• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found out Sony is removing PS Now support from almost everything and I'm angry

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So yeah I just fired up the PS Now app on my Vita for the first time in a long time to check out the current selection and was greeted with a message saying that PS Now will no longer be available on Vita, PS3 and a shit load of blu ray players and TV's after August. So basically it's just PS4 and PC you can use this service on now. This thing was supposed to grow the amount of things it was available on. Not take most of them away. I liked occasionally subscribing to play a PS3 game on a handheld every now and then when something tickled my fancy. Stop taking things away from me, Sony. :(

I've never used the service, but this seems really strange to me.

As a streaming service along the lines of Netflix and Spotify, you'd think they would try to get is on to every platform possible - tablets, phones, media streaming boxes etc. Bizarre.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've never used the service, but this seems really strange to me.

As a streaming service along the lines of Netflix and Spotify, you'd think they would try to get is on to every platform possible - tablets, phones, media streaming boxes etc. Bizarre.

I get the impression it's a poorly-conceived attempt at putting another feather in the PS4's cap, the underlying logic being that those who use the service on a non-PC device likely don't own a PS4 but will be more inclined to purchase one if it's offering something they previously engaged with.

kami_sama

The Vita and PS3 I understand, they weren't made with PS Now support on mind, but a lot of these blu-ray players and tvs, were marketed as having PS Now support, and now they are going to remove it. It's a really shitty move by Sony.

I get the impression it's a poorly-conceived attempt at compelling people who used the service on a non-PC device to purchase a PS4.

Which is a backwards approach - they could use PS Now on a wide range of devices to advertise the Sony platform and convince people to buy a PS4.

Also, seems you can't individually rent games anymore? It's just the monthly subscription service. Whole thing has regressed backwards.

Decider

I think it was removed from my TV almost as quickly as it was added. It's also sad and hilarious that the newer models of DS4 are incompatible with a lot of Sony's devices.

Yoshi88

Service has already regressed while it still isn't even available in some regions (Germany). I mean, how long does it take?

Kthulhu

Hopefully it's a sign the service isn't making money. The precedent that PS Now is setting is a dangerous one that could lead to the total death of game ownership.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Also, seems you can't individually rent games anymore? It's just the monthly subscription service. Whole thing has regressed backwards.
Yeah I hated when they took that away. Should have kept the option for both. The library would have been larger, and considering when I subscribe it's with the intent of juat playing a game or two that tickle my fancy, individual rentals would be a cheaper option for me.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hopefully it's a sign the service isn't making money. The precedent that PS Now is setting is a dangerous one that could lead to the total death of game ownership.
Yeah.....no. PS Now doesn't even have new games on it. It's not taking away fuck all. Let me have my quick easy rental service that doesn't require me to either use one specific piece of hardware to play it, or download anything. PS Now as a concept is fantastic. Sony's miahandling of it sucks so much.

Kthulhu

Yeah.....no. PS Now doesn't even have new games on it. It's not taking away fuck all. Let me have my quick easy rental service that doesn't require me to either use one specific piece of hardware to play it, or download anything. PS Now as a concept is fantastic. Sony's miahandling of it sucks so much.

Super Bunnyhop made a video about the danger PS Now presents back when it was in Beta: https://youtu.be/GeX38RD52-4

I encourage you to watch this, he explains it way better than I could.

I have no problem with streaming existing for the people who want it, but if becomes the norm, then we will all be worse off for it.

Its probably because the amount of money to support the service on these older systems is less then the amount of money they bring in. I strongly doubt there is a large amount of people using their Vitas for psnow.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I still remwmber how excited I was when Sony announced this service. I was so optimistic. I was sure they'd get this right. When I played the beta my hopes were seemingly justified. IT OFFICIALLY WORKS AND I DON'T EVEN FEEL ANY LAG HOLY SHIT. In terms of the tech it's so right. Game streaming on PS Now is so good. They just proceeded to fuck up every single other fucking thing once they launched it. I'm going to be bitter about this for years to come.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How effective was the service? Did it perform consistently across all platforms?
I've used it on PS4, Vita and PC. Performs like a dream on PS4 and PC. Seemed slightly worse on Vita I assume because that's going through wifi rather than a wired connection, but it was playable and a solid experience. A noticeable difference but not so much that it killed it or anything. Comparable to remote play for the Vita, whereas with PS4 and PC it felt like I was playing the games natively.

EGM1966

Nothing is forever and TBH moving to a GaaS / digital future gamers better get used to idea that if something isn't commercially viable it's going to be toast at some point no matter what PR has been given up to then.

PC & physical game plus internet connection remains as close to "forever" as its possible to get IMHO.

Sucks though OP I agree on that: companies changing their tune on something you actually like/use is never fun.

Caayn

That's strange. You'd say that one of the major selling points of PS Now is that you can play those games anywhere.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, can people stream PS3 games to PS4 using PS Now and stream that to PSV using remote play? Maybe it's just an initiative to drive acceptance of gorgeously large latency.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So, can people stream PS3 games to PS4 using PS Now and stream that to PSV using remote play? Maybe it's just an initiative to drive acceptance of gorgeously large latency.
Nah remote play doesn't work with PS Now. I really wanted to do that back when it was in beta and only available on PS4.

c0de

I said it right when it started that besides technical issues that this service costs a lot to only maintain and to operate. I guess it never really started working in a way what they thought would be needed to have a service that is making money, not bleeding it.
The idea of streaming games was awful anyway, in my opinion, though.

Plasma

Banned
I feel like putting it out on PC is the last throw of the dice for Sony with PS Now if it isn't successful I could see them shutting it down entirely.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PS NOW isn't even out in most of EU and other countries and yet it gets removed from many machines already.

Yeah, the slow rollout is rather frustrating. I'd like to finally play Into the Nexus in the not-too-distant future, so here's hoping it hits Australia before the next decade.

c0de

Probably not enough people using it on other devices, so they cut it down to save money.

Probably not enough people using it at all but they are dropping support for platforms where they think it's least telling.
I mean, if they would drop support for ps4, they might as well drop the whole service as the message itself would be suicide.

Kayant

It's a shame indeed and doesn't justify the service needing to still exist atm as like you said the point was non-ps systems being able to play either consoles games/Sony titles. Thankfully it doesn't affect my as PC is the platform of choice I used for this.

As people as suggested it's either the service isn't doing too well so they limiting the audience for now to reduce cost.

Or if we take their reasoning given in the removal announcement something along these lines:
Makes sense.

Cuts out the cost of support for legacy platforms.
Removes the encoding limitations of legacy platforms.
Either way will find out in a couple of years I guess 😁.
I get the impression it's a poorly-conceived attempt at putting another feather in the PS4's cap, the underlying logic being that those who use the service on a non-PC device likely don't own a PS4 but will be more inclined to purchase one if it's offering something they previously engaged with.
I dunno that seems like weird way to think about it given the games supported on it until the recent announcement were only PS3 games.

Edit -

Drunk man not reading correctly.

Top Bottom