• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces VR motion controllers. $399 VR headset + controllers this holiday

SPDIF

To be clear, the headset is from Acer, but I couldn't fit that in the title.

These are Microsoft's new VR motion controllers

LQ2r9O8.jpg

Microsoft has announced a new set of motion controllers for its Windows Mixed Reality VR headsets. The controllers will be fully tracked by sensors in the headset, instead of by external cameras or markers.

Windows Mixed Reality controllers look similar to those of the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. There's a ring of LEDs at one end for tracking, then a panel with a round trackpad, analog stick, and menu button. On the body, there's a Windows button and a side grip trigger.

Acer will ship a $399 VR headset with full motion trackers this holiday season

Acer will release a Windows Mixed Reality VR headset with Microsoft's new motion controllers for $399 during the holiday season, and it may not be the only company to do so. Microsoft announced the news when it unveiled the controllers at today's Build keynote. While Acer is the only company named so far, Microsoft says multiple partners may be selling these controllers at retail during the same time frame.

In related news, Alex Kipman told people to tune into E3 for more AR/VR content, so there'll likely be Scorpio announcements related to the above.

Specs for the TWO current headsets here: https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...kits-available-pre-order/#dewG13tlOFPvWE58.97

Price is meant to include controllers

Yes, they allow room scale, and 6 degrees of freedom.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The headsets are getting sleeker and the price is coming down, but it's seemingly a slow process. Should be interesting to see when or if VR hits the mainstream.

Ion Guru

They look nice, interested to see how the headset and controllers perform, particularly since I haven't jumped in yet.

Worth noting that the controllers are apparently only tracked when in view of the headset's cameras which would limit it's gaming applications. For example, drawing a bow would be impossible since your draw hand would be out of view.

EDIT: Though there is some stuff to mitigate that so "impossible" may be a bit strong.

According to Microsoft the controllers have an inertial measurement unit (IMU) and use inverse kinematics to allow for some tracking when they're not in the camera's view.

https://uploadvr.com/microsoft-motion-controllers-vr-headsets-6dof/

dzelly

Microsoft committing to VR long term seems like Mixed Reality. For the sake of the medium I hope more major companies throw their hats in the ring.

cakely

I predict that a large group of posters here on GAF that previously hated VR will come around after this announcement.

And honestly? That's a good thing. I can't wait to see the resolution of the display and how well inside-out tracking works on the new headset.

EDIT: The controllers are tracked by the headset? Interesting, I'd like to see how developers work around that restriction.

Microsoft committing to VR long term seems like Mixed Reality. For the sake of the medium I hope more major companies throw their hats in the ring.

I think they will use Hololens as the Microsoft Hero device for mixed reality, kinda like what they did with their surface devices.

Maybe license out the tech they develop for the Hololens to 3rd parties.

Gestault

I have some reservations about the ecosystem support here, but this is a good alternative to having to set up external cameras, for in-view hand tracking:

The controllers will be fully tracked by sensors in the headset, instead of by external cameras or markers.

I need a pretty damned clear game support mission statement, including affirming backward compatiility with existing VR software, to even consider buying into any of this. I went from being sold on VR to on the sidelines over the last few years, and this hasn't even been proven to be up to par.

Just don't create any new first party studios to work on VR shit. You already got Good Science, LXP, and etc on AR duty, let them handle that stuff.

Tagyhag

Well, at least now we know what will be used with the Scorpio. Ugly headset, but that doesn't matter, price is good and the controllers look like they'll be good at tracking.

The controllers will be fully tracked by sensors in the headset, instead of by external cameras or markers.

Very curious about how this goes though, wonder if it'll allow for room scale...

Curious to see what games they have cooking. Price point is okay though

I predict that a large group of posters here on GAF that previously hated VR will come around after this announcement.

And honestly? That's a good thing. I can't wait to see the resolution of the display and how well inside-out tracking works on the new headset.

EDIT: The controllers are tracked by the headset? Interesting, I'd like to see how developers work around that restriction.
Ahhh a preemptive console war comment. Good, good

I don't think VR ever cut down fanboy lines. 95% want it to be a thing while 5% just can't physically do it due to sickness.

Nope. I'm still down on it. When the headsets are wireless and not tethered to anything, that's when my interest will pick up.

Syranth

I have doubts on VR that is tracked from the headset at this time. I want to see it in action because I'm worried that as soon as you whip one of those controllers behind your back for something, or if you are heavier set and the controllers become obstructed, that it will lose track of the controllers. Even the Rift has a few issues with just two sensors placed around the room.

The headset itself has cameras and sensors that either map the room you're in or use what it sees as reference points so it doesn't need any external cameras looking back at it.

*-* how many fps is that camera (because "motion blur" on images would make tracking impossible for fast movements), how will this work in a darker room (higher "shutter speed" needs more light) or bad light conditions.... I don't think that's a good idea, but benefit of the doubt for now.

really compelling to buy one of these
but i wait for oculus and vive gen 2 before i make my decision

i hope they go for inside out tracking, too
otherwise it's a no buy for me

Highly doubtful either of those two will go with inside out for Gen 2. Oculus does have a side project that uses inside out but that's not really meant to be the next generation and would be a totally self contained unit (ie no PC or phone needed).

*-* how many fps is that camera (because "motion blur" on images would make tracking impossible for fast movements), how will this work in a darker room (higher "shutter speed" needs more light) or bad light conditions.... I don't think that's a good idea, but benefit of the doubt for now.

I can't really answer that, but those are all valid concerns. Inside out right now is generally a less dependable form of tracking than outside in for reasons like that. People have had decent impressions from early versions of these headsets at demos but of course those are demo environments.

Top Bottom