• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Video game companies are not your friends

iMax

I never thought I’d feel intense fanboy-ism for a bottle of ketchup and yet here we are.

Remember, brands are not your friends.

It's a funny comparison, notwithstanding the obvious difference that ketchup is a low price, fast-moving consumable good... whilst game consoles are high value consumer electronics products with long-term platform lock-in.

Whilst I can understand why people personify these products, especially after significant financial outlay and long-term investment, it's strange you don't really see the same thing in other consumer areas, at least not to the same intense degree.

Sauce Source

But Kimishima took me out to dinner... ;_;

Lol But, yeah, some of the devotion people have is kinda nuts but it's not uncommon in other areas of entertainment either, like with the popular shows, movies, books, etc.

Ban Puncher

Neither are video game blogs.

5XJEpqv.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

mario_O

Prefering one brand over another doesn't mean that you think they're your friends --you just value their work more. That said, extreme fanboyism and console warriors are ridiculous. :p

Hyun Sai

Many here are important shareholders of those companies though, or the console war wouldn't exist on Neogaf.

Right ?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

What's up with this new movement online of feeling the need to call out companies for not actually caring/being your friend/etc? No shit dude, everyone knows. Also your waiter couldn't give less of a shit if you like your food and the cashier at the grocery store doesn't actually care if you have a nice day, oh the horror of these large companies playing with our hearts!

shandy706

Sports teams are not your friends

When I actually know players personally they are.

I suppose one could personally know a game developer/company head too. Haha

Seriously though, this is why I tend to buy hardware from all of the big 3. If they make good games, I'll show up. I have no brand loyalty purchase wise.

Top Bottom