• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Official Trailer

Is the abandoned city supposed to be the city from the original Blade Runner? Some of the interiors look a bit art deco-y there.

RoyalFool

Banned
Not a fan of the trailer.

Giant holograms everywhere etc seem like a cliched vision of the future, the originals was so stylistic as it showed an incredible future, but one past it's prime. Worried this is just going to go for anything that looks artsy and ditch tech-noir. I want some old school fucking curved CRT screens and things that make clicking noises!

That 'change the fate of the world' shit can fuck right off, the original film was a small slice of life about a guy doing a dangerous job in a world going to shit, I felt like his story was just a very small glimpse into a very big future. They don't need to raise the stakes to make it a better film.

"Let me ask you a few questions" to Deckard was good though, I'll give it that.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
As someone who has never seen the first one, what did this trailer do for you? How did it make you feel?

I was confused and didnt know what was going on, I have a feeling the first one will give me what i need to comprehend what i am seing in the new one, esp with fords character

I was confused and didnt know what was going on, I have a feeling the first one will give me what i need to comprehend what i am seeing in the new one, esp with fords character

Did it peak your interest stylistically? Did it make you want to see it?

Your opinion is important for the success of this film, because its been so many years since the original.

Ran rp

figure+5.04.jpg

capture22vlti.png

217_3_1080p.jpg

capture3uai4.png

86bcaa3e4a91c55b8748a4a0f811b933.jpg

Va8Oa87.png

38cea90c3db675ab5aeeffb447981a48.jpg

QQSUfFd.jpg

Bladerunner%20Interiors%200008a.jpg

u3e9mli.gif

6ce8efddc47b57dfc00f3684afdc5ec4.png

KuINDhL.jpg

1f622.png

it's a pretty film but it's nowhere as charming as the original. excuse the lq grabs.

Metalmarc

Regarding the clean look does anyone remember this Concept Art that was shown in EW?

image.jpg

The setting is once again a future Los Angeles, albeit one that spreads over much of the West Coast. “The climate has gone berserk — the ocean, the rain, the snow is all toxic,” Villeneuve says. The vehicle pictured in this exclusive concept art from the sequel, Villeneuve says, is a kind of snow blower that hovers over the streets and destroys snow. He laughs. “It’s a Canadian wet dream!”

It wouldn't suprise me then if we see more vehicles like this one above cleaning up the city.

- J - D -

PSY・S;236125686 said:
1f622.png

it's a pretty film but it's nowhere as charming as the original. excuse the lq grabs.

Are we really gonna cherry pick shots from a 2 minute trailer?

And yeah, this movie might not be a carbon copy of the original. OH, the horror.

Chumley

Banned
PSY・S;236125686 said:
1f622.png

These are some great sceengrab comparisons. Best way I can sum it up is the original just had more ambition in every frame, it's almost like the new film is stripping out elements of it and creating a minimalist version of that movies visual style.

Regarding the clean look does anyone remember this Concept Art that was shown in EW?

image.jpg

It wouldn't suprise me then if we see more vehicles like this one above cleaning up the city.

I think the opening shot of the first trailer had a couple of these, but they look a bit different, or just harder to make out the details.

And yeah, this movie might not be a carbon copy of the original. OH, the horror.

You're acting like they only showed one set for the whole two minutes. We get a variety of locales shown off in this trailer. I think it's fair for people to judge the visuals based on that. And while I'm excited for this film and am prepared for something new, I do agree some of the sets look too clean. Even the areas that are supposed to be abandoned and desolate look too clean.

How is it cherry picking when all those comparisons are of visually similar shots and scenes?

Edit: Also, that dog in the gif barely gives a fuck. lol

ATARI poised for the big bucks now, finally an arcade of your very own

and Ford put more years of life into that punch than I did making this line a Millennial joke about '80s Han Solo

My money's on Ford getting paid off screen during that mansion attack scene, early in the movie as it should be for this.

also, that 'I always told you, you're special,' line, it's bothering me a lot. Like, in a 'ohhhhh commmmmeeeeeee oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn' sort of way

Anyway, solid trailer. I hope this cyberpunkpunk gives us the satisfying conclusion to the '80s vision of the future we deserve

This is probably such an obvious theory it won't be true, but I'm gonna say Gosling is Deckard's son he had with Rachel. He's some kinda hybrid or something.

pls no. So tired of people being family. Can a sequelagonist ever meet the old cast and not have them be ancestors?

bleh

Blade Runner is well known in America. No one has ever heard of GiTS.

nKcOLQt.gif

Chumley

Banned

If you don't want to participate in the conversation, don't post. The comparisons are completely valid.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Did it peak your interest stylistically? Did it make you want to see it?

Your opinion is important for the success of this film, because its been so many years since the original.

it peaked my interest because of the cinematography and the incredible colours and style, however it makes me want to to see the first one to get a grasp on wtf is going on.

All the complaints about this film not looking as great as the original are driving me bananas.

Is this different? Absolutely. Is everyone entitled to an opinion? Again, absolutely.

But for the love of God, the sheer amount of people here that are trying to look at a gift horse in the mouth is asinine.

This film is stunning. Shut up for two seconds about it not being "grimy enough" and compare this to every other film that's out there nowadays and actually appreciate the high level of effort that's being poured into these shots. It makes Rogue One look pretty ordinary, for crying out loud!

By all means, prefer the original if you will (It's a classic after all), but at least take the time to appreciate just how damn good this movie looks. Clean or not.

All the complaints about this film not looking as great as the original are driving me bananas.

Is this different? Absolutely. Is everyone entitled to an opinion? Again, absolutely.

But for the love of God, the sheer amount of people here that are trying to look at a gift horse in the mouth is asinine.

This film is stunning. Shut up for two seconds about it not being "grimy enough" and compare this to every other film that's out there nowadays and actually appreciate the high level of effort that's being poured into these shots. It makes Rogue One look pretty ordinary, for crying out loud!

By all means, prefer the original if you will (It's a classic after all), but at least take the time to appreciate just how damn good this movie looks. Clean or not.

People are already doing both. You're just focusing on the negative comments.

It's missing that grimy lived in look that the first movie (and a lot of sci fi in the 80s) had

Thats disappointing. I miss that kind of aesthetic a lot

But otherwise this shit looks really dope. I totally thought they were gonna make Leto a crazy Replicant similar to Roy Batty since that kind of performance is totally in his wheelhouse but I guess that would be redundant. This role looks cool too. Some beautiful shots in here

- J - D -

You're acting like they only showed one set for the whole two minutes. We get a variety of locales shown off in this trailer. I think it's fair for people to judge the visuals based on that. And while I'm excited for this film and am prepared for something new, I do agree some of the sets look too clean. Even the areas that are supposed to be abandoned and desolate look too clean.

How is it cherry picking when all those comparisons are of visually similar shots and scenes?
lol

It is cherry picking because the selected shots from the original and the new film share only very surface similarities. Oh, look a shot of an eye compared to another shot of an eye, wow let's glean some glaring qualitative difference between the two. The shots in this trailer were chosen with intent and us attempting to match them without being privy to context is just silly, not mention that they are fractions of a second shots from longer scenes.

If you don't want to participate in the conversation, don't post. The comparisons are completely valid.

Here, I quoted you and am in the process of actively engaging with you. I hope that meets your standards.

Razorback

Considering what can be done with computers today, I'm surprised the original looks better.
It's hard to put in words what better actually means though. Richer, more detailed, moodier?

I felt the exact same way with Ghost in the Shell. The look of the Anime has a life to it that the movie lacked. Personally, I'm not a fan of the huge hologram people in either GitS or this new Blade Runner trailer. It makes it feel more digital, cleaner.

Of course, this is just the trailer, but I don't see why they would want to hide the good stuff.

Considering what can be done with computers today, I'm surprised the original looks better.
It's hard to put in words what better actually means though. Richer, more detailed, moodier?

I felt the exact same way with Ghost in the Shell. The look of the Anime has a life to it that the movie lacked. Personally, I'm not a fan of the huge hologram people in either GitS or this new Blade Runner trailer. It makes it feel more digital, cleaner.

Of course, this is just the trailer, but I don't see why they would want to hide the good stuff.

Why would it look the same as the original? It's a different time period.

It is cherry picking because the selected shots from the original and the new film share only very surface similarities. Oh, look a shot of an eye compared to another shot of an eye, wow let's glean some glaring qualitative difference between the two. The shots in this trailer were chosen with intent and us attempting to match them without being privy to context is just silly, not mention that they are fractions of a second shots from longer scenes.

I disagree that the visuals can't be judged from a trailer. Every trailer thread there's people saying, you can't judge anything from a trailer. So why make a thread if we're not allowed to share our impressions based on a trailer? Can't judge story from a trailer? Okay fair. Can't judge the film's quality? Of course. Can't judge characters? Fair. Actors? Maybe. But visuals are totally fair to judge outside of some heavy CGI characters and action effects that probably aren't done yet.

The overpopulated earth got better? huh?

Technology doesn't just stop progressing. No one said the overpopulation situation got better, but it's not like these are the only humans. Blade Runner isn't in a post apocalyptic Earth. There are still major cities, new models of replicants being made and manufactured

Chumley

Banned

We're talking about the shots themselves and the decisions made within each of them, divorced from the script and story context of each. You don't have to have seen either film to be able to see the differences in each of them. The visuals and composition of a shot can be appreciated on their own merits.

Blader

Not a fan of the trailer.

Giant holograms everywhere etc seem like a cliched vision of the future, the originals was so stylistic as it showed an incredible future, but one past it's prime. Worried this is just going to go for anything that looks artsy and ditch tech-noir. I want some old school fucking curved CRT screens and things that make clicking noises!

It wasn't a stylistic choice, that was the tech available to them in 1982.

it peaked my interest because of the cinematography and the incredible colours and style, however it makes me want to to see the first one to get a grasp on wtf is going on.

Do it, watch the final cut on Blu ray. Its one of the most influential movies ever made.
Its so far ahead of its time. It can be a little slow in spots, but visually its stunning. If you watch it, thinking my god this was made over 30 years ago, Its mind blowing.

ewu6rt9gz0lz7briiuir.jpg

Top Bottom