• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible censorship in Call Of Duty: WWII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there is a theory as of late that Sledgehammer Games is possibly going to censor certain iconography in Call Of Duty: WWII.

If this is done simply with the desire to not offended anyone, nobody wins.

As an avid WWII and history buff [in addition to Sledgehammer Games constantly saying "historical accuracy" at every possible interview and press event], I can't see it as being true; but on the other hand, the evidence posted below will show that there have definitely been things altered for press events. Maybe this is just due to the countries that are being exposed to it, or possibly the countries were the media was being displayed. If anything, there should just be a toggle in the options allowing the player to choose whether or not they want to see these types of things.

Germany is notorious for it's strict regulations regarding censorship, so it will be interesting to see how this subject is handled for that market/region.

I'm not a fan of censorship - I like to be able to make up my own mind on what offends me and what does not.

Here are the images that show alterations to what would normally be historically accurate markings, stamps or insignias on the following weapon and document:

3qy0rXY_d.jpg
XQxtYyy_d.jpg

Reddit thread link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WWII/comments/68ap0s/some_evidence_that_shg_is_censoring_nazi_insignia/

What say you GAF? Should Sledgehammer Games censor Call Of Duty: WWII in any capacity?

Probably due to the nature of it being a press event. I don't think it will be censored in most of the world, but in Germany they will likely remove the Swastika.

Jucksalbe

Banned
They will have to do this for the German version, but they might want to have the same version for all of Europe, so who knows if German censorship might be present in other versions as well.

Lkr

this is the least of my concerns for this game. i just want a good WW2 shooter. if they take out swasitkas i don't really care. nazi zombies aren't historically accurate either

Well that's a hell of a loaded question

How?

You either want a historically accurate game down to every detail, or you don't - or you just don't care either way and just want to play a fun game. So there's definitely an opinion that can be based on this.

this is the least of my concerns for this game. i just want a good WW2 shooter

I love historically accurate WWII games, so I'm just hoping that it's authentic ... there's another one of those Sledgehammer Games buzzwords again lol

nampad

I dislike the censorship but I have to say I wouldn't have noticed the missing Swastikas in the example. Much better than any other censored Swastikas in German versions of the games. We usually get some weird other symbol so you notice right away.

canedaddy

Not surprising that Nazi symbols would be altered in a time when Apple removes Civil War games that feature the rebel flag. People today seem to believe in burying/erasing history rather than learning from it.

SDCowboy

I don't think I'll ever understand how a swastika genuinely offends someone when used in historical context. That was their logo/insignia. How is that offensive?

Xando

The Reichsadler(eagle) was actually used with and without swastika.

The german army mostly had the eagle while the SS had eagle with swastika.

So it isn't necessarily censorship
I don't think I'll ever understand how a swastika genuinely offends someone when used in historical context. That was their logo. How is that offensive?
Who says it's offensive?
It's a anti constitutional symbol here in germany. Only allowed to be used in science or art depiction. Movies have no problems showing swastikas and i'd recon games could jump on the same train if publishers actually gave a fuck about this.

cyba89

Who plays a Call Of Duty game for historical accuracy anyway? A bunch of different textures would probably be the smallest historical inaccuracy you will find in the game.

Not surprising that Nazi symbols would be altered in a time when Apple removes Civil War games that feature the rebel flag. People today seem to believe in burying/erasing history rather than learning from it.

That's not true at all if you're talking about germany.

patapuf

How?

You either want a historically accurate game down to every detail, or you don't - or you just don't care either way and just want to play a fun game. So there's definitely an opinion that can be based on this.

I love historically accurate WWII games, so I'm just hoping that it's authentic ... there's another one of those Sledgehammer Games buzzwords again lol

This is a call of duty campagin. Just like every Hollywood movie about WWII it will be woefully inaccurate in general.

A few stamps don't even register (and the iconography in these stamps was used during that time as well):

I mean, you don't really expect COD WWII to be "historically accurate down to every detail" do you?

Removing swastikas from games has been done since computer games existed here in Germany fyi. No need to overreact over such a thing in my eyes.

Keeping swastikas in games has been done since computer games existed here in the states fyi. No need to pander over such things now in my eyes

Hesh

This is press material to be disseminated to everyone, Germany included. It's a waste of time to construct separate press materials at this point in time. The game won't be scrubbed clean of Nazi insignias and mentions when released in North America and outside of Germany. This is a non-issue.

As well as statues in New Orleans. Strange days...

This is the most apt response to this absurd thread.

It is a German machine gun.... And that emblem also existed in Nazi Germany. It's a video game, chill out. They aren't saying it's not Nazis

How is this thread absurd? I could say your response was absurd lol

Yes is it really worth worrying about?

Yes, actually it is. Censoring history is abhorrent and should not ever occur.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

-George Santayana

Orayn

No matter how accurate or inaccurate the little details are, I can guarantee that stuff will be overshadowed by setpieces that would make Captain America blush. Someone has to top the blimp scenes in BF1.

Neptonic

I don't understand why the symbol for the german armed forces is circled. It makes more sense to have that in the context, compared to a swastika.

patapuf

-George Santayana

You don't even recognise the isigna of the Wehrmacht. Are you sure you are concerned about historical accuracy and not just about whether there will be swastikas in the game?

Not having a swastika in your game is "political correctness" now? This is not censorship. It is not a documentary, it's an action game. If they do it, it is because of German law and not wanting different versions of the game.

If they include it, would be interesting to see how stuff like Twitch is handled. Can you show it on there from an international streamer if it is against the law to be in the actual game?

SDCowboy

Who says it's offensive?
It's a anti constitutional symbol here in germany. Only allowed to be used in science or art depiction. Movies have no problems showing swastikas and i'd recon games could jump on the same train if publishers actually gave a fuck about this.

I just mean in general (not counting in Germany) when it comes to depicting Nazis, portraying swastikas often seems to be a touchy will-they/won't-they situation. Especially in games. And I don't get it. It's not some obscene gesture. It's just a logo/insignia, and it was what the Nazi's used.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How is this thread absurd?

The thread is absurd because:
1) Both "German" and the presence of the iron cross are historically accurate, and don't imply that the Swastika was replaced by them in an act of "censorship"

2) Your OP suggests several alternate theories that are also plausible if it was the Swastika replaced by the iron cross.

3) Maybe you're right, but the tone of the thread is very hyperventilating.

"Political correctness" is literally when someone gets extremely angry when other people don't use the "correct" word or symbol for something.

Orayn

Maybe OP is right and they're gonna pull a 24 and never actually name Germany in-game, it'll just be "The Dictator's Country."

AYF 001

So the developer having to comply with the same laws as every other game released in Germany related to WWII is some controversy how? Besides, I'm sure there'll be plenty of "free speech" edgelords running around with swastika emblems in MP anyway.

And if you want "total realism", maybe there can be a level where you play as the Einsatzgruppen, where you can execute POWs and civilians. Or a mission where you play as Americans first coming across the mountains of bodies from recently abandoned death camps? How about one where you play as the Soviets during the invasion of Berlin, where you watch women getting raped and families committing suicide rather than facing their new occupiers?

Certainly would seem in line with the series that gave the world No Russian.

Xando

-George Santayana
I give you this as soon as you link me a source on how one US soldier killed 500 people like you do in COD.

If the game were historically accurate you wouldn't play it.

patapuf

I just mean in general (not counting in Germany) when it comes to depicting Nazis, portraying swastikas often seem to be a touchy will-they/won't-they deal. Especially in games. And I don't get it. It's not some obscene gesture. It's just a logo/insignia.

Of course it's obscene, these people murdered and commited genocide all over europe and not "only" on the jews. That's only 70 years ago not 500.

We are not talking about a documentary here, it's an action game. If they leave it out (and i doubt they will), it won't be missed.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
The game has zombies in it. I don't think "historical accuracy down to every little detail" is what they are going for.

What? it's a different game mode

and wait till the game comes out. Again it's probably as people predict that maybe they don't want press walking around with swastika's and nazi symbolism, especially countries where its strictly prohibited like Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom