• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dev talk - How Epic got in touch with Nintendo, future updates details, more

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...nship-and-bringing-unreal-engine-4-to-switch/

The lecture began with the reasons as to why Unreal Engine hadn’t been formally supported on Nintendo platforms until recently from the viewpoints of both Epic and Nintendo. Epic’s Kawasaki started by saying that there was a mismatch in timing. Epic couldn’t negotiate directly with Nintendo until they established Epic Games Japan in 2009, and the Wii U was released just when Epic was ending support for Unreal Engine 3. Epic had always wanted to support Nintendo consoles, and that desire is finally realized with Switch. The company had been provided with development materials from Nintendo since it was still in development under the NX code name.

During the talk, Kawasaki put out a comment, wondering if Nintendo had a chance in heart given how it had been announced that Switch supports various middleware and tools from an early phase. In response, Mitsuyoshi explained that past Nintendo consoles used to be comprised of hardware with unique architecture, so they had to provide their own tools to developers. Switch, on the contrary, uses PC architecture, which makes it match up well with middleware and game engines. That means the Switch is more open when compared to Nintendo’s past consoles as well.

The free / EULA version is currently undergoing final adjustments from both Nintendo and Epic Games, and is planned to be supported in version 4.16 (to be released around mid-May). However, support for Switch will be only provided to those who have completed registration for Nintendo Switch Developer.

In the next segment, a developer going by the name Shinoyama and Fukushima showed a vehicle game demo for Switch made with the aforementioned dev kit that’s priced under 50,000 yen. Shinoyama said that in order for it to be playable on Switch, developers only need to push a button. Although performance adjustments and optimizations are still required after this, the basic pace of porting is simple with just one button.

More at the link

Port me with adjustments if old.

I/m really interested in what happens regarding this moving forward. From my experiences as a gamer Unreal Engine 4 has struck me as the better engine for ports and scalibility compared to its rivals. Used to be that i'd route for Unity due to the low barrier of entry for indies, but now Epic have solvwed that issue I tend to dread hearing an advanced game is on unity.

J@hranimo

Banned
So the Switch export button is real? :p

Interesting insight. Really looking forward to these games for the Switch and they perform.

LewieP

Can someone find that video of Mark Rein laughing at being asked if Unreal Engine was going to be supporting a Nintendo platform? (Maybe 3ds)

It's a lot harder to coordinate business meetings with a foreign entity if you have not established an office in the same country. You can't just contact NCL through Nintendo of America or Europe to discuss your engine working on their hardware without significant bureaucratical delay.

I wonder when these UE4 games are actually going to materialise...

E3 seems like the earliest opportunity. Given how they're stressing this point of Switch's viability with commonly used game engines, I'd wonder if they'd dedicate a portion of the show to, well, showing off what games run on UE4 and are coming to Switch. A little display to assure devs that yes, their games can run on the new platform.

I wonder when these UE4 games are actually going to materialise...

Yeah they're taking their sweet time... Maybe UE4 implementation wasn't fully ready for launch and it has been since only recently? Snake pass was a smaller game that didn't need so much time? dunno...

Fredrik

Switch, on the contrary, uses PC architecture
isn't it closer to a mobile phone than a PC? I mean it's not like Nintendo could go for a beefy x86 PC-like console next generation with a nvidia GPU and easily have backwards-compatibility, right?

isn't it closer to a mobile phone than a PC? I mean it's not like Nintendo could go for a beefy x86 PC-like console next generation with a nvidia GPU and easily have backwards-compatibility, right?

That's not how architecture works. It's the framework, not power. There's a reason why the PS4 can't play PS1 games and it's definitely not because it doesn't have the power.

Epic couldn’t negotiate directly with Nintendo until they established Epic Games Japan in 2009, and the Wii U was released just when Epic was ending support for Unreal Engine 3.

Weird when PS3 had support years earlier.

hemo memo

It's a lot harder to coordinate business meetings with a foreign entity if you have not established an office in the same country. You can't just contact NCL through Nintendo of America or Europe to discuss your engine working on their hardware without significant bureaucratical delay.

This is true.

And yes I'm an expert.
kinda

Skyzard

Banned
Not entirely. Yes there is an 'export to Switch' option, but porting in general is also not as simple as that.

Sure, I don't imagine anyone thought there wouldn't be tweaking involved.

I'm counting it :p

You're kidding, right?

A lot of people think this... unfortunately. One of the reasons they believe UE is the best engine. Kinda takes away the hard work of devs killing themselves to figure how to get the simplest of things up and running on different systems

It all comes down to tools and how they've set those tools up. Even so, there is no magic button. It takes a lot of time and effort to port games from one system to another.

Rodin

Vindicated.

btw Snake Pass was UE4, not super hot on Switch, though quite demanding on other consoles too.
Sounds like you answered yourself. The fact that the console can run such an intensive game, even with a few compromises in terms of resolution and a couple of effects turned down, is a good signal, not a bad one.

I mean the game is graphically intensive as fuck, it's insane really. Check out it's benchmarks on a 1080 GTX.
And yet we have people categorically saying that Switch can't run this and that lol.

Skyzard

Banned
Snake Pass was graphically intensive, especially with all that grass (which varied between consoles) but there wasn't exactly a lot going on for CPU stuff. It was pretty much just a snake and and some platforms, some of them moved.

Cutting out 40% of the resolution and toning things down can help for some games, but I'm not sure games with more cpu calculations would fare as well. Though maybe there was heavy snake body simulation physics behind the scenes ;)

Snake Pass was graphically intensive, especially with all that grass (which varied between consoles) but there wasn't exactly a lot going on for CPU stuff. It was pretty much just a snake and and some platforms, some of them moved.

Cutting out 40% of the resolution and toning things down can help for some games, but I'm not sure games with more cpu calculations would fare as well.

Were you one of the developers of Snake Pass?

Air

Banned

Cutting out 40% of the resolution and toning things down can help for some games, but I'm not sure games with more cpu calculations would fare as well. Though maybe there was heavy snake body simulation physics behind the scenes ;)

Wasn't the digital foundry analysis that it was a very CPU intensive game because of all of the physics calculations of the snake and enviornment? Which is why even a lot of more powerful hardware struggled to run it a bit?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It sounds like it should be easier this time developing for Nintendo.

Switch fares better CPU wise in comparison to ps4 than it does GPU wise

Rodin

Though maybe there was heavy snake body simulation physics behind the scenes ;)
Yeah there was according to DF, if for some reason your eyes didn't suggest you anything after seeing how the snake moves and reacts to various surfaces/platforms.

Plum

Cutting out 40% of the resolution and toning things down can help for some games, but I'm not sure games with more cpu calculations would fare as well.

You say "just a snake and some platforms," but that snake is actually an incredibly complicated set of physics calculations. It's not like, say, Mario who is essentially just a set of animations laid upon a 3D model, the entire thing has to be handled by the CPU on-the-fly along with taking into account friction, weight, etc. This Digital Foundry video explains it in a bit more depth.

I'm not implying that I know for certain what the Switch is capable of, but Snake Pass isn't as undemanding as many think it is; it's why even the PS4 Pro couldn't handle it at 60fps.

Oregano

E3 seems like the earliest opportunity. Given how they're stressing this point of Switch's viability with commonly used game engines, I'd wonder if they'd dedicate a portion of the show to, well, showing off what games run on UE4 and are coming to Switch. A little display to assure devs that yes, their games can run on the new platform.

Well Epic Japan has at least twice hyped up Japanese UE4 games for Switch but so far we only know about SMT4(and presumably DQXI).

Yeah they're taking their sweet time... Maybe UE4 implementation wasn't fully ready for launch and it has been since only recently? Snake pass was a smaller game that didn't need so much time? dunno...

That was definitely the case but we're seeing some games announced for 2018 that are probably skipping Switch.(talking Code Vein, they're being coy with platforms)

I think some people seem to dismiss snake pass on a technical level as they just think "indie game" instead of realising it was made by a developer that normally works on games for major publishers

Top Bottom