• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S washing out my TV in game mode when detecting HDR?

Gowans

So today I picked up a 65" Samsung KS8000 and is lovely!
I switched to a Xbox one S also and have been fiddling with settings.

There is a weird thing happening tho when I'm in game mode viewing a game or 4K Blu Ray that kicks in HDR content.

It makes the screen washed out, grey and dim. It's fixed by switching from game mode but seems really weird. I can't find a solution from googling.

Is there something I'm missing?

maximrace

In Game mode backlight doesn't go to 20 automatically, it does outside the mode. So if you use game mode you need to adapt your settings.

When viewing HDR content, the backlight automatically gets kicked up to max brightness. At least that's how it works for Sony TVs.

Gowans

In Game mode backlight doesn't go to 20 automatically, it does outside the mode. So if you use game mode you need to adapt your settings.
I've kicked it up from 14 to 20 after starting a HDR game but it still doesn't look right at all?

Do I have to go in and out every time also?

Edit: nah it's defo wrong, looks like I've got sunglasses on

Can you post some picture of the "wash-out" HDR? Possibly the same screenshot in Forza with and without HDR? I know picture isn't the best but if there is something completely wrong we should see it with pictures.

UHD Color enabled?

DC? Smart LED? Eco options?

Post all your settings with the washed out picture too.

Gowans

Can you post some picture of the "wash-out" HDR? Possibly the same screenshot in Forza with and without HDR? I know picture isn't the best but if there is something completely wrong we should see it with pictures.

UHD Color enabled?

DC? Smart LED? Eco options?

Post all your settings with the washed out picture too.

I will do, I'm just making tea but give me 10

Mindwipe

Honestly it sounds like the colour space is wrong. Is the HDMI cable a high speed one? What do the picture settings on the TV say is coming in?

Honestly it sounds like the colour space is wrong. Is the HDMI cable a high speed one? What do the picture settings on the TV say is coming in?

If I remember correctly, you should leave color space on both Xbox One S and TV to auto. But please let us know.

I have an x800d, but I have this problem with HDR as well. If I bump the contrast up a little bit it fixes it and it looks correct though.

Gowans

Here's some photos I've took and out in an imgur gallery

https://imgur.com/gallery/4bPA5

You totally can't tell from the pictures haha

It's so weird only HDR games in game mode are throwing it, make it look faded and grey even with the back light st to max.

Non HDR content looks fine

I can go and buy a new hdmi cable too try that????

inner-G

Banned
People say not to use dynamic contrasts, but on my set HDR looks best with dynamic contrast on medium imo

(I have a 6300 not an 8000)

Here's some photos I've took and out in an imgur gallery

https://imgur.com/gallery/4bPA5

You totally can't tell from the pictures haha

It's so weird only HDR games in game mode are throwing it, make it look faded and grey even with the back light st to max.

Non HDR content looks fine

I can go and buy a new hdmi cable too try that????

Backlight should be at 20 in HDR, is this the case when in game mode? On your 1st picture it is at 12.

I don't think its HDMI cable problem.

Tall Paul

Hi. Have you enabled the HDMI port the 's' is connected to for UHD? I'm pretty sure the Xbox checks it at set up but may be the reason.

EvB

Isn't this because Game mode disables the processing required for local dimming (Smart LED) and thus correct HDR display?

Gowans

Hi. Have you enabled the HDMI port the 's' is connected to for UHD? I'm pretty sure the Xbox checks it at set up but may be the reason.
I turned on hdmi uhd colour on all inputs in the to settings

Also unplugged the switch as it was keep getting hdmi control

Gowans

Isn't this because Game mode disables the processing required for local dimming (Smart LED) and thus correct HDR display?

I thought it would just work? It doesn't look faded when it's not running HDR content

only if you use game mode there's a bug for some reason, if you were to play an HDR movie and use standard or movie setting it would jump to 20 automatically. Same with any streamed HDR source.

Is it a bug? I've done a software update?

Is there a way to tell the xbox to turn off HDR then?

It also seems like it fades HDR 4K blu rays playing on the s

Tall Paul

I thought it would just work? It doesn't look faded when it's not running HDR content

Is it a bug? I've done a software update?

Is there a way to tell the xbox to turn off HDR then?
Hi. It's always been an issue for the last year, I tend not to bother with game mode movie or standard has a good screen rate, worth trying those settings just to check it is less washed out, that at least rules an issue with the cable.

EvB

Make sure Smart LED is turned on. You can't "do" HDR without this.

There are 2 reasons it looks washed out
1: The TV has kicked the backlight across the entire screen up so high, that light is passing through black pixels.

2: the Xbox tone maps a flatter image, because the TV is expected to process that image.

If game mode how turned these things offoff , then that will be why it looks weird.

Gowans

Make sure Smart LED is turned on. You can't "do" HDR without this.

There are 2 reasons it looks washed out
1: The TV has kicked the backlight across the entire screen up so high, that light is passing through black pixels.

2: the Xbox tone maps a flatter image, because the TV is expected to process that image.

If game mode how turned these things offoff , then that will be why it looks weird.

Smart led off low and high all look the same.

Maybe the solution is just to not use game mode?

Sharpness is at 50, should be at/near 0...did you raise that up yourself?

If not it makes me thing the TV could think this is a PC (default sharpness is higher IIRC) and not a console. What does the icon look like when you are selecting the HDMI source?

Gowans

Sharpness is at 50, should be at/near 0...did you raise that up yourself?

If not it makes me thing the TV could think this is a PC (default sharpness is higher IIRC) and not a console. What does the icon look like when you are selecting the HDMI source?
That was the default, moved it to 0.

The to recoginses it as an xbox in the hdmi menu

EvB

Smart led off low and high all look the same.

Maybe the solution is just to not use game mode?

Maybe.

I'd say get it all set up for image quality and get it looking right without game mode. Then start turning unnesscary things off or game mode on until you are happy.

VicViper

Do you have comparison shots with game mode on and off for FH3 (with HDR)?

Because I absolutely don't see a problem in those shots. It's raining, sky is overcast, so the lighting looks very natural. Try racing in bright sunshine for the full HDR to kick in.

That was the default, moved it to 0.

The to recoginses it as an xbox in the hdmi menu

Default is definitely 0, that's weird! If you lower the contrast to 90?

How does it look with DC high, Smart led High?

What happens if you try color space native vs auto? What if you change it in the Xbox One S Menu?

Is the TV updated/up to date? Is the Xbox One S updated?

Gowans

Looks like a previously known issue that HDR on Xbox ONE S was super dim, it was supposed to be fix in a patch...I see that Forza is obviously patched since you have the Hot Wheels things!

Where is your HDR slider in game in forza?
It has a slider????!

It was at lowest but now moved to max but no effect

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Did you check the eco mode settings? I've had them randomly turn on for one picture mode but not another.

Make sure to check it with game mode on and an active HDR source.

EvB

Did you check the eco mode settings? I've had them randomly turn on for one picture mode but not another.

And remember that settings can be set per input, make sure that the settings are actually being applied to the one you are using.

Are all the settings on the Xbox Correct?

Yes. Always turn off Eco Mode and anything called Eco with Samsung stuff. All it does is save energy, apparently but hey why bother when it hurts the PQ so much.

Also it'll take a while to get the settings just right. Also also HDR can dim stuff. Windows 10 now has an HDR option but it makes everything look washed out even though films and games that use HDR look fine. W10 HDR is useless (turning it off also turns of a games HDR option too).

Gowans

Yeah all eco modes are off.

I've gave up for tonight, done some googling and found tonnes of people with the same issues but no fix.

For now I'll just turn game mode off for anything with HDR

ResoRai

Yeah all eco modes are off.

I've gave up for tonight, done some googling and found tonnes of people with the same issues but no fix.

For now I'll just turn game mode off for anything with HDR
You should be able to turn off HDR in the Xbox one video settings right?

Gowans

Well I think I go sorted last night.

I watched the revanent with game mode off, came back and applied these settings and think I'm good now.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=234794008

Still feels like a slight dimming like I'm wearing sunglasses but think that might be due to everything being levelled out across a wider range

Top Bottom