• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most people have never heard of PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio - The Verge

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/...aystation-4-pro-project-scorpio-nielsen-study

Nielsen Games’s annual Games 360 Report is a comprehensive breakdown of consumer habits in the US gaming market. It tracks everything from the shifts between console, mobile, and PC popularity to the rise and growth of new technologies and trends like VR and e-sports. It also does deep dives into just how much both the average American and the average gamer knows about the industry and where they might spend money. The survey collects data using 2,000 interviews with a 50-50 male-female split, and the raw survey data is then weighted using US Census information to extrapolate the insights to the general population.

For Microsoft’s Project Scorpio and Sony’s already-released PS4 Pro, the numbers are neither all that stellar nor all that surprising. According to the study, just 14 percent of gamers over the age of 13 have ever even heard of Project Scorpio, while just 27 percent have heard of the PS4 Pro. (The figures are far less for the general population.) When it comes to purchasing those devices, just 15 percent of gamers said they’re interested in buying Sony’s new console, while just 13 percent said Project Scorpio is on their prospective buy list.

So Microsoft and Sony clearly think it’s worth targeting those console users with Scorpio and the PS4 Pro, even if they won’t sell tens of millions of units. There is the possibility of a chicken-and-egg problem on our hands. It won’t matter how polished the new console hardware is if game developers don’t feel its worth extensive optimization, and consumers won’t want to buy the hardware unless there’s a slate of games that take advantage of the full suit of performance boosts.

This means that, even with a new PS4 on the market and a new Xbox just one month from its global unveiling, Microsoft and Sony may be wading into a market not that many consumers are interested in. Sure, there will always be the hardcore fans — those interested in the best graphics and performance — who want the latest gear. But those consumers have typically found shelter in the PC space, where modular upgrade systems allow for constant part swapping, and where consoles are seen as the poor relations.

But perhaps that’s the whole point. Microsoft and Sony may be fine with selling lower numbers of these “pro” devices, and more of the standard systems, if it can nurture an enthusiast market in the console space like the one that exists currently on the PC. In an deal world, both Microsoft and Sony are able support players across the entire platform regardless of the power of their hardware. But the potential downside is that these aggressive refresh cycles risk splitting the console market into the haves and have nots — and developers seem more wary of that than anything else.

Put me on the verge of a cliff if old.

iMax

But perhaps that’s the whole point. Microsoft and Sony may be fine with selling lower numbers of these “pro” devices, and more of the standard systems, if it can nurture an enthusiast market in the console space like the one that exists currently on the PC.

That is the point.

I've been saying this for awhile. Marketing metrics for the mid-gen upgrades aren't significant. Market is not ready for a new generation anyway.

It is for Sony, but given there sales domination i'd bet it isn't for Microsoft even if publically they will say this is the sole intention.

The "We heard you" console.

Microsoft has said time and time again that Scorpio is not replacing the Xbox One. They're both niche enthusiast products that don't need a lot of advertising.

Guymelef

It is for Sony, but given there sales domination i'd bet it isn't for Microsoft even if publically they will say this is the sole intention.

Scorpio major sales are going to be from people who already got XBO.

GodofWine

Why would the general population be expected to know the code name for the next Xbox that is not advertised, or sitting on a store shelf?

According to the study, just 14 percent of gamers over the age of 13 have ever even heard of Project Scorpio, while just 27 percent have heard of the PS4 Pro. (The figures are far less for the general population.) When it comes to purchasing those devices, just 15 percent of gamers said they’re interested in buying Sony’s new console, while just 13 percent said Project Scorpio is on their prospective buy list.

so 93% of the people who (to this point) know about Project Scorpio intend to buy said console.

We haven't seen the Scorpio yet. It doesn't even have an official code name.
Though I imagine marketing it is quite difficult. If you don't have a 4k TV there's not too much to do with it and the Pro doesn't even have a 4k BR player.
Watching gameplay videos on Youtube or live streams also won't show much of a difference based on the PS4 Pro reveal either.
I don't think Sony/MS wants users to think it's a considerably better experience either since they're still selling the original systems and they don't want those versions to be seen as bad.

theyve been positioning this as a premium product since the beginning, i dont think so.

MS's objectives are adoption and use of windows and windows devices, prolifically. Not outselling sony

Gator86

Lol no crap! LOL @ everyone saying Scorpio is going to be some saving grace.

100% of the people saying that are joking or delusional Xbox warriors driven entirely mad by the Xbone's market performance in comparison to the PS4. No sane person considers this even briefly.

Griss

Not super surprised.

I had a friend call me up yesterday and tell me he got a new 1 TB PS4 to replace his old one because he ran out of space for all his annual sports games. He was calling to say that's why he'd been offline for a month and we should have a game of Fifa or The Golf Club etc.

I was like, "So you got a Pro, right?"
"What?"
"A PS4 Pro?"
"Naw, I don't think so. What is that? I got the new 1 terabyte version with the more space in its memory."
"Send me a picture."
*Sends picture*
"Okay, you got a Pro. You did good."
"...you're gonna have to explain the difference to me..."

The whole point of these devices is to keep enthusiasts that want "moar powah" near the end of a console's life to keep them from jumping ship to PC.

It worked on me. I was seriously considering building a PC for the first time ever, then I bought a PS4 Pro with a 4k TV instead.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
And isn't that exactly what MS wanted? They've not even revealed the box yet.

I have friends that play videogames every day and don't know that Sony released an enhanced version of the PS4, and that Microsoft is planning to release a new version of the Xbox in 5 months. This probably describes 90% of my videogame playing real life friends.

4k will not be a significant driver of console sales growth until 2020 at the earliest. MS addressing the core audience is all they really have to salvage the generation.

FelipeMGM

thats prob the reason why Sony's marketing for it is very limited. They mostly run ads for Pro and games on the Pro on entushiasts websties like DF

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I imagine eventually marketing will pick up on them (especially Scorpio) but I do find it odd how little Sony talks about and markets the Pro. It doesn't surprise me that the lower priced model sells a whole lot better but I'm confused at how muted the marketing is for it. I would expect a bit more of a push on it given that it's probably a higher margin piece of hardware than the base PS4.

which is why people believing that the Scorpio is going to turn things around are being silly. Like the Pro, the Scorpio will probably result in a marginal boost in sales for a few months and then it's back to status quo.

Scorpio might have a bigger splash than the Pro, but it's not going to be a massive game-changer.

Izuna

Banned
I knew this already.

And it doesn't matter if people know the Scorpio, they can't win the generation with a premium device.

EGM1966

surprisemutherfucker.gif

We'll see how MS launch and advertise it but is Scorpio really does follow Pro profile there's going to be a lot of upset warriors on the internet.

I still really hate these halfsteps, chasing the awful 09-2012 phone model isn't the way to go.

I don't know anyone who plans on getting one.

When I see praise for them on gaf I feel crazy.

You can bet when scorpio releases people will know about it. Not the same can be said for the ps4 pro which has already been out for about 6 months.

I think Scorpio will move 2 million this holiday. It's going to be the new hotness with the Switch. Can't wait to see these games running on it. Hopefully Best Buys set up a system in the 4K TV space to show off games and 4k movies.

panda-zebra

so 93% of the people who (to this point) know about Project Scorpio intend to buy said console.

I've taken part in quite a number of these kinds of market research surveys, but your interpretation of those percentages in not generally how they work.

Normally they ask if you've heard of product X, Y/N. They then on the next page they outline what product X is after you've answered. In a subsequent question they then ask if it's something you'd consider purchasing. By the time the planned purchase question is asked, 100% of those surveyed are aware of what it is and the response is an informed and more useful one.

I heard a guy at GameStop say that 4K is a sales gimmick is actually no different than 1080p. The salesman started laughing and so did I.

Top Bottom