• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultima 7's weird camera (also does the game hold up?)

My favorite UO story was how they developed this population control system with the animals where imbalances in one population could have causes elsewhere.

So if the wolf population was low there would be more deer and hence less herbs or monsters that ate wolves would find something else to kill and things like that were possible.

Then they went live and in a couple days the players had killed everything.

Shroud of the Avatar Opening cinematic

Updated trailer from August 2016 (winner of a contest for users to create a new trailer for the game)
Note that the trailer is mostly about the MMO bits, though of course the single player game still has all that.

but damn, they've raised $1.9 million of a $1 million goal.
More than that, including post-Kickstarter pledges and sales of in-game items like houses, they've raised $11.4 million.

Freaking Tracy Hickman from the Dragonlance series wrote for the game. I have to try it now.

-Edit: Wow, the reviews are NOT good.
Note that none of the reviews are about the story gameplay, and are reviewing an early in-development game that's constantly changing. I've played a bit of the story, and it really brings back feelings of classic Ultima. I won't play it for its MMO, but I'll definitely playing for the story.

The game is probably going to be released in the fall or winter, I would guess. The story is due to be feature-complete at the end of July.

jb1234

Ultima VII was massively ahead of its time. Although honestly, the main thing I remember is how much EFFORT it took just to get the damned thing running in the early 90s. Gamers these days have it fucking easy.

I hated the combat in U7. It was full auto and mostly pointless. I remember spending minutes planning my next move in U5 and U6 in some parts. At least it became super easy with Forge of Virtue once you rig your strength to 60 and get the black sword.

Otherwise fantastic game. I always loved the world design of Britannia and the uniqueness of each town. Was always fun when the new game came out and you can see how the world changed.

Renekton

My favorite UO story was how they developed this population control system with the animals where imbalances in one population could have causes elsewhere.

So if the wolf population was low there would be more deer and hence less herbs or monsters that ate wolves would find something else to kill and things like that were possible.

Then they went live and in a couple days the players had killed everything.
Honestly that is a realistic simulation.

walei

Growing up with JRPGs, playing Ultima 7 was a huge cultural shock for me back in the days. Took me a few tries playing from scratch but eventually I "got" it. I found myself so immersed in the game, the world, and the characters even though it was unlike anything I have ever played with the likes of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series.

I actually loved U9 and what it tried to do, it had a great soundtrack and traversing the world was actually an enjoyable experience after they released that patch CD lol. But the game butchered Britannia and I am still sad that there was not a true follow up to the charm of Britannia in U7.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Shroud of the Avatar Opening cinematic

Updated trailer from August 2016 (winner of a contest for users to create a new trailer for the game)
Note that the trailer is mostly about the MMO bits, though of course the single player game still has all that.

More than that, including post-Kickstarter pledges and sales of in-game items like houses, they've raised $11.4 million.

Note that none of the reviews are about the story gameplay, and are reviewing an early in-development game that's constantly changing. I've played a bit of the story, and it really brings back feelings of classic Ultima. I won't play it for its MMO, but I'll definitely playing for the story.

The game is probably going to be released in the fall or winter, I would guess. The story is due to be feature-complete at the end of July.

Wait, what single player? I backed it because it was supposed to be a single player follow up to Ultima, but RG decided to make it an awful MMO instead.

Tunahead

My favorite part of Ultima VII was the bit with Elizabeth and Abraham and the bits of their evil plot that involved a cube, a sphere and a pyramid. Strongly reminded me of something, they did.

Oh and The Game, of course. I know The Game. Don't try your shit on me, Chuck.

Actually that's not true at all, my favorite parts were probably the murder intrigue right from the start and maybe Skara Brae, I just wanted to show off my extensive knowledge of Ultima VII trivia. I am a fraud and my life is a lie.

1upsuper

How about The Official Book of Ultima? :) It covers the production of Ultima I-VI. Link to PDF riiiiight here:
https://archive.org/stream/TheOfficialBookOfUltima/The-Official-Book-of-Ultima#page/n0/mode/2up
YGXSrwA.png

For a comprehensive survey of old adventures and CRPGs, this site is phenomenal: http://www.filfre.net/sitemap/

Here's his post on Ultima V: http://www.filfre.net/2016/02/ultima-v/

Awesome, thank you both!

It doesn't really feel like a 'red herring' situation as much as it does "We've only made enough Main Quest to fill a fraction of the world we've designed"
Ah, I see.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My favorite part of Ultima VII was the bit with Elizabeth and Abraham and the bits of their evil plot that involved a cube, a sphere and a pyramid. Strongly reminded me of something, they did.

Always worth a chuckle. And not just the suspiciously-shaped artifacts. That is one loaded rabbit hole, when you add in the Fellowship cult elements.

Spladam

I started it again last night, decided to go vanilla. Forgot about the opening murder mystery, still have not gotten out of the town (towne) though, spent too much time trying to remember how to play int he sandbox.

-Edit: If anyone is playing the GOG version, remember that GOG puts a custom DOSBOX configuration exe in the game folder, has it's own handy little interface for scaling and resolution, and also lets you choose the graphics api. Was very helpful for playing on my TV, as Dosbox does not stretch in full screen on my TV.

just went to shroud of the avatar and looked at the video they had on the site.

:(

not only does the MMOness and the way it looks disappoint.

The steam reviews are a blood bath too. Why didn't they make this SP

Top Bottom