• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Single Player Board/Card Games that play like TCGs/CCGs

So I've got the itch to play a good TCG/CCG game but don't want to buy boosters, money sink, etc. I also don't always have people to play and know single player card games exist.

I recently learned of Fantasy Flight's branded LCGs and other possible expandable board games.

mec01-box-left.png

I looked at the Lord of the Rings starter, and for roughly $45 it seems like a good deal, but I was wondering what card based games that have a single player component like this are recommended by GAFers?

Arkham Horror LCG plays similarly.

Also Friday is a solitaire deck building game. No expansions and runs for about $20.

Clearos

Space hulk: Death Angel

solo play works well. I did this a few times at pax when my friends were at a panel.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know if this an option, but I have been VERY impressed with Millennium Blades (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1936920573/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and its Set Rotation expansion (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1936920581/?tag=neogaf0e-20).

It's a TCG/CCG simulator. There are a crapton of cards, on the order of 1000+, and there are two phases that repeat 3 times in a game, or 1 time if you're doing a singleplayer / co-op boss deck.

First, you do a deckbuilding phase. Everyone has stacks of bound-together bills they throw around like drug money to buy card "packs" off the shop. You try to make themed collections for points while simultaneously attempting to build broken combos. Then, you do a tournament phase where everyone does a simple tournament game (you typically have 8 cards + 1 deck box + 2 accessories, and you play 6 cards in order).

There are also 2-3 variants, and each game can be different because you shuffle a bunch of expansion cards into the store. The art can be iffy, but there are lot of parodies that are pretty funny if you're at all into any sort of CCG, anime, videogames, etc.

*edit* For what it's worth, the multiplayer mode is probably BETTER than the singleplayer version if you have 2-5 players. However, it's at least possible to do singleplayer deckbuilding against the various bosses. If you'll only play it singleplayer than the other suggestions above are probably better. On the bright side you won't need booster packs etc.

Karkador

Banned
So I've got the itch to play a good TCG/CCG game but don't want to buy boosters, money sink, etc. I also don't always have people to play and know single player card games exist.

I recently learned of Fantasy Flight's branded LCGs and other possible expandable board games.

mec01-box-left.png

I looked at the Lord of the Rings starter, and for roughly $45 it seems like a good deal, but I was wondering what card based games that have a single player component like this are recommended by GAFers?

If you're looking for something that has both a single player component AND has you build decks and think about card synergies and stuff, that LOTR game is probably your best bet (and if you happen to be a fan, it's got a lot there). There is also a Lovecraft version of the game available, though that just recently launched, so there isn't as much content yet.

maven

I prefer the Arkham LCG to LotR. There are heaps of reviews and videos around to compare them if you're interested (just be a little careful with arkham vids - they can contains spoilers).

I feel like LotR is more focused on deck building, and tailoring your deck for each encounter. Probably a more traditional card game experience. Arkham is kinda like an rpg-lite story driven game, where you can use the same deck (which can "level up") throughout a campaign made up of multiple scenarios. Depends on what floats your boat.

I prefer the Arkham LCG to LotR. There are heaps of reviews and videos around to compare them if you're interested (just be a little careful with arkham vids - they can contains spoilers).

I feel like LotR is more focused on deck building, and tailoring your deck for each encounter. Probably a more traditional card game experience. Arkham is kinda like an rpg-lite story driven game, where you can use the same deck (which can "level up") throughout a campaign made up of multiple scenarios. Depends on what floats your boat.

Yeah I really love the Arkham Horror LCG because it's so thematic.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm not into LCGs but there were a LOT of smart people with good taste playing that new Arkham LCG at BGG Con last year and it definitely caught my interest.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Space hulk: Death Angel

solo play works well. I did this a few times at pax when my friends were at a panel.

Yep Arkham LCG is probably my top game right now but I totally forgot about this -- also an amazing solo experience though I guess it's not really much of a ccg/lcg (but it does have a few interesting expansions).

Belfast

If you're looking for something that has both a single player component AND has you build decks and think about card synergies and stuff, that LOTR game is probably your best bet (and if you happen to be a fan, it's got a lot there). There is also a Lovecraft version of the game available, though that just recently launched, so there isn't as much content yet.

Wouldn't really call it a "version" of LOTR since there isn't much in common beyond both being LCGs by the same company.

That said, Arkham can be tough to solo, but it is certainly built better for solo play than most other games (which require you to play more than one character or set up a dummy player of some sort to compensate).

It is thematically very interesting and considering how popular it is right now, content will be coming for a very long time. But even though they aren't collectible, LCGs are still somewhat of an investment. Fantasy Flight's games tend to come out with new content monthly which can cost typically between $15-30 (outside of the original game box which is usually a bit more), and many of those expansions, especially in the case of Arkham, are interdependent.

But it's one of my favorite games right now, and it is overall cheaper than going hardcore into CCGs. Also, it is a co-op game, so when you aren't playing solo, it should be easier to get friends to play since they wont feel indimidated by playing against an experienced player.

The only other issue is that because of its popularity, it can be a little difficult to find all of the current content right now. But more reprints will certainly be coming.

LotR is quite popular with my wife and I. It's got quite a few sets out now, so it should take you a while to get through them all before catching up to the latest stuff. Arkham plays similarly, but does have a number key differences. It's also new and hasn't had time to come out with a lot of stuff.

One thing for both though, is to have full deck building options, you'll probably want 2 core sets. You don't need to get 2 core sets, but if you want more options when it comes to making your initial decks, it'll help. If it's one gripe I have with Fantasy Flights LCG lines is that the core sets do not come with all the cards you need to build the exact deck you want. However, you don't have that problem with any of the expansions. It is the one thing I really like about the LCGs, I buy the expansion, and it has everything. No buying a booster box and still not having a complete set to play with.

When playing solo, you might also try out playing two handed. Basically make two decks and play both as if you were two different people.

I'll also recommend you try checking out Sentinels of the Multiverse. Now, it doesn't have any deck construction elements to it. Instead you have different heroes, each with their own deck. You put together a team of heroes and go after the big bad. You can play by yourself, going two, three, four, or five handed, or play with friends. Has quite a few expansions out, so lots of hero combinations.

In a similar vein, you might check out Marvel Legendary. It's a deck builder, but designed so it's you vs the game. And while you can play it competitively against your fellow player, you can also just work on beating the villain together instead. It's got quite a few expansions, so once again, lots of heroes to mix and match, and lots of Villains to fight against.

Next up is Pathfinder Adventures. Pick your hero, build a deck based on what kind of cards can be included and go questing. As you quest, get more powerful versions of the cards and slowly level up the character. Now the decks tend to be super small, expect 12 to 15 cards at the start, and some classes have restrictions on what they can use, so sometimes you've got limited options on what you can go with in your deck. But once again you can play this solo or with friends.

I've also seen Mage Knight: The Board Game recommended to folks looking for something like LotR LCG, but I've not played that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Keep in mind that Sentinels, Legendary, and Pathfinder are not LCGs. So if you're really looking for a game where you can pour over the cards and look for combos and build a deck just how you want it, then these aren't going to scratch that itch. But they're the closest I can think of that isn't Arkham.

Xero

can go with in your deck. But once again you can play this solo or with friends.

I've also seen Mage Knight: The Board Game recommended to folks looking for something like LotR LCG, but I've not played that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

mage knight is nothing like LoTr LCG. It has deck building elements like legendary, but its FAR more in depth and has much more to it.. Best analogy I can think of is its like heroes of might and magic 3 the board game. Takes about 4 hours to play.

wanders

Id recommend looking into dead CCG games. You still get that satisfaction of opening up a booster but instead its $10/box than $5/booster.

Haeleos

You can't go wrong with either Arkham Horror or Lord of the Rings LCGs. It just depends whether you're a bigger fan of Tolkien or Lovecraft.

Keasar

I recommend checking out the boardgame thread people have posted already.

But yes, Arkham Horror the Card Game from Fantasy Flight is excellent.

Thanks for the input. I'll check Arkham but I'm not a Lovecraftian or horror type, but I do love me some Lord of the Rings.

I'm mostly curios now about the non-fantasy flight games :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for the input. I'll check Arkham but I'm not a Lovecraftian or horror type, but I do love me some Lord of the Rings.

I'm mostly curios now about the non-fantasy flight games :p

Honestly fair warning you asked about solo LCG/CCGs which FFG pretty much created, owns, and maintains that space. Most anything outside of FFG titles will frankly not quite hit the mark in terms of what you asked for.

Top Bottom