• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evanescence to Blend Orchestration With Electronica on New Album 'Synthesis'

I actually liked them way longer than I should of. Now I just can't see them as anything other than a joke meme band for edgy kids.

charpunk

When their first single came out, the only radio station we could pick up at work played it 57 times in one day.

It was a nightmare.

AndersK

Evanescence is an apt name - band members have a way of evaporating. They should get that checked. Some ridicoulous drama behind the scenes.

Anyways, loved 'em when i was 13, and they were my first concert back in the day at age 14. The show after that funding member and guitarist Ben Moody left the band mid-tour, citing irrevocable differences with Amy Lee. Can't say i've ever cared for any album after the first.

Hilariously, every member who wrote and recorded their debut 'Fallen' bar frontwoman Amy Lee got together with a female vocalist from American Idol and called themselves 'We are the Fallen'.

Thats either the most bitter slow burn retort ever, or just straight up hilarious. Drrrrrama.

Ahasverus

This is actually and exciting direction.
Hilariously, every member who wrote and recorded their debut 'Fallen' bar frontwoman Amy Lee got together with a female vocalist from American Idol and called themselves 'We are the Fallen'.

Thats either the most bitter slow burn retort ever, or just straight up hilarious. Drrrrrama.
Their album is amazing. The real sequel to Fallen.

FloatOn

646.png

DOWN

Banned
Isn't Evanescence now just Amy Lee and a revolving door of replacements? She's great but I feel like she could do without the band facade

cr0w

Old Member
Isn't Evanescence now just Amy Lee and a revolving door of replacements? She's great but I feel like she could do without the band facade

Pretty much, yeah. Lots of reports out there that claim she's almost impossible to work with.

cwmartin

I lasted 16 seconds of her announcement video.

"These are big words, listen to these big words, buzzword, buzzword, ALBUM."

yyr

The show after that funding member and guitarist Ben Moody left the band mid-tour, citing irrevocable differences with Amy Lee. Can't say i've ever cared for any album after the first.

This.

"Fallen" was one of the most amazing albums ever (IMO). Amy's vocals combined with Ben's melodies just formed some amazing kind of synergy that I've never heard anywhere else.

After Ben left, everything they put out, by comparison, just sounded like noise to me. Amy's voice was still beautiful but there was nothing else.

The We Are The Fallen album was good, but while Carly Smithson is a talented vocalist, she just does not have Amy Lee's voice. So it can be enjoyed as its own thing, but if you're looking for more music in the vein of "Fallen," you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's really too bad that they couldn't work together any more.

taking out the vocals and it's like I'm listening to a piece from Lord of the Rings spliced with Metroid Prime pieces in certain points.

That said, Amy still has a lovely voice. The transitions between the various orchestrated sections could be smoother. It might have been advantageous to adjust the vocal melody to facilitate a better transition in the instrumental melody.

Really didn't care for that. Was mostly boring, but some of it I found rather unpleasant to listen to. I do like that they got rid of the generic male vocals. I always liked the demo version with a guitar solo instead of the rap interlude.

opoth

Banned
There's only one real Evanescence album, that band broke up years ago. Too bad she has to still use the name.

My wife who practically lives and breaths symphonic metal like Evanescence, Nightwish & Within Temptation was so sad after first hearing this last night.

She's going to their concert in Minneapolis in December and is now worried that the same treatment will apply to the rest of the classic stuff they'll play lol.

I love Amy Lee but it was pretty clear Ben Moody created the sound for Fallen since he recreated it pretty perfectly for We Are The Fallen's only album.

Not knocking Amy, I own all her albums and will buy this new one. But yeah.

This. There is an extremely clear shift in sound and lyrics after their first major label release, and Moody's departure. He recaptured both perfectly with We Are the Fallen. He was clearly driving the musical direction in Evanescence. Which isn't to say people can't or shouldn't dig Lee and her hired guns. But, saying she is Evanescence is fucking nonsense to anyone who loved Fallen, 'cause Evanescence hasn't been that since Moody left.

Top Bottom