing with Watch_Dogs back in 2014 meant that MK8 had to take second place, but that due to a higher install base, it would still be ahead of any Switch release today.

Turns out, not the case. Mario Kart racing to the top of the charts around the world.

Oregano

Remember how Iwata talked about young adults having nostalgia for stuff they experienced as kids ten years previously(in reference to ORAS)?

Guess what was happening ten years ago...

Remember how Iwata talked about young adults having nostalgia for stuff they experienced as kids ten years previously(in reference to ORAS)?

This is why I think they should have included Block Fort, it's the most nostalgic Battle Mode arena for sure.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
To be honest,
it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games outsell their predecessors so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

Oersted

I'm seriously starting to entertain the thought that this might be the next "Wii". Holy shit.

The prerelease hype was for Switch clearly not as big as for Wii, but I think its portable nature will increase the wom in unprecendented ways. Gonna be interesting.

People with MK8 who are skipping this game: don't! Trust me, the portability and two player anywhere you go plus the amazing battle mode is worth every penny. This is the best kart racer ever as far as local multiplayer is concerned!

Especially when you factor in how a lot of people simply missed the Wii U in general. So for many, it'll have been about 9 years since they've had a 'new' Mario Kart (at least on consoles) to play with. In this case it's a gorgeous upgrade that's already plenty acclaimed and creeps ever closer to just straight up being 'Nintendo Kart'. That's a plenty appealing package if marketed right, and it has been.

To be honest,
it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games outsell their predecessors so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

This is becoming a beautiful meme, I love it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder if Nintendo will even want to make a MK9 for Switch at this point?

I think MK8D will be it for this generation. It will keep on selling the entre gen like the rest of Mario Karts and it frees up their terms to create new IP's attarct new userbases.

Especially when you factor in how a lot of people simply missed the Wii U in general. So for many, it'll have been about 9 years since they've had a 'new' Mario Kart (at least on consoles) to play with. In this case it's a gorgeous upgrade that's already plenty acclaimed and creeps ever closer to just straight up being 'Nintendo Kart'. That's a plenty appealing package if marketed right, and it has been.

I feel like this should be what's next for the series, even if it is called Mario Kart 9. There's a lot of potential for characters, but tracks especially, and I feel like they've got as much as they could have out of Mario-specific characters and tracks.

MLH

Very impressive for a port of a previous MK title. I honestly thought it would do okay but not blow up like it has. I know the Wii U version did really well considering its console base (and I remember that Polygon speculation with the ridiculous 'pie chart')
Since I already own MK8 on WiiU, I haven't bothered picking this up on Switch - I figured most people interested would've already played it or forgotten and moved on - guess I was wrong.
It'd be interesting to know what Nintendo's own expectations of the game are. Also interested in knowing how the 3DS base at MK7 launch compared to Switch base at MK8 launch - Attachment rates on Switch seems really high.

Splatoon 2 will probably do really well also - lots of positive impressions and hype from Wii U players but not a lot of people owned a Wii U - so it'll be a lot like MK8. Though I'll be picking that up day one since it's actually new!

Top Bottom